collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:57:59 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Never meet your hero  (Read 50868 times)

Offline Rimmy Jimmer

Re: Never meet your hero
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Malandro you are correct about Staunton. He is a proper prick. He was most certainly not my hero, but i remember getting Paul McGrath to sign  a book just as the team were off to Barnsley in 1997 ish for an FA Cup match. I said to Staunton C'mon Steve lets bring the Cup back home this season as we havent won it for 40 years. He replied in his irish teang ..."we won a cup last year" and jumped on the coach!

Offline rutski

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
Just rememberd meeting Paul Mcgrath at the villa store in the pavillions when he was book signing. I clammed up and only said"my Mum used to live not far from you in Dublin, on Arbour Hill, You know by the prison". Paul Smiled and said yeah i know it, shook my hand and laughed!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
I met Sir Graham twice in the promotion season when I was only 16/17. Me and a couple of mates waited for him and the team to come out after the first game at Ipswich and then I met him a few months later at a forum for Nigel Spink's testimonial. It probably won't shock you to know that he was friendly, patient and basically just a quality bloke. Class.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
Malandro you are correct about Staunton. He is a proper prick. He was most certainly not my hero, but i remember getting Paul McGrath to sign  a book just as the team were off to Barnsley in 1997 ish for an FA Cup match. I said to Staunton C'mon Steve lets bring the Cup back home this season as we havent won it for 40 years. He replied in his irish teang ..."we won a cup last year" and jumped on the coach!

and then fucked off back to Liverpool a year or so later, great manager though did really well COUGH !!! ::)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »
My old man met John Carew at the Fort shopping centre a few years ago, very polite and humble apparently. Curtis Davies once came inches away from running me over.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
Just rememberd meeting Paul Mcgrath at the villa store in the pavillions when he was book signing. I clammed up and only said"my Mum used to live not far from you in Dublin, on Arbour Hill, You know by the prison". Paul Smiled and said yeah i know it, shook my hand and laughed!

My mate tried to buy him a pint in the players bar when it was all free once, he still had one with us mind pure class

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »
My old man met John Carew at the Fort shopping centre a few years ago, very polite and humble apparently. Curtis Davies once came inches away from running me over.

he did tend to miss a lot of things  ;)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »
if i was ever to sit down for a pint with Shaw, Morley, Bremner etc, i honestly dont think i would be able to talk

i've never met any of the golden era personaly

I've met a few of them and generally managed to mumble "hello" to them i'm so awe.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »

and then fucked off back to Liverpool a year or so later, great manager though did really well COUGH !!! ::)

I met him as well. Didn't leave a good impression.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
When I first started regularly going to Villa park as a teenager I spent many an hour with programmes and autograph book waiting at the railings behind the old club shop (in front of the Trinity Road stand). I met all the players in the 1980 - 82 era and all were happy to sign autographs inc some opposition players - Brooking/Keegan etc.
I met Ron Saunders (along with the league champions trophy) at a charity do at a Wake Green FC and he was a lovely chap posing for photos etc.
I have also met plenty of the recent squads and some more than others were willing to sign stuff (Petrov stands out, as he parked his Bentley and got out to sign and pose for photos with my kids). One of the most miserable buggers was Marlon Harewood as he just stropped through the group of fans with a sulky face.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
if i was ever to sit down for a pint with Shaw, Morley, Bremner etc, i honestly dont think i would be able to talk

Same here. Thirty years later and I would still be star struck.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »

i was much the same when i met peterwithesshin

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »

Meet Legion and you're likely to be lightning-struck.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »

Meet Legion and you're likely to be lightning-struck.

we are FB friends, thats as close as i dare get

Offline TRO

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »
I met Shaun Teale when he was managing Burscough and he was great.

I talk to him on FB. He responds back to all. Top man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal