collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Never meet your hero  (Read 51031 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Never meet your hero
« on: June 12, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
I was shopping in Marks and Spencers (Southport)  and literally bumped one of my favourite ex Villa players ... Steve McMahon.

I said hello and indroduced myself as a Villa fan who watched him when he signed for us from Everton (before he legged it back up the M6). He was polite and answered my questions about where he was working now (ESPN - Singapore) but didn`t seem keen to talk about the Villa per se.

As I imagined Steve was a man of few words - however I wished we had someone of his ilk to slot into midfield next season.

As we left the shop I introduced VCTM jnr to one of my favourite all time Villa players and he did speak to my son.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Never meet your hero
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »
I met Shaun Teale when he was managing Burscough and he was great.

Offline Barry Shaw

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
I used to play for Bromsgrove Rovers in the very early 90's and Tony Grealish was there who I had spent time with when I was playing in the reserves/youth team at Walsall. Top bloke. Anyway, at training one night who waltzes in but Tony Morley. Imagine my dismay when he came across as an arrogant, big headed tw@t of a bloke, especially when I used to idolise him as a kid. Have met many villa players since but that stands out as the one time I wished I hadn't

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
Bumped into a few in town, mainly shit ones like Cuellar, Knight and Delfouneso.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
I used to play for Bromsgrove Rovers in the very early 90's and Tony Grealish was there who I had spent time with when I was playing in the reserves/youth team at Walsall. Top bloke. Anyway, at training one night who waltzes in but Tony Morley. Imagine my dismay when he came across as an arrogant, big headed tw@t of a bloke, especially when I used to idolise him as a kid. Have met many villa players since but that stands out as the one time I wished I hadn't

That's a real surprise because he's always been one of the best of the lot.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »
Morley is sound, in fact, good company. 

Offline rutski

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
i have met most of the legends clan as part of andy blairs evenings that he puts on for wayne at the britannia pub in wollaston.
my experience of them all is great. They are down to earth guys who are very humble in their achievements.
Had a couple of pints with Jimmy Rimmer, bought Ken Mcnaught a pint of IPA and Gary Shaw a pint of lager! All the players are willing to sign stuff that you take along.
These primadonnas of the modern age dont appreciate or deserve your adulation. We havent got many who wear our shirt with pride. I was bursting with pride last night with Mellberg on the pitch instead of that pretender olsen from the boggies.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
Never meet your hero & go drinking with him.  I tried that with McGrath in 1994 on my honeymoon, needless to say it was an incredible evening, I just wish I could remember more about it.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
Morley is sound, in fact, good company. 

well i met Sid a few times  and he refused to be blood brothers with me and be my new  best friend   I  think he was scared of me  ???

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
Steve Staunton is a dick. I went to see his comeback from serious injury against York reserves and at the end he said he would come back out to sign autographs and chat to the children - he legged it and left lots of disappointed kids.

I knew he'd do it too. Fuck wit.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
Met Ian Taylor at the friendly v Derby last season, happy to sign any autographs and have photos taken as well as chat about the Villa.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
if i was ever to sit down for a pint with Shaw, Morley, Bremner etc, i honestly dont think i would be able to talk

i've never met any of the golden era personaly

Offline Damo70

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
I first met up with my childhood Villa hero Tony Morley about six years ago in connection with a charity and getting a shirt off him. He went above and beyond the call of duty when it came to his time and effort. In conversations with him he was friendly, polite, patient, modest and good fun. Top bloke. I also met Steve McMahon at an end of season awards when he was Swindon manager and my girlfriend at the time had a brother playing for their youth team. After introducing myself as a Villa fan who was a fan of his in his time at the club I can confirm that he is a man of few words and didn't seem inclined to chat about the Villa.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
Although i never saw him play, I was a tad bit nervous when Sir Brian signed me copy of 'Return of the Little Villian' in Smiths in town many moons ago. He was my brother's favourite player so it meant a lot just to get to meet him. He was great though, a really nice chap.

Sir Graham walked past me after a forum he did (if memory served me right, it was'nt long after he took over as England manager) but i've never said hello to the bloke as much as I'd like to.

Online stubbsyandy

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
It was great to meet Des Bremner, Tony Morley and Pat Heard recently at our local...really nice guys with some interesting insights into their days of league and European Cup wins.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal