collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov to remain as club captain  (Read 9553 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Petrov to remain as club captain
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
I can see why the Club wouldn't want to stop supporting it, but tbh, right from the start I wished they wouldn't put a prompt on the screen (although it is helpful from the point of view of knowing when the minute is up).
To use the phrase of the moment, it makes it feel a bit "north Korea", which is a misrepresentation of what actually happened. The idea came from the fans, and if it had been left with the fans it would have had a natural term to it. The club now have to decide whether to continue to "orchestrate" it, or to look heartless by stopping it - they've painted themselves into a bit of a corner really.
Having said that, the simple answer is for the man with the finger on the button to wait and see whether the fans start it, and then put the picture/message up if we do.

There's also the possible tricky situation that could occur if something happens like say, the opposition scores or a controversial incident such as a penalty claim on the exact moment of the 19th minute.  Far better that it's spontaneous than risking the gesture being devalued because Villa fans are swearing at the referee or similar.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
I can see why the Club wouldn't want to stop supporting it, but tbh, right from the start I wished they wouldn't put a prompt on the screen (although it is helpful from the point of view of knowing when the minute is up).
To use the phrase of the moment, it makes it feel a bit "north Korea", which is a misrepresentation of what actually happened. The idea came from the fans, and if it had been left with the fans it would have had a natural term to it. The club now have to decide whether to continue to "orchestrate" it, or to look heartless by stopping it - they've painted themselves into a bit of a corner really.
Having said that, the simple answer is for the man with the finger on the button to wait and see whether the fans start it, and then put the picture/message up if we do.

There's also the possible tricky situation that could occur if something happens like say, the opposition scores or a controversial incident such as a penalty claim on the exact moment of the 19th minute.  Far better that it's spontaneous than risking the gesture being devalued because Villa fans are swearing at the referee or similar.

I had previously wondered what it would be like if something like this happened in the 19th minute.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »
I have thought this myself, but the odds on us scoring from a corner in the 19th minute these days with, say, a fiver on it, would mean mortgage redemption for me !

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
It was quite bizarre clapping while the opponents had us under pressure winning corners etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal