collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov to remain as club captain  (Read 9555 times)

Offline martin@ardenley

• Administrator
  • GM : 01.01.2024
Petrov to remain as club captain
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »
From the OS

Paul Lambert insists Stiliyan Petrov will remain as club skipper next season - but revealed he will be looking for a team captain to lead his lions out to do battle on the pitch.

Lambert said Petrov's influence throughout the whole club dictates that he retains the figurehead position for the coming campaign.

But while the popular 32-year-old fights leukaemia in the loving company of his nearest and dearest, Lambert will assess the most suitable candidate to rally the troops for the 2012-13 term.

Lambert admits he was "sickened and devastated" when he heard news of Petrov's ailment because of his memories of the player as a fantastically fit star at Celtic.

But the new Villa boss insists Petrov will beat the disease.

He said: "Stiliyan is still club captain, no doubt. Even if I wasn't manager of Aston Villa, his health is more important to me than anything.

"I just need to look for a team captain but I wouldn't take anything away from Stiliyan for what he's done here and what he's going through at the minute.

"He is a huge influence on this football club. I will go down and see him again, I text him and see how he's feeling.

"This is an illness that affects thousands of people and it's hard because of the relationship I had with him. I played with him when he was only 19 and he first came over to Scotland.

"I had eight or so years with him. That's a long time to have someone as a team-mate. I just hope and I'm pretty sure he will beat that.

"At the time I was told, we were on our way to Fulham. I was just devastated. I couldn't believe it.

"He was at Celtic, he was one of the fittest footballers I'd ever played with. It just makes a mockery of life, really, because of how fit he was.

"He's such a strong lad and a terrific guy. Hopefully he'll be okay and be here. It makes you sick, actually, when you have played with someone and seen them in their prime and are close to them then you know he has an illness like that.

"Your health is more important than anything. I'm pretty sure he'll beat that."

Lambert visited Petrov some months ago and got a good vibe from the midfield marvel.

He added: "I was with him for a few hours. He was doing great and I'm looking forward to going back down to see him."

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: Petrov to remain as club captain
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
Some nice genuine comments by the Manager there.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
The story does deserve a thread of it's own. I stuck it in the Celtic friendly thread. Great comments by Lambert. He clearly is very close to Stan and this is a nice thing to do.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
That will give Petrov a huge boost. Well done Mr Lambert.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
Has there been any word as to how Stan is getting on? 

Offline woody4866

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »
A genuine and heartfelt piece that – well done Lambo

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
A woman who came into my place of work saw my Stan tee shirt and told me that her son is one of the oncologists from UCL treating Stan.   She said her son had said what a nice man Stan is and that he was "doing very well".   It is of course a stock assessment of seriously ill patients but I pass it on for what it is worth.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
A woman who came into my place of work saw my Stan tee shirt and told me that her son is one of the oncologists from UCL treating Stan.   She said her son had said what a nice man Stan is and that he was "doing very well".   It is of course a stock assessment of seriously ill patients but I pass it on for what it is worth.
Thanks Brian,that's good to hear

Offline AvFc4eVeR

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
Well done PL. Will the 19th minute applause carry on next season?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
Well done Paul for keeping Stan as club captain and some great insight into their career togather at Celtic.
On the 19th minute issue I think we should discontinue that as we need to move on from last season and Stan knows he has our best wishes. I think he being the man he is would do the same.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
A sensible approach from the manager, keeping Petrov on as club captain but looking for an inspirational team captain.  Let's not kid ourselves, this is a serious illness and seeing Petrov playing at the top level is remote, bearing in mind he is 32 now.

The choice of team captain would appear then to be a long term selection and not a stop gap solution.  I do not see anybody in the current squad that is up to it.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »
Good stuff from the new boss and keep fighting Stan.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
Well done PL. Will the 19th minute applause carry on next season?

As much as I supported it (and respect those who started it), I don't think that it should continue next season.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »
I can't see the 19th minute tribute stopping. Only needs a few to start it, and then who wouldn't join in?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »
I think it will still happen naturally.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal