collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Faulkner: Is He Delivering?  (Read 41874 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Paul Faulkner: Is He Delivering?
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
We had a wage bill of ~90% of turnover and have been kept in the black by numerous loans from the owner, there has been no immediate danger but it was clearly where we'd have been heading without wholesale changes.  I clearly played it up a bit (mainly to get some responses if I'm honest) but the facts are we were in a terrible financial position when he got the job, the reasons for which are irrelevant to(this discussion.

The whole point is, no one likes the people who are in charge when the money dries up, but if they do the job well, without the consequences being too great, and the spending starts again in the future then you have to applaud them.  At the minute we've only seen PF in the bad times, lets give him a year of not being the fall-guy before we judge him too harshly.

I'd liken it to the government but I guess the difference is slashing costs without a concern is fine when it means a relegation scrap or 2 but doing it at the expense of a couple of million people having jobs is possibly taking things a bit far.

Your surname isn't Faulkner is it?

Afraid not, and I'm not ginger either.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
I think paul's post above is very accurate. What it doesn't explain is PF's role in two cack handed and wrong managerial appointments. I also think they were over confident about the youth and may have cut too far too fast on the senior playing side, tho it's actually hard to see that sidwell, NRC and l young would have made that much difference last year. I guess if the makoun, Hutton, jenas and CNZ signings had come off in any respect we'd have been in a much better position. So perhaps it all comes back to the managerial appointments

For instance, if we'd bought cabaye, ben arfa, frimpong (loan) and Naughton, under the leadership of a decent manager, I'm sure we'd have been infinitely better off and just as Newcastle are doing, would be demonstrating you can cut your cloth accordingly and still succeed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:37:47 AM by Matt Collins »

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »
For instance, if we'd bought cabaye

Were we not going to get Cabaye in if Houllier had stayed on?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
So I keep hearing, but not from anyone who really knows.

See also: Keane, R, and McGeady, A.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:01:16 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
I just cannot see how people say the GH appointment was a disaster.

Pubehead walked with 5 days to a season to go
The club like all of us must have been shocked at that point
What self respecting manager would do the same dispicable thing and leave their club to join us at that time.
We looked good with Kev Mc against Wet spam but bloody awful when hammered by the bar codes
Of all the out of work managers (as that was really only our choice) GH surely had to be the most experienced and credible - we got him, eventually

There were some PR cock ups and he loved 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' a bit too much but at least we saw signs of good football and some decent reults

Unless as some have wondered TSM was part of the master plan to cut away the dross on huge wages and to be well paid to be the fall guy then the only thing i would blame PF for would be the TSM appointment. And that i would put down to inexperience and i am sure both he and randy have learned a lot by it

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »

What self respecting manager would do the same dispicable thing and leave their club to join us at that time.
We looked good with Kev Mc against Wet spam but bloody awful when hammered by the bar codes
Of all the out of work managers (as that was really only our choice) GH surely had to be the most experienced and credible - we got him, eventually

What despicable manager, let me see, erm....Paul Lambert maybe?  He walked out on Colchester after the first game of a new season.  The idea that we could only attract somebody out of work, and that the virtually retired Houllier was the best option is utter nonsense in my opinion.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
I agree.  We had to put Villa first and be agressive in going after the right man.  We didn't and ended up with someone in semi-retirement with heart problems.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
What despicable manager, let me see, erm....Paul Lambert maybe?  He walked out on Colchester after the first game of a new season.

Well, RL and PF were determined to be "nice guys" at the time as I recall.  They decided against going after somebody in work on principal. 

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »

There were some PR cock ups and he loved 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' a bit too much but at least we saw signs of good football and some decent reults

Unless as some have wondered TSM was part of the master plan to cut away the dross on huge wages and to be well paid to be the fall guy then the only thing i would blame PF for would be the TSM appointment. And that i would put down to inexperience and i am sure both he and randy have learned a lot by it

To be perfectly honest I regard McLeish and Houllier on the same level.In McLeish's defence he may have been shit but not once did he disrespect us, the fans in the manner that steaming  pile of shit Houllier did.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »

To be perfectly honest I regard McLeish and Houllier on the same level.In McLeish's defence he may have been shit but not once did he disrespect us, the fans in the manner that steaming  pile of shit Houllier did.

no but we had to be' realistic against the elite clubs' .  what would he had said if we had played liquidized Rangers? , (did they even like him??)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2012, 01:39:10 PM »
I think paul's post above is very accurate. What it doesn't explain is PF's role in two cack handed and wrong managerial appointments. I also think they were over confident about the youth and may have cut too far too fast on the senior playing side, tho it's actually hard to see that sidwell, NRC and l young would have made that much difference last year. I guess if the makoun, Hutton, jenas and CNZ signings had come off in any respect we'd have been in a much better position. So perhaps it all comes back to the managerial appointments

For instance, if we'd bought cabaye, ben arfa, frimpong (loan) and Naughton, under the leadership of a decent manager, I'm sure we'd have been infinitely better off and just as Newcastle are doing, would be demonstrating you can cut your cloth accordingly and still succeed.

Houllier wasn't a bad idea in theory, manager known to play good football, experienced at all levels of the game, had a reasonable record with bringing through younger players and came from a role in youth development.  The health thing can't be considered, doctors confirmed he was fine so it shouldn't have been a risk, it was in hindsight but nothing before the appointment would've been conclusive to suggest not going for it.  That he made a number of gaffes can't be blamed on the board.

TSM was a bad choice but as I've said, I'm convinced that they were told to ignore his time at blues and look at his record elsewhere and what they saw was someone they thought could be our Moyes.  We all disagree and ignoring the sheer volume of ill feeling was silly as it was always going to stay just below the surface.

Lambert is the fans choice, that was clear when we played Norwich, so as fans even if this one goes wrong we have no right to blame the board for a bad appointment.

So as it stands 1 decision made to be the nice guys which could've gone either way, 1 shocker that went against the fans and 1 good appointment that was exactly what the fans wanted.   Not great clearly but the latest choice (along with interviewing OGS) shows that they're improving, this comes back to them slowly learning what the game is about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal