collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Author Topic: Other clubs' transfers  (Read 721771 times)

Offline TheSandman

• prolific poster
  • GM : May, 2013
Re: Other clubs' transfers
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24:10 AM »
It's quite interesting and refreshing how none of the top flight clubs looking for new managers have gone for the same old names who have been round the block and failed time and again.

Offline cheltenhamlion

• player manager
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »
The Olbiyun fans didn't want Hughton either. Below the new Kings of the Midlands by all accounts.

Online pauliewalnuts

• prolific poster
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 08:46:38 AM »
Baggies fans not happy about Steve clarke looking likely

I don't see why not, his record as a number two is pretty impressive.

Obviously, it'd take him a while to get up to speed with their Brazil 1970 brand of football and whatnot, but he could prove himself to be worthy, given the time.

The deluded, stripey bell-ends

Offline Hookeysmith

• coach
  • GM : 27.10.2016
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
Anybody know anything about that Shinji Kagawa that Man United have signed? Apparently he's a world beater but I literally have no idea who he is.

Another far eastern player to sell a million shirts to the tourists - anyone remember Dong?
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Kagawa is a fantastic player. And will easily be one of the best players in the league next season.
mate i remember when JS.Park was the best thing to come out of WC 2006 when he was with Korea - i thought he was a great little player for United but then his star faded and he is hardly seen now

Time will tell

Offline Somniloquism

• player manager
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »

Obviously, it'd take him a while to get up to speed with their Brazil 1970 brand of football and whatnot, but he could prove himself to be worthy, given the time.

I would take Steve Clarke as a Assistant / 1st team coach any day of the week. But we have seen very good coaches bomb as managers before. (McClaren, Kidd, etc). Hughton has shown it can sometimes work though.

Offline PaulWinch again

• prolific poster
  • GM : 06.02.2017
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:11 PM »
Anybody know anything about that Shinji Kagawa that Man United have signed? Apparently he's a world beater but I literally have no idea who he is.

Another far eastern player to sell a million shirts to the tourists - anyone remember Dong?
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Kagawa is a fantastic player. And will easily be one of the best players in the league next season.
mate i remember when JS.Park was the best thing to come out of WC 2006 when he was with Korea - i thought he was a great little player for United but then his star faded and he is hardly seen now

Time will tell

I think Kagawa is a whole different standard, Park was always a useful solid player. Kagawa is a massive talent.

Offline LeeB

• player manager
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »

It's a perfect fit as I've always associated the bog-eyes with No.2's.

Offline Dave

• prolific poster
  • GM : 04.11.2015
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »

Time will tell
And why is Kagawa automatically being categorised alongside Park? They don't play the same position, they don't speak the same language, they haven't played in the same leagues and they don't come from the same country.

When Chelsea signed Mikel, people didn't assume "oh, he must be a bit like Drogba then".

And I mean this in a general way rather than you specifically, but I just find the way the Kagawa transfer has been reported and commented on extremely patronising and ignorant.

Offline PeterWithe

• first team
  • GM : 27.04.2016
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »
Is it that strange that people are questioning an enormous transfer fee on a guy with only a season in a top league?

Offline Dave

• prolific poster
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »
Not really. But then I'd say that 12m isn't a particularly huge amount of money for a club in that position. I'd rather have a 12m Kagawa than a 32m Hazard. And not many people are suggesting that signing him is particularly risky for Chelsea. And he's had two seasons being generally brilliant for Dortmund, not one.

What I do find strange though is that some people are automatically assuming that he's just like another player with whom he shares no real similarities apart from skin colour.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:40:40 PM by Dave »

Offline seanthevillan

• international
    • pick our team
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:46 PM »
Is it that strange that people are questioning an enormous transfer fee on a guy with only a season in a top league?

Kagawa? 2 seasons, and he has probably been the best player overall for the champions in both seasons. A few posters have mentioned his goal ratio - also from memory he has scored the first/winning goal on 4/5 occasions as well.

I posted on the other thread that I thought he was about 5 mill too much (at the reported 17 million), but apparently its 12 plus add ons. So Fergie must agree with me.

Offline ozzjim

• prolific poster
  • GM : 14.09.2017
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »
Was it not a different Park that took the headlines in the 2006 world cup too? I recall United's Park always being a functional player, which in fairness he still is when picked. I would have him in our midfield.

Offline Dave

• prolific poster
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »
I don't think South Korea made any particular impression at the 2006 World Cup and I don't think any player really prompted any 'headlines'.

A narrow win over Togo, a point against France, a defeat to Switzerland and elimination in the first round.

Offline DBTW

• first team
    • http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
Regarding Steve Clarke, where are the facts to say he is a great number two coming from?

The reality is he was Mourinho's assistant at Chelsea. Jose has gone on to win everything without Clarke proving that he is the genius.

At Newcastle, Clarke didn't win a thing.

At West Ham he saw his team relegated and manager sacked.

At Liverpool he saw his team underachieve and subsequently manager sacked.

How is he branded as this genius number two???

Offline curiousorange

• coach
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
Regarding Steve Clarke, where are the facts to say he is a great number two coming from?

The reality is he was Mourinho's assistant at Chelsea. Jose has gone on to win everything without Clarke proving that he is the genius.

At Newcastle, Clarke didn't win a thing.

At West Ham he saw his team relegated and manager sacked.

At Liverpool he saw his team underachieve and subsequently manager sacked.

How is he branded as this genius number two???

Look at the clubs he worked with after Mourinho. All deluded.