collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dave Whelan  (Read 47845 times)

Offline badluckeric(gates)

Re: Dave Whelan
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
I came on here to put a similar thread on, glad I don't have to bother. Yes, he's getting to me now. The guy is deluded and if Martinez was that good his team wouldn't have been missing for 30 of the 38 games.
He'd make a great substitute manager, bring him on in the last few games of the season.....

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »
he's also one of the very few chairmen who has played the game at proffesional level

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »
Whelan has had nothing to do with JJB Sports for 5 years now.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
Just imagine if Martinez did leave and Whelan hired Ian Holloway to replace him.  What a double act that would be!!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
Dave Whelan doesnt have anything to do with JJB Sports now I think, but dont let me stop anybody leaving bodily waste there.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
The biggest laugh would come from Martinez going to somewhere like Swansea or Norwich! 

Offline Billinge Villan

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
I live approx 5 miles from Wigan and knowing people who work for him and have had dealings with him say he's a bully of the top order. He treats everybody with contempt, no doubt Martinez will find out sooner or later what he is like and he'll probably end up managing Derby or SHA in a year or two.

I know some stories about him but id better not put them on this board.  He even treats the Rugby lot like shit which is ok by me (im a St.Helens Season ticket holder), when he took over Orell RU he sold them down the river and the clubhouse mysteriously burnt down one night.

Offline enigma

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
I wouldn't want Martinez anyway, any guy who cannot speak for himself but needs a chairman to act as his puppetmaster and speak for him, is not for me.

From what I've heard, Martinez is none to happy with the way Whelan has been constantly mouthing of to the press this last week or so. He'd really rather not have Whelan acting as his mouthpiece at all.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 12:26:48 PM »
The biggest laugh would come from Martinez going to somewhere like Swansea or Norwich! 

*praying emoticon*

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dave_Whelan

Dave Whelan

David Whelan (born Oop Norf in Yorkshire on 24 November, bloody ages ago), is a former professional footballer with Blackburn Rovers, a gobshite, and the current owner of Wigan "not so" Athletic football club. Additionally, he owns the JJB dosswear chain (football shirt prices non-negotiable) and the Pooles Pies Stadium where Wigan play. He is regarded as Wigan's only Expert of British Footballing Law, well in his own eyes at least.

Whelan was a member of Blackburn Rovers' 1960 FA cup final team, which lost heavily 0-3 to Wolverhampton Wanderers. Whelan himself did not complete the match, breaking a leg during the first half. Whelan's injury is one of a catalogue of serious injuries suffered by players in the 1950-60 era and was known as the Wembley hoodoo.

After retiring as a footballer, Whelan sought to attain some qualifications to compete on the saturated job market with. He trained at Wigan Polytechnic for 5 years to attain his degree in bias, to which he is stated to be very proud of. It was while studying there that Whelan met his future partner Mark "the ******" Lawrenson who was also a washed up footballer at the time and was studying for his qualification in inaccurate predictions.

Wigan Athletic

He bought Wigan Athletic in 1995 when they were an unfashionable Division Three side. Since then the club has made huge progress and are, nowadays, an equally unfashionable Premiership side. This rise began with the Division Three title in 1997, Division Two title in 2003 and promotion to the Premiership as Championship runners-up in 2005. He has appointed six managers during his time at Wigan: John Deehan (1995-98), Jeremy Bentham (1998-2000), Bruce Forsyth (2000-01), Steve Irwin (March-May 2001), Paul Jewell (2001-2007), Chris Hutchings (About a fortnight) and Crying Old Geordie Woman (2008-). Thanks to Whelan's resources, Wigan, who were tipped to be relegated from the Premier League in their first season, managed to stay up, and claimed a high league position, They also got to their first Cup final in 2006 when they reached the League Cup Final.

in the 2006-2007 season, Wigan Athletic were exposed for the Championship team they really are after losing 3-0 to West Ham United. In an attempt to shift the blame from his own team, Whelan appeared in numerous interviews threatening legal action against West Ham United because they beat them. In other statements he went on to references to having complete faith in Paul Jewell as Wigan manager and more, stating "if he can command a team anything like he can command my whip, he's the right man for the job". The next day Jewell was sacked. Upon questioning on his motives for this, Whelan claimed he had never liked the "miserable fat ******".

Trivia

Whelan's business JJB was originally known as BJ but upon learning what the acronym actually meant, rebranded immediately in order to save face. Due to licensing issues the stadium kept the original name. Many people still regard the business as BJ, however, and rivals Mike Ashley Shit Sports Inc as purveyor of rubbish chavvie apparel for man, woman and bastard offspring. owns DW sports fitness which employs mcnuggets

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »
I hope we give Whelan as much abuse as possible when Wigan arrive at Villa Park this season

I really cannot support your call for abuse.

However, I do think football club chairman who complain when they get called Fat Gobby Delusional Bullying Northern Bastards are a little bit out of order and should just get on with it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wigan-chairman-Dave-Whelan-says-of-racism-row-that-players-should-forget-colour-and-get-on-with-the-game-article823747.html

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
he's also one of the very few chairmen who has played the game at proffesional level

john e here, supporting someone who has gone on record more than once belittling the Villa.

Offline Fred

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
A long period of silence is required from Mr Whelan.

Offline glasses

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
God you lot are precious. So what if Whelan wants to shoot his mouth off. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
There's nothing precious about calling a twat a twat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal