collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other clubs' managers  (Read 598487 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Other clubs' managers
« Reply #4230 on: November 20, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
A chequebook manager working for a chairman who doesn't like spending money. This could be the worst marriage since Bill Wyman married Mandy Smith.

There is zero chance that he will have taken the job if he wasn't going to be given serious cash.

I don't see it as being a particularly bad move for either party. Pochettino did a great job but seemed to have lost his way. A lot of the people saying he should have been given more time were the same that said they were crazy to get rid of Redknapp for him in the first place, and that worked out okay.

I just don't see how it'll work personally.

Clubs that have done well at the top end of the table in recent years - Man City, Liverpool, Pochettino's Spurs, even Leicester - have had a strong ethos in terms of what they wanted to be as a club, as well as a style of play. All 4 are/have been characterised by strong attacking football.

Mourinho has become known for a defensive, cagey, not very dynamic and extremely expensive brand of football that fits none of the things Spurs have seemingly been standing for in recent years. He is, in so many ways, the opposite of a Mauricio Pochettino.

It might not end in total disaster, but in my opinion they haven't a hope in hell of finishing Top 3, which Poch has consistently achieved for three seasons in a row. Perhaps he's been told "top six and a cup" will do, given Spurs are starved of silverware, but something tells me Levy is too shrewd a businessman to favour a trophy over the economic advantage of CL qualification.

But don't get me wrong. I'll be delighted if/when it all falls apart.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 23.05.2016
« Reply #4231 on: November 20, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »
Spurs had a reputation for signing young players and bringing youth players through the ranks. Will they did anyway.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #4232 on: November 20, 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
Before these knob head Spurs fans start moaning on Sports shows about playing the "Spurs way" and other bullshit

They need some perspective

In the 137 year history of Spurs they are accredited with winning 25 major honours

In his Managerial career Mourinho has won 24 major honours

He will win them a trophy of sort - its almost guaranteed

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : 31.12.2019
« Reply #4233 on: November 20, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
25? Are we counting Charity Shields as major trophies, then?

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #4234 on: November 20, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »
Mourinho will do well for 18 months and then it will all fall apart - sky will be loving this!

I would be surprised if it is 18months. Most players know what he is like now and I don't think his "All me for the wins, all the bad players for the losses and nothing to do with me" plays well nowadays with his squads.

I suspect we will see if the issue is Poch losing the dressing room is to blame for the bad form though.

The White Harts take on this will be worth waiting for.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4235 on: November 20, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
The net spend of Poch in his five years at Spurs is about the same as Mourinho spent in his last twelve months at United.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 26.01.2020
« Reply #4236 on: November 20, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
Not a massive surprise Poch going, they seemed to have grown tired of each other and a change was probably due. But not that one.

Offline KRS

« Reply #4237 on: November 21, 2019, 06:44:49 AM »
It was only a matter of time for Poch with all the reported issues behind the scenes but still comes as a surprise. Spurs fans on SSN seem to think that Moaninho will bring them instant trophies and challenging for the PL title...a very delusional bunch and even though the players have been under performing, there may be an initial new manager bounce but Id be more surprised if he did.

Offline JD

• GM : 11.01.2020
« Reply #4238 on: November 21, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
Spurs fans I know are gutted. They didn't think Poch was supported and needed to refresh buy some new players in the summer to replace those who wanted to go, like Eriksson.

It will end in tears and (hopefully) Spurs demise back to mid table obscurity. 

Offline sid1964

« Reply #4239 on: November 21, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
I was listening to Jamie O'Hara on talksport on my way home from work

According to him they have the best stadium in the world, the best training ground in the world and the some of the best players in Europe, and in Pochetino they had 1 of the top ten managers in the world. 

If they have all the above why have they not won anything?

But Mourinho is a better manager than Pochettino

And watching Sky Sports news last night - I thought Jesus Christ had come back to earth to save us all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #4240 on: November 21, 2019, 11:09:38 AM »
Hard to argue with most of that, the stadium is brilliant and Pochettino clearly is a very good manager.  They haven't won anything because however good they've been, Man City and Liverpool have better managers and have spent more money.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4241 on: November 21, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »
Hard to argue with most of that, the stadium is brilliant and Pochettino clearly is a very good manager.  They haven't won anything because however good they've been, Man City and Liverpool have better managers and have spent more money.

Agreed that Pep and Klopp have an edge on Poch, but Mourinho is miles behind all 3, so if they think they've taken a step forward with this appointment I suspect the next year or so will be a real shock to the system.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #4242 on: November 21, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »
So would all of us be unhappy if Mourinhio was hypothetically one of our next Managers?

I would think it was maybe short termism but not a bad thing

Offline Nev

« Reply #4243 on: November 21, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »
I used to like Mourinhio, I still laugh like a drain when they show that footage of him racing down the touchline at Newton Heath, coat flapping behind him like Batman's cape.

The fire and steely determination that inspired his early days as a manager has now turned to a sour, cynical, paranoid negativity that appears to poison the teams he manages.

Of course, he may have changed but if I were a Spurs fan I wouldn't be looking forward to a cheery tenure, more a grinding slog to an inevitable rancorous departure.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4244 on: November 21, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »
25? Are we counting Charity Shields as major trophies, then?

Mourinho counts every Super Cup and Charity Shield. Same as Brian Clough, who used to go all out for the Texaco Cup, Watney Cup, Anglo Scottish Cup and Full Members Cup.