collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Baldy
[Today at 08:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Risso
[Today at 08:11:32 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Baldy
[Today at 08:02:49 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by KNVillan
[Today at 07:58:57 AM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 07:48:11 AM]

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carlos Cuéllar  (Read 37472 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Carlos Cuéllar
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
Solid player, better than Dunne or Collins and I'd prefer to have him than them but he's out of contract and they aren't. A lot of people here really rate him as Dunne and Collins have been so poor/disruptive the last two seasons whereas Carlos is generally solid and comes across as a decent bloke who had a decent relationship with the fans. I'd say he's not as good as some folk would make out nor as bad as others would say. I liked him but accepted he had his limitations. For example, for a Spaniard his passing is horrible.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »
Seems like somebody has tapped Grant Holt up, do you reckon he'd be a good fit at Sunderland? I know you need a goalscorer. Also, do you reckon you might make a big for Agbonlahor?

Enjoyed the piss-taking out of Manure by the way, well done!

O'Neill likes a physical presence up top, so there might be something in the Holt rumours. As for Agbonlahor, I think we might make a bid, he played some great football under O'Neill. Whether Villa would entertain a bid, or whether he'd come to Sunderland is another question.

Please please martin take gabby off our hands for £5m and all will be forgiven- i so hope somebody takes him!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
Solid enough, woeful distribution though. Ok for a right back, You can't be asking about the central defender Cuellar, if Mad Martin is in it will be for the right back.

At 30 he is still young for our Mart, I am sure a good 60k a week, 5 year contract will about sort it, and then not playing a game for the first 6 months.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
Seems like somebody has tapped Grant Holt up, do you reckon he'd be a good fit at Sunderland? I know you need a goalscorer. Also, do you reckon you might make a big for Agbonlahor?

Enjoyed the piss-taking out of Manure by the way, well done!

O'Neill likes a physical presence up top, so there might be something in the Holt rumours. As for Agbonlahor, I think we might make a bid, he played some great football under O'Neill. Whether Villa would entertain a bid, or whether he'd come to Sunderland is another question.

Please please martin take gabby off our hands for £5m and all will be forgiven- i so hope somebody takes him!

I reckon we'd get at least £8 million for him, maybe £10m. And if we got either I'd snap their hand off. He's had too many false dawns and his body language towards the end of the season was a disgrace. Captain my arse.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
Good, solid, no-nonsense defender. Wish we were keeping him on.

Offline RunRickyRun

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 07:33:35 PM »
Nice bloke but made a fair few blunders when played, too many for me to describe him as solid. On his day, he could handle anything thrown at him.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »
Nice bloke but made a fair few blunders when played, too many for me to describe him as solid. On his day, he could handle anything thrown at him.

I would have to agree!

Offline john2710

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
Sorry but 3 manager's, including the one who bought him, did not think him good enough to play. Good defender but not good enough footballer for the premiership and you need to be both these days.

Collins can go too.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »
a very good defender but poor with the ball

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »
Nice guy but as a centre-back is not a patch on Gary Cahill - who MON didn't think was worthy of a first team place.

One of several reasons your manager is not popular around here.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
Sorry but 3 manager's, including the one who bought him, did not think him good enough to play
Yeah. One of those thought Gary Cahill was worth selling to Bolton, one of them was Alex McLeish and one of them thought we should sack of half the first team squad without thinking about who was actually going to play.

They don't always get everything right.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 01:48:20 AM »
He seems a decent enough chap and a good professional. He would probably be a good acquisition if you want cheap backup for your first choice centre halves. He won't complain about lack of opportunity, and will give his best when asked.

He looked an awesome defender in Rangers' UEFA cup run before we signed him, but never really sparkled at Villa Park.

His best moments at right back were when would drift inside to cover the central defenders, which can be quite useful if you have two error prone pissheads playing there.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 04:40:33 AM »
It's time to move out the MON years defenders. For the most part they've been a liability. We must have the slowest, clumsiest back line in the top flight. If a decent offer came in for Hutton he'd be gone too. Shame Glasgow Rangers are in such rough shape. We need to get younger and faster in order to compete, and as a nice a bloke as Carlos is, he represents the past.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 06:00:44 AM »
It's time to move out the MON years defenders. For the most part they've been a liability. We must have the slowest, clumsiest back line in the top flight. If a decent offer came in for Hutton he'd be gone too. Shame Glasgow Rangers are in such rough shape. We need to get younger and faster in order to compete, and as a nice a bloke as Carlos is, he represents the past.

It says everything about MON's transfer dealings that Carlos was essentially an expensive replacement for Gary Cahill.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
It is bad idea to sign King Carlos if we got Gary Cahill waiting for opportunity.  It is another example of poor resources management from Martin O'Neill. Imagine if he kept Cahill, and use the money to buy Darren Bent and never bought Emile Heskey or Habib Bye. I bet he would be still working for Aston Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal