collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carlos Cuéllar  (Read 37338 times)

Offline 1973

Carlos Cuéllar
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
Sunderland supporter here.

I was just wondering how you lads rate Cuellar?  At 30 you'd think he'd still have a few Premier League years in him at least, so why hasn't he been offered a new contract - is he past his best?

I'm only asking because I think O'Neill might be interested in bringing him to Sunderland, having previously managed him.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Carlos Cuéllar
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
For a free transfer you'd be getting a decent defender but O'Neil tends to play his players out of position so expect him at right back which would be a waste. I reckon he'll go back to Spain anyway.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:39:40 AM by Clampy »

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »
I'm not sure MON rated him that highly though. He was another signing of his where he spent quite a lot of money, 8 million If I remember and then when he did play him it was generally out of position.

He is a solid pro and a good defender.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »
I feel a bit sorry for Cuellar, he's never really had a decent run of games playing in his best position of central defence. He isn't one of those defenders that makes many mistakes (like Richard Dunne for example) but there are times when you think 'he could have done better'.

He's a good, solid pro, good rapport with the fans and a thoroughly decent bloke. He was paid far too much for his ability which is probably the reason his contract was allowed to expire.

I could see O'Neill coming in for him if Carlos doesn't fancy going back to Spain.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:57:19 AM by PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:40:31 AM »
£80k per week on a 4 year contract should just about do it. Then play him out of position or not all.
I bet you Sunderland fans love MON right now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:42:52 AM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
Got a lot of time for Carlos It's just a shame MON never used him in his best position.

Offline 1973

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
Maybe he was played out of position because you've had some pretty decent central defensive pairings during his time at Villa? Lauersen and Davies/Dunne and Collins.

We don't have that luxury at the minute and a centre half spot is definitely up for grabs alongside O'Shea, who similarly is a good CB and a not so good RB.

Cheers for the answers so far.

Offline supertom

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
Good player. Reliable. Decent bloke and the sort of player you'd like to do well. I think we bished not keeping him on, whilst we're stuck with Dunne and Collins, both of whom have caused problems and had consistency and/or fitness issues. I'd take Carlos over any of our backline, any day of the week. He reads the game well. He needs someone solid next to him, who can organise, and has a bit of pace. I think he'd do well with Wes to be honest.

On a freebie though, you can't really go wrong. But like others have said, expect him to be played out of position or not much. Perhaps he's too nice for his own good and doesn't make enough fuss about being on the bench.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
Good player who never lets you down.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
Im suprised 1973 you havent posted about Heskey ?  ;)

Offline 1973

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
Shhhhhhh  ;D

I know all I need to know about Emile Ivanhoe Heskey.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »
Seems like somebody has tapped Grant Holt up, do you reckon he'd be a good fit at Sunderland? I know you need a goalscorer. Also, do you reckon you might make a big for Agbonlahor?

Enjoyed the piss-taking out of Manure by the way, well done!

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
I really like Cuellar. His distribution is awful, but he more than makes up for it with his all round defensive ability. I think he's our best defender, but he's spent a lot of time on the bench picking up large wages so I'm not suprised he's on his way. I'm not sure he'd want to link up with O'Neill again, as others have said, he spent three years playing him out of position. He'll probably go back to Spain.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
I thought he was more-or-less nailed on to go to Valencia?

I think Hutton would be the best solution to Sunderland's defensive problems. Yours for £15 million plus McLean, can't say fairer then that.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
Not so sure Carlos would want to play for MON again to be honest. He was misused by him here.

Anyhow, give Ivanhoe my best when he signs on the dotted line...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal