collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: AVFC fans expectations  (Read 14043 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: AVFC fans expectations
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »
Oh,and if you do get beat at least have the good grace too look like it hurts your proffesional pride a bit rather than walk off with yorr arm round the bloke who's just pissed in your face.

Biggest disappointment last season was the number of Villa players on the final whistle wanting to exchange shirts.

Offline Rob92

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »
I think in general top 10 and being in the frame for a Europa League spot is what I expect for the club. In the short term I'll be happy with a solid mid-table finish next season, signs of the club moving forward and for us to be back in the top ten within three seasons.

I don't see why we should be content to sit between 10th and 16th with the likes of Fulham, Norwich and Sunderland, especially when you see where Newcastle and Everton finished this year, with budgets similar (or less than) our own.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
I've never gone for this "we're Aston Villa, we should always be in the top six" bullshit. It smacks of snobbery to me.

Maybe it's down to where Villa were when you started supporting them. In my first season as a regular we finished 18th in Div 2, and in my second season we were relegated to Div 3. Every single decent season since then has been very much hoped for, enjoyed and appreciated... but never expected or even demanded.

I think the most important thing for us next season is playing a brand of football that makes home games something to look forward to again.

Offline mikeb1982

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »
Form is transient....Class is permanent
[/quote]

Agreed.  We are a proud, classy club who have seriously underachieved the last couple of years.  At the same time I think we were punching above our weight when we were hovering in and out of the top four.  Let's get the sustainable foundations done in the next couple of years (not the MON buy at any price approach) and go from there.

This season I want entertainment and a cup run, and to be nowhere near the relegation places

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
Oh,and if you do get beat at least have the good grace too look like it hurts your proffesional pride a bit rather than walk off with yorr arm round the bloke who's just pissed in your face.

Biggest disappointment last season was the number of Villa players on the final whistle wanting to exchange shirts.

And not just the final whistle, that you tube clip before our Man City game at their place was a disgrace. 

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »
So far, expectations seem fine and not high at all so where have the media got this idea from?  Didnt BFR say the same thing about us fans?

The London media have no real interest in Villa, so gauge fan opinion from phone-ins on Talksport and SSN.  As we all know, such media outlets are after a story and overlook any sort of sensible opinion in favour of sensationalism.  A couple of idiot callers soon become the voice of the fans. 

I've always thought this sums up what most of the media thinks of us, media favourites like Spurs, Newcastle considered bigger by everyone apart from people like Merse, Stan Collymore, BFR etc.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
I've never gone for this "we're Aston Villa, we should always be in the top six" bullshit. It smacks of snobbery to me.

Have you taken a look at the All time Premier League placings by chance?

It places us fifth  so by finishing sixth or lower that has to be considered a disappointment or a step backwards.
It's not snobbery it's just about having certain standards and living up to them.

And I go back to the late 50's so I've had my share of disappointments but still keep coming back for more

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
Any Villa manager who fails to get us in the Top 10 has failed in his job.

Other than that a cup every 5 years or so would be nice.

I think until or unless there's proper fair play rules, that's what we should realistically hope for.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »

Have you taken a look at the All time Premier League placings by chance?

It places us fifth  so by finishing sixth or lower that has to be considered a disappointment or a step backwards.

True, but that table doesn't take into account some of the recent developments that have happened at clubs like Man City.  As a matter of interest, how many times have we actually finished above sixth in the Premier League?  1992/93 and 1995/6 are the only seasons that spring to  mind.   

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
I expect Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to be our manager next week.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »
So far, expectations seem fine and not high at all so where have the media got this idea from?  Didnt BFR say the same thing about us fans?

The London media have no real interest in Villa, so gauge fan opinion from phone-ins on Talksport and SSN.  As we all know, such media outlets are after a story and overlook any sort of sensible opinion in favour of sensationalism.  A couple of idiot callers soon become the voice of the fans. 

I've always thought this sums up what most of the media thinks of us, media favourites like Spurs, Newcastle considered bigger by everyone apart from people like Merse, Stan Collymore, BFR etc.

People who are from the Midlands or who have played at Villa will always understand how big the club is.  Most of the media are based in London, so don't have a feel for the club or the area in general.  I lived up in Glasgow for a while and it was only after I had spent some time up there that I got the true sense of how big Rangers and Celtic are (albeit in a poor league).       

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
Every year we don't win a trophy is failure. We've failed a lot over the past century.

Offline oldtimernow

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
The 10 year table shows our position as 8th so by that reckoning we have underperformed / failed to reach our longterm expectations consistently. I therefore refer you to my statement that form is passing but class remains..unless we fail to recognise true class and not the plastic varieties currently available.

Perhaps the last ten years have just reduced the levels of performance we find acceptable, that is our standards have slipped and we are content with it, for fear of appearing snobbish.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
My own expectations have changed from what we do to how we do it.

I do not think we will win the League again in my lifetime, I hope we win the FA Cup as that is the only major honour I have not been part of with the Villa, but I do not expect it.

What I really expect is that Aston Villa is/are a role model of decency and high values on and off the pitch.

Offline oldtimernow

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
My own expectations have changed from what we do to how we do it.

What I really expect is that Aston Villa is/are a role model of decency and high values on and off the pitch.

True Class and expectations to be proud of

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal