collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: AVFC fans expectations  (Read 14034 times)

Offline Rick_avfc

AVFC fans expectations
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
Right, I'm getting quite annoyed with comments made by non villa fans and some media people saying we have high expectations and we need to come down a peg or two but do they know what our expectations really are?

I mean, personally, my expectations for last season were mid table with some decent football, a decent cup run and if we were lucky (very lucky) a trip to wembley.  Is that classed as high expectations?  If not, what do the media think our expectations are?  top 6? top 4? What are the views of the fans on here and what were your expectations at the start of last season?

Going forward and what looks like the possible appointment of OGS, what are everyones expectations for villa next season?  For me, I would be very happy with some decent entertaining football, finishing mid table and a good cup run.  Does anyone think that this is high expectations and that I should lower them or am I being realistic?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: AVFC fans expectations
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »
I'd like to blank out last season.

As for next season, I saw someone say "I just want to enjoy going to watch the Villa again".

That's my immediate concern, any other stuff can wait.

Offline luke25

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »
"I just want to enjoy going to watch the Villa again".
This.

Offline Merv

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
I agree, Rick. I've picked up on this too. My expectations of Villa have always traditionally been top 6-8 in the league, always think this is our true place in the pecking order. Higher is a bonus. Lower than 10-2th is disappointing.

As things stand right now, for next season I'd be hoping for top half, but would accept 10th, 11th, 12th, a more positive approach, signs of progression. Primarily, it would be to enjoy watching the team again, and to not be 90% certain of the result before kick-off.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »
"I just want to enjoy going to watch the Villa again".
This.
And with OGS at the helm I expect us top next 4 season, champions the following and kings of europe the year after.  It's not much to ask.

Offline forzavilla

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
My expectations,play with a bit of pride,guts and determination

I dont mind getting beat by a better team,but at least go down with your boots on

Oh,and if you do get beat at least have the good grace too look like it hurts your proffesional pride a bit rather than walk off with yorr arm round the bloke who's just pissed in your face.

Offline teamvillage

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
In the short term we should be competing with Everton and ahead of Fulham/Stoke/Sunderland.

We should be able to re-establish ourselves there on a self-sufficient footing and then be in a position for the owner to decide whether to financially make the push up to the next level - Chelsea/Spurs/Liverpool.

Offline Rob_AVFC

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
I agree. My expectations for last season, and next, are the same as yours. Journo's seem to think we expect to be in the top six, not all of us expect that.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
So far, expectations seem fine and not high at all so where have the media got this idea from?  Didnt BFR say the same thing about us fans?

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »
Entertainng football and no fear of the opposition which is something we've struggled with for a long time.

Offline Richie

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »
Considering what we've just been through last season, if we finish half way and the footballs more enjoyable to watch, I think most of us would be happy enough with the progress made.

A good Cup run being a bonus. 

Offline hutchavfc

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »
I get the impression that the media thinks we should just roll over and surrender to mediocity and mid table obsecurity.
To think we have high expectations is sacrilage.
'Do the Villa not know they are here just to make the numbers up and roll over when requested by the sky four' is the medias view.
We should have expectations of success, we should expect our team to put up a fight and give teams a run for their money. Next season, again I want the team to show some fight and spirit and give us hope that we may get that result or even cause an upset.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
I'd like to see:

1) A deliberate attempt to play entertaining, attacking football, especially at home.
2) An end to the abject terror of the opposition getting a corner.
3) A "heads-up" mentality in our players - no visible dejection, even if losing.
4) At least 12th place.
5) Any sort of cup run.
6) Signs of progressive, modern tactics becoming integral to our game - like Houllier at least started.

I don't think those expectations are out of the ordinary, in any way!

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »
My expectation is to play attacking exciting football and see what happens from that.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »
Lets move on the shadow over Villa has gone

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal