collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: No more Austerity football – What style of football should we play?  (Read 8732 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
I'd love us to sign a couple of decent full backs,as they're so important nowadays as they see a lot of the ball,and if their good going forward you don't have to play wingers,and get over run in midfield.

We probably have the worse two in the league,and I'm not sure if the younger ones will.cut it.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
I'm all for a more fluid passing game, but WBA had that under a few years ago and were still shit. 

As much as I dislike him, Fergie gets the balance right where his sides can pass most sides off the park, but he will also vary and evolve his tactics.  His early PL sides were very 'defend deep and hit on the break' away from home and when he has a big striker (Hughes and RVN) he's not afraid to hit him early.  Lambert has a bit of that about him, which is one of the reasons his my pick for the job. 

MON's Villa sides were an example where not being able to vary tactics hurts you, but then so is Arsenal under Wenger.

I just don't think there's one right way to play the game.  If we can pass it and keep it well, have pace it the side to break on teams and big striker option in the squad, then I don't think we'll be too far off a winning side.

Offline tomd2103

Of course we would need midfielders who could pick the ball up off the defence and find the likes of Ireland and N'Zogbia in the holes and I don't think we have anyone like that at the moment. 

Makoun.

From what little we saw of him last season, I got the impression that passing was not one of Makoun's strong points.  He seemed likely to follow up a good pass with a pass to noone or straight in to touch.  Still think he needs to be given a chance, but not sure if he will be.   

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Makoun seemed great at short passes, but not medium or long range ones.  As such, he's great with a packed midfield to keep the ball moving, but not so much if you're looking for early balls into the forwards or wingers.

Guess his Villa future depends on how the new manager wishes to play. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal