collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: No more Austerity football – What style of football should we play?  (Read 8734 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Keep it simple, don't go out of our way to destroy McLeish's legacy too soon.

HOOF! THUMP! THWACK! HOOF! BANG! HOOF! THUD! Oh... 0-1, bugger.

Applauds.

Offline oldham_villa

To see pass and move football ala 1992/3 would be a delight. Can it be so difficult to expect movement off the ball these days ?

Nick

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
Crab football would be an improvement on last season.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Just as long has we play attacking football with effort, desire, and passion I don't mind let's just hope we get the right man to bring this to us.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Just as long has we play attacking football with effort, desire, and passion I don't mind let's just hope we get the right man to bring this to us.

Ossie Ardiles?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
In all honesty,Blackpool play some better stuff than anyone and I would love to see Holloway given a decent crack at a bigger club, I think he would treat it as a privilege and do really, really well.

In terms of which is best for us, probably Lambert, but if he said no I would offer it to Holloway.

Offline old man villa fan

A passing game but with work ethic to win the ball back quickly.

Holland were known as the team that gave us total football in the early 70's but they were also one of the first to play the pressing game high up the pitch.  As a club side Kiev were the first to develop the system of pressing and became masters of it.

Even in the days of MON when Barry was at his best, teams still strolled through our midfield because we didn't press the opposition to win the ball back and in fact just dropped back which gave even more space.

Offline joecrow

i just want us to play FOOTBALL

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
MON deployed strong defending with fast counter-attacks using both wings and also a focus on set-pieces. The players and he did not always get it right, but basically it worked a treat for Villa's budgetary level. He lacked a goalscorer like Bent and he was too slow to pep things up in the second half of games with substitutions.

MON lacked more than a goalscorer, he lacked modern football knowledge. Counter attacking football is very limited, especially as we saw under MON at Villa Park. Home games should be where you dominate teams using your more technical skills, a place to grow confidence and help you develop your style of play, not racing down to the corner flag and trying to keep it there with 85 minutes played.

The ball has been our enemy at Villa for far too long. It's about time we started loving it again.

Offline Diablo

In all honesty,Blackpool play some better stuff than anyone and I would love to see Holloway given a decent crack at a bigger club, I think he would treat it as a privilege and do really, really well.

In terms of which is best for us, probably Lambert, but if he said no I would offer it to Holloway.

I would prefer Poyet if Lambert isn't offered the job or available. I was really impressed with Brighton when we played them in the cup. He has achieved wonders with them.

Offline VillaSpen

I would love to see a decent, solid back four including a couple of full-backs that can get up to join in attacks, two of holding midfielders and then Ireland behind Bent with wingers out wide. I think that system would require a few signings, though. N'Zogbia on the right could really work in that formation and I'd not be against bringing someone like Matt Jarvis in. Herd has been great in the deeper midfield spot and with a more experienced head in there with him I would fancy us to improve greatly over this travesty of a season.

Whoever comes in only needs to field a team with a bit of bollocks, though. I'd be delighted with that.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
To return to some of the counter attacking play that we saw under MON would be a great start, especially away against the stronger teams. This means primarily tightening up at the back and then finding players with speed who can make quick and decisive passes. We also need to return to being clinical at set plays - at both ends of the pitch. How many points would we have gained if we had improved on that this season. However, we also need to be able to mix things up when we are at home against the weaker sides. We need more possession and be able to break teams down. This has been a problem for years, which is not a coincidence but due to the fact that this requires some real quality, particularly in the middle of the park.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Lambert plays a different formation every week , adapting his team in relation to the opposition (horses for courses) sometimes passing football, sometimes the long ball game

Rodgers plays Tic Tac football where you deny your opponents possession of the football by retaining possession even if this means going back or sideways

Martinez plays a pass and move system which involves overloading the midfield because you are playing three at the back

Holloway plays counter-attacking football based on everyone's a defender when you haven't got the ball and everyone is an attacker when you have got the ball

All of these types of football interest me, they seem a lot better than Ecks football. Lambert by choice, wouldn't mind Hollaways
I do worry that Brendan Rogers has just kept Roberto Martinez football style at Swansea and whether he could bring it to VP

Offline tomd2103

I would love to see a decent, solid back four including a couple of full-backs that can get up to join in attacks, two of holding midfielders and then Ireland behind Bent with wingers out wide. I think that system would require a few signings, though. N'Zogbia on the right could really work in that formation and I'd not be against bringing someone like Matt Jarvis in. Herd has been great in the deeper midfield spot and with a more experienced head in there with him I would fancy us to improve greatly over this travesty of a season.

Whoever comes in only needs to field a team with a bit of bollocks, though. I'd be delighted with that.

Agree with that Spen.  I would say that Ireland and Bent are probably our best two players at the moment and that formation would bring the best out of them.  If we played 4-3-3 and had two full backs bombing on, the two players either side of Bent could tuck in and find holes inside where they could cause real problems.  Of course we would need midfielders who could pick the ball up off the defence and find the likes of Ireland and N'Zogbia in the holes and I don't think we have anyone like that at the moment. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Of course we would need midfielders who could pick the ball up off the defence and find the likes of Ireland and N'Zogbia in the holes and I don't think we have anyone like that at the moment. 

Makoun.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal