collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do I detect a sly smile in this? - Roberto Martinez  (Read 18847 times)

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: Do I detect a sly smile in this? - Roberto Martinez
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »
Don't get me wrong he's done well to keep a poor team like Wigan in the Premiership & I'd much rather them than the anti football of Bolton Wanderers or Stoke. 
I think there are better candidates out there.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 11:45:11 AM »
I can see why some are non plussed about Martinez given that they always seem to struggle, although he was only 4 points off Lambert at Norwich. 

What impresses me about him is his style of play and some of the scalps they have taken, something we haven't looked like doing lately. Plus he's done it on a small budget.

I think he's Liverpool bound and we'll get Lambert but I'd be happy with either.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
From managing bottom 3 relegation fodder to top 4 & Champions League, do me a favour.
He would be a big improvement on AM.  But would prefer Lambert or Rodgers.

A turd on a stick would be an improvement on AM.
Martinez struggles all season then get a few results at the end. All this, he tries to play the right way rubbish - it's results that count, he's consistantly near the relegation zone. No thanks.

Disagree. Martinez has very limited funds at Wigan but plays the game in the right manner, ie. attacking football. He's one of the brightest young managers in the game. I think he'd do well at Villa Park.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »
I'd be happy enough with martinez. As has been pointed out though he keeps getting plaudits for getting wigan out of the shit but he's been there when they got into the shit in the first place as well. Yes he's on a shoestring but Lambert and Rodgers have both done more with less.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
Martinez would improve us, but not by much.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
Something tells me Roberto's grin had something to do with Kenny's gurn.

Rodgers please Mr Lerner.  It would be nice to see some football after such a long lay off.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
Just heard D Whelan:

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan today told Albion and Villa they are not big enough for Roberto Martinez as the Baggies were linked with a move for the Spaniard.

Reports from the north west this morning claimed Albion had spoken to Whelan about Martinez as they step up their hunt for Roy Hodgson’s successor.

And the highly-rated Latics boss is among the bookmakers’ favourites to succeed Alex McLeish at Villa Park.

But Whelan, who confirmed interest from one un-named club but denied an approach from Villa, does not believe that Martinez would be tempted to the West Midlands.

“I believe we can keep him,” said Whelan.  “He will go eventually to a big, big club but there are much bigger clubs than Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion about. I am resigned to losing him but not just yet.”

Martinez was also linked today with Liverpool as rumours continued over Kenny Dalglish’s Anfield future.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2012/05/16/whelan-delivers-snub-to-baggies/#ixzz1v46vbRkF

On reading this, I get a totally ridiculous reaction to the ramblings of this idiot.  Half of me wants the Villa to recruit RM and shout 'so there!' -  the other half says, leave it, he ain't worth it...

Off to watch Apprentice!
There are other things in life to laugh at.  British wine...now there's a promising beginning.

Offline tepavilla

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »

Rodgers please Mr Lerner.  It would be nice to see some football after such a long lay off.
I'd say we have pretty much zero chance of getting Rodgers. Considering the hype he and his team have generated this year there must be half the Europe after him this summer.

Online KRS

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »
I take back what I said about DW the other day after being almost complimentary to Villa. Heard his comments on Talkshite this morning and said Liverpool would be a big enough club for Martinez but not Villa or Baggies...what a condescending twat he really is!

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
I want a manager who'll slap down any of these jumped up nobodys who think it's ok to have a dig at my club.

Physically and verbally.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:34:15 PM by Alex McLeebsh »

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »
“I believe we can keep him,” said Whelan.  “He will go eventually to a big, big club but there are much bigger clubs than Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion about. I am resigned to losing him but not just yet.”

thanks Dave there maybe bigger clubs than the Villa but there are certainly better managers for us than your Bobby ,

stick to egg chasing you red nosed .......
;)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
There may be bigger clubs than Villa, but not many. Martinez would be making a big step up to join Villa, from Wigan who are essentially pointless.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »
Whelan really is a twunt of the highest order.  One of the most unpleasant people I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
Whelan really is a small time twunt. Stick him in the same file as Holloway.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »
Ha, I hadn't seen Risso's post when I called Whelan a twunt. Great minds.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal