collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lee Hendrie in today's Sunday Mirror  (Read 13960 times)

Offline lovejoy

Re: Lee Hendrie in today's Sunday Mirror
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
To be fair I never saw Hitler order troops to invade Poland but it was reported and I believe it. If seeing something is your criteria for believing it you will have a rather narrow view of the world.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »
But Hitler invading Poland wasn't just reported by 'somebody's mate' five years after they reported Franco had invaded Poland, and ten years after they reported Trotsky had invaded Poland.

Also, as far as I know, the vast majority of 'real' people (people you actually knew), were not saying 'well I saw Hitler in that club on Saturday night and he didn't invade Poland. In fact, he was well-behaved and got the beer in'.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:20:10 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
To be fair I never saw Hitler order troops to invade Poland but it was reported and I believe it. If seeing something is your criteria for believing it you will have a rather narrow view of the world.

I think there's stronger evidence to suggest it happened than the "£50 note" myth.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »
Lee Hendrie has signed for Tamworth.

Had to laugh at that. Will you be able to cheer him on Dave? And the rest of the stalwarts who remember his last visit there!

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »
Will you be able to cheer him on Dave?

Dave can polish Hendrie's Ferrari after the game....

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
I met him once outside the Elbow Room. It was after a game against WBA, he was with GB and was a bit of a bellend to me and my mate. We can all be a twat a times though.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
As has already been shown in the Never Meet Your Hero thread, the ability to kick a football to sufficiently high standard to earn a shed lead of money is no guarantee that said individual won't behave like a knob when interacting with the fans of the club that he plays for. 

Neither should we be surprised if another individual with the ability to kick a football to sufficiently high standard to earn a shed lead of money is able to exchange a few pleasantries with the fans.

I don't know which category Hendrie fitted in to, but as with all Villa players, I'm only really bothered about what they do on the pitch.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »
As has already been shown in the Never Meet Your Hero thread, the ability to kick a football to sufficiently high standard to earn a shed lead of money is no guarantee that said individual won't behave like a knob when interacting with the fans of the club that he plays for. 

Neither should we be surprised if another individual with the ability to kick a football to sufficiently high standard to earn a shed lead of money is able to exchange a few pleasantries with the fans.

I don't know which category Hendrie fitted in to, but as with all Villa players, I'm only really bothered about what they do on the pitch.

I heard an interview with Andy Murray on R5 today. He said that tennis players do about 80 press conferences a year, and it's almost inevitable that at some stage you'll say the wrong thing, or it will be misinterpreted [I'm paraphrasing what he said]. Impressions are subject to the environment/context in which they're experienced. I suspect in some cases people meeting footballers in night clubs might just be recalling events with the benefit of beer goggles and to suit their own self-promotion raconteur reputation. Equally, I'm sure some footballers are right knobs.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »

Had to laugh at that. Will you be able to cheer him on Dave? And the rest of the stalwarts who remember his last visit there!

It's not funny.
I suppose I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as long as he proves he's still good enough to play at this level (doubtful, he struggled at Daventry and Kiddy, although Redditch fans seemed happy enough with him).
 We are having the same debates on the Tamworth forum as we have on here when a player splits opinion, there are the usual "If he's wearing the shirt you have to support him" posts, and the follow on "Fuck him after what he did before" posts.

Offline kingus

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »
Bugger - I wanted him to carry on at Redditch United.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:01 PM »
It was Lenin whon ordered the attack on Poland in 1921, partyly as retaliation for Poland's attacks on the Soviet Union previously.

Trotsky however, was a general of one of the Red Army units in Poland.

But what's that got to do with L'il Lee?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
Dave, you'll have to read lovejoy's post re: story of Lee lighting cigars with £50 notes being as believable as the fact that Hitler invaded Poland, because both incidents were 'reported'.

The difference being, for me, that one of the incidents was reported mainly by jealous pricks with a grudge.

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
Lizz: I can vouch for the West Indian Sunday dinners at the Twin Towers (and the excellent septagenarian DJ). Take Mr Lizz late in the afternoon when the dominoes is in full swing.

GB and Lil Lee used to go in the Welcome, it was Lee's mate's dad's pub (I think) and they used to show Villa away games in there via dodgy satellite.

Ladywood and Newtown are my favourite parts of Brum, salt of the earth Brummies, inner-city Chelmsley.

Ah, Newtown. Where I grew up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal