collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:24 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 10:51:16 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:36:44 PM]

NSWE Investment by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 10:36:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 10:33:16 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Director Of Football  (Read 11294 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Director Of Football
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
Sorry, I think that's nonsense. Comolli is a very credible character in the game whereas McLeish is utterly incompetent.
I agree almost word for word with Ozzjim.

Not sure about that - I thought Comolli was fingered as the main reason 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' paid ludicrous fees for the likes of Henderson, Downing and Carroll.  Could be wrong though. 

If he negotiated the fees paid then he needs his head looking at. But I'm not sure about how involved Comolli was at Liverpool, the methods in recruitment at Liverpool seem to be completely different to his previous record; previously he'd signed players from all over Europe, yet suddenly when working with KKKenny, Comolli limits his horizons to over expensive English players that play a winger/big man up front style of football. It says more about old Ku Klux than Comolli IMO.

We can only wait and see.

I agree.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »
So, could somebody explain how this would work in our situation?

Would this mean keeping McLeish? Or would we appoint someone such as Kevin MacDonald as 'head coach' with Comolli as Director of Football?

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
I think there is some merit in trying out the DoF approach, and Commoli does have an impressive record. I'd even go as far as to say that although those signings at Liverpool haven't worked out yet, they may well prove to be very useful (although clearly they significantly overpaid for them) - Carroll is a very good striker, Henderson isn't as bad as some make out, and Downing is a decent winger (as well as a treacherous oik).

Commoli as DoF, with MacDonald as Head Coach, with Cowans supporting? Risky, but much better than keeping McLeish.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
I would presume you would hire Comolli (or somebody like that) who sets up an infrastructure at the club including scouting, development, partnerships, contacts and so on and recruits a manager (head coach) to compliment that.

There is no scenario where McLeish should be kept.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »

Would this mean keeping McLeish? Or would we appoint someone such as Kevin MacDonald as 'head coach' with Comolli as Director of Football?

No. We get Comolli in as DoF, then, as has already been suggested on another thread, Hulk Hogan in as manager. Even if I believe the Ultimate Warrior would provide the younger members of the squad the intensity needed to hack it in the Prem, you just cannot knock Hogan's record.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »

No. We get Comolli in as DoF, then, as has already been suggested on another thread, Hulk Hogan in as manager. Even if I believe the Ultimate Warrior would provide the younger members of the squad the intensity needed to hack it in the Prem, you just cannot knock Hogan's record.

Ooh yeah! We're gonna get into Europe, Brotha'!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »
I can hear all the Villamaniacs singing "I am a real Astonian" as he makes his way to the dugout.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
Forget the manager, I just hope the Iron Sheik comes in as our middle-eastern oil tycoon billionaire.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
Jimmy 'Mouth from the South' Hart can be the fans liaison on the message boards. It'd be great.

Online nigel

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »
We missed a great chance by not appointing Houlier as DoF (unless he was offered and didn't want it)
He has a great wealth of knowledge with in the game. We could have then appointed a young up and coming manager or promoted Kevin Mac.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
We missed a great chance by not appointing Houlier as DoF (unless he was offered and didn't want it)
He has a great wealth of knowledge with in the game. We could have then appointed a young up and coming manager or promoted Kevin Mac.

A wealth of knowledge that led to him signing Diouf, Pongolle and Cheyrou.  No ta.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
Full list of GH transfers when he was at racist FC

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/houllier.asp 

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
Sorry, I think that's nonsense. Comolli is a very credible character in the game whereas McLeish is utterly incompetent.
I agree almost word for word with Ozzjim.

I appreciate what you guys are saying but I'm struggling to think of a situation where Comolli has come out of any job in English football smelling of roses. 

I think he talks a very good game but I see very little evidence that he actually does a decent job (hence my McLeish comparison).  What is undeniable is that he has just lost his job after overseeing some significant Scouse transfer dealings - one assumes he is paying the price for Liverpool's botched transfer policy,though maybe he was let go simply because he failed to build a decent working relationship with Dalglish.  Either way he has a track record of leaving his posts under a cloud.  He strikes me as damaged goods, a guy whose stock is falling.

To be honest, I'd be happier if we looked elsewhere for a DoF as opposed to being the latest club to fall for his charm. The bottom line -as with McLeish- is that he doesn't really get results despite his protestations to the contrary.  I am more than happy to be proven wrong on this and would love to see any tangible evidence of anything positive that he has brought to any football club.  (I know he claims he was behind some astute signings for Arsenal back in the day but Wenger's version of events is significantly different.) 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:35:47 PM by Billy Walker »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
Full list of GH transfers when he was at racist FC

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/houllier.asp 

Backs up what I say.  Decent signings like Hamann and Henchoz came from other Premier League sides, so weren't discovered by Houllier.  Most of his foreign signings were absolute shite.  £24m for Diouf and Cisse?  Good lord.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »
comolli is a total chancer. wenger's description of him is the most accurate I reckon.

If we wanted a director of football/technical director then someone like nicky hammond was done well at reading working with a board that hadnt a clue about football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal