collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 10:49:11 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by AV84
[Today at 10:36:29 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Ads
[Today at 09:59:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Privately, do you hope we don't win tomorrow?  (Read 16781 times)

Offline peatonrick

Re: Privately, do you hope we don't win tomorrow?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
no never!
being a supporter is about supporting them through the rough times and the most important part of that is encouraging them to win whatyever the odds that are stacked against them (including the manager!)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »
The decision has already been made to whit "stay up and we will give you a bit more money and a bit more time, go down and Corsica is lovely this time of year".   Why do you think he punched the air at the final whistle of the Spuds game?   He knows more than we do.

But he doesn't know anything.  Nobody's even been answering his e-mails, and he has been left to face the press even more isolated than usual.  The reason he's been making statements that are detached from reality is because he knows he's gone himself.  He knows it, we know it, and the season ticket sales Villa will get if he stays certainly show it.  Last year the board moved swiftly to confirm Houllier would not be kept on.  They will be equally swift this year.

As for these fictional instructions that staying up would be enough, they are exactly that - fictional.  Faulkner was talking about qualifying for Europe at the end of last year, and even Mcleish was aiming for higher than 9th place at the start of the season.  His reign as Villa manager has failed on all fronts.

Offline nigel

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »
Personally, I hope we give Norwich an absolute stuffing tomorrow.

I don't think it'd make any difference - the damage has already been done and I thoroughly believe the board have already made a final decision on what's happening this summer.
Exactly.

If he's going then a win tomorrow won't change that. If he's staying, then a defeat won't change that.

So we might as well try and end the season on a high.
Agree.
I can't believe I'm reading that people actually want us to lose.  :'(

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
Why do you think he punched the air at the final whistle of the Spuds game?   He knows more than we do.

Professional pride that we hadn't been relegated?

I can't say I want us to lose, but there's nothing on the game so I won't be gutted if we do, barring us getting stuffed.

I think he'll go and one win won't change that.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow and obviously hope as always for a Villa win.

McLeish will be judged not on one game but the season as a whole. He's a dead man walking as there's no way Randy will or can allow to see the revenue dramatically reduce next season. For that reason and the fact it's much more difficult to find a decent manager midseason, tomorrow will be his last game as Villa manager.

I hope the Villa fans there tomorrow do what they've done so well throughout the season and get behind the team. A Villa win will be even more enjoyable at least for a couple of days as the weak kneed shit themselves that McCleish will be asked to stay on.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
I guess I am in the weak kneed camp then Villadelphia. As I am absolutely papping my pants that he will stay.

I really hope you don't come to rue making that comment.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »
The decision has already been made to whit "stay up and we will give you a bit more money and a bit more time, go down and Corsica is lovely this time of year".   Why do you think he punched the air at the final whistle of the Spuds game?   He knows more than we do.

But he doesn't know anything.  Nobody's even been answering his e-mails, and he has been left to face the press even more isolated than usual.  The reason he's been making statements that are detached from reality is because he knows he's gone himself.  He knows it, we know it, and the season ticket sales Villa will get if he stays certainly show it.  Last year the board moved swiftly to confirm Houllier would not be kept on.  They will be equally swift this year.

As for these fictional instructions that staying up would be enough, they are exactly that - fictional.  Faulkner was talking about qualifying for Europe at the end of last year, and even Mcleish was aiming for higher than 9th place at the start of the season.  His reign as Villa manager has failed on all fronts.

I hope you're right pal, but I think the reason they moved so quickly last season was because if they didn't, Houllier would be splashing some serious cash, and if they'd have had to refuse him it the game was up.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
Personally, I hope we give Norwich an absolute stuffing tomorrow.

I don't think it'd make any difference - the damage has already been done and I thoroughly believe the board have already made a final decision on what's happening this summer.
Exactly.

If he's going then a win tomorrow won't change that. If he's staying, then a defeat won't change that.

So we might as well try and end the season on a high.

This.  Let's have something out of this season.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »
No.  I hope we win, as I do every game.  Even in a game like this that doesn't matter at all, it still has the potential to make or ruin my day.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
The sad thing I really couldn't care less about tomorrow. 30 years of going down the Villa and this season has tested the patience more than any other. I hope something re-invigorates the club over the summer, because I doubt I'm the only fan who thinks like this. 

Offline philthebar

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
Just to highlight what a bad season we have had under this inept manager, part of me thought about wanting both Bolton and QPR to win, with us losing. 

But I can't do it, always a win.

UTV

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
I don't eat eggs eastie.   They have been up chickens arseholes.  The decision has already been made to whit "stay up and we will give you a bit more money and a bit more time, go down and Corsica is lovely this time of year".   Why do you think he punched the air at the final whistle of the Spuds game?   He knows more than we do.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm inclined to think you may be right Brian. I'll happily eat humble pie btw should Brian proved to be wrong.

I want a win tomorrow.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
I don't want us to lose, I want us to win. I can see, though, that its a bit more complex than 'OMG I could never ever want us to lose'.

If the choice were lose tomorrow - in a meaningless fixture - and that got rid of the manager, or win brilliantly and him stay, in those circumstances I would rather lose and get shot of him.

That's a hypothetical situation, and not likely to be the situation for us, but what I mean is, I can see a situation where I'd rather lose, certainly.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
If a win meant retaining McLeish and a loss meant getting rid of the clueless numpty then I'd have to agree with you.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
I don't eat eggs eastie.   They have been up chickens arseholes.  The decision has already been made to whit "stay up and we will give you a bit more money and a bit more time, go down and Corsica is lovely this time of year".   Why do you think he punched the air at the final whistle of the Spuds game?   He knows more than we do.

he is going 100%,
 if you really think he will be here at the start of next season, you have read the whole situation wrong

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal