collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland 'I will be better next season.'  (Read 13653 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Re: Ireland 'I will be better next season.'
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »
Good to see Ireland is doing well, but he will blossom more next season as we will have a new manager and more attacking players and new blood. Maybe a former Man City manager will help. (NOT SVEN)

Mancini?  ;)

Peter Reid?

Joe Mercer?

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 08:45:25 AM »
This story puts me in mind of Frank Spencer's mantra: 'every day in every way, I'm getting better and better'.

That and 'OOOooh Betty, the cat's done a shit in my hat'.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »
Good to see Ireland is doing well, but he will blossom more next season as we will have a new manager and more attacking players and new blood. Maybe a former Man City manager will help. (NOT SVEN)

Mancini?  ;)

Peter Reid?

Joe Mercer?

"Hold hands and turn down the lights, the boss wants a word"

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
I wouldn't build a team around him - I think his character is unreliable - but I agree that he has been screwed this season around over different demands from the manager.
I think that he should be integral to the side's revival next season under a new manager; he's certainly good enough if the head is tuned in.

And - yes - I read this article as an attack on McLeish.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:37:24 PM by EffDee »

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
I've always rated Ireland, questioned his attitude on a number of ocassions, but never his ability.However what a damning statistic that is. Our player of the season, an attacking midfielder has contributed 0NE GOAL and a whopping THREE assists. Amazing.

Could be worse.  Did I not read Downing got his first assist of the season vs Chelsea on Tuesday evening?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »
I like Ireland I think next season he will be a lot better under a new manager who play's to his strengths.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
I've always rated Ireland, questioned his attitude on a number of ocassions, but never his ability.However what a damning statistic that is. Our player of the season, an attacking midfielder has contributed 0NE GOAL and a whopping THREE assists. Amazing.

Could be worse.  Did I not read Downing got his first assist of the season vs Chelsea on Tuesday evening?

He wasn't their player of the season though.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
I wouldn't build a team around him - I think his character is unreliable - but I agree that he has been screwed this season around over different demands from the manager.
He agree thhat he should be integral to the side's revival next season under a new manager.

And - yes - I read this article as an attack on McLeish.

I would tend to agree with that.  He only seems able to play a couple of games before he is injured and is on the sidelines.  As talented as he is, I don't think you can build a team around a player who can only manage less than 20 games a season.

Offline moetvillain

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
I think Ireland has improved massively...from last season.  Its all relative though, i dont think he is anything like as good as he played on his pomp at City, so would expect at least for him to be better than this season.  Still to be convinced about him, he has a brilliant knack of passing to someone under pressure or overhitting passes.  I read earlier that this wasnt his fault, it was the players around him....? Nah, its his fault.

Offline AlwaysAVFC

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 12:03:59 PM »

To be fair that does mean he directly contributed to over 10% of our goals this season

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 12:07:20 PM »

To be fair that does mean he directly contributed to over 10% of our goals this season

haha. A good point, well made

Offline pestria

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
It's fair comment when he says he's been shunted round position wise.

Plus he has the handicap of playing for a Manager who loathes players who have creativity.
He needs to improve, but there's definitely a genuinely great player in there somewhere.

If I were manager, I'd build the team around him next season.

He's hiding his greatness fairly well at the moment.

No pace, no instinct for goals.  1 goal and 3 assists FFS.

I wouldn't build a schoolyard kick about around him.

You obviously never saw him playing for Man City a few years ago.  He was their player of the year in the season Robinho joined them (the season the money started coming in).  I saw most of their home games that season (through work) and he was absolutely brilliant.  Scored a fair few goals, made loads and worked his arse off.  He was far and away the standout player in every game I saw.  The guy's got everything.  Unfortunately, possibly because he crept up through the ranks, I don't think he had the wow factor the new owners were looking for, and since they had squillions to spend on marquee signings he was seen as dispensable and sidelined.  His attitude problems may be something to do with him feeling hard done by, and I think maybe he was. 

Why are people still knocking him?  When I've seen him this season he's been the only player we've got who seems to want the ball, who seems comfortable when he's got it, and who seems to know what he wants to do with it.  Most of the others have seemed terrified to get the thing.  His passes don't always hit the mark, but at least he has the confidence and the vision to attempt them.  I'm really glad he got player of the year; he has proven ability and could be a star for us.  We must keep him, and we must build the team around him.   

You're absolutely right - I didn't see him play for Man. City. 

I have seen him play for Aston Villa though and I'm yet to see any of the qualities you mention.  He may have been one of the better players of a very bad lot, but he's supposed to be Villa's Gerard or Lampard, yet he scored a solitary goal and the only assist I can remember was converted by curling shot from outside the box.

By all means keep him but there's too much for him to prove before building a team around him.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
According to the media watch section on Prvda he's had talks with NY Red Bulls.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »
According to the media watch section on Prvda he's had talks with NY Red Bulls.

I think that old news

Offline rutski

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
at the villa legends night on monday, des bremner, colin gibson, sid cowans and andy blair all laughed at ireland getting a player of the year award!
i am with the doubters, all he is to me is an enigma who has talent but has no loyalty for anyone except himself and he believes we are below him. needs to do alot more in my opinion to be the type of payer to build a team around!
he wasnt my player of the year anyway!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal