collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:06:25 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland 'I will be better next season.'  (Read 13654 times)

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
Re: Ireland 'I will be better next season.'
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
its not just ireland, its all of them. The other post about the espn article just bangs this right on the head. Not only Ireland but the younger stars need to improve next term and I think only a better manager will do this....

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
Good to see Ireland is doing well, but he will blossom more next season as we will have a new manager and more attacking players and new blood. Maybe a former Man City manager will help. (NOT SVEN)

Offline pestria

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »
It's fair comment when he says he's been shunted round position wise.

Plus he has the handicap of playing for a Manager who loathes players who have creativity.
He needs to improve, but there's definitely a genuinely great player in there somewhere.

If I were manager, I'd build the team around him next season.

He's hiding his greatness fairly well at the moment.

No pace, no instinct for goals.  1 goal and 3 assists FFS.

I wouldn't build a schoolyard kick about around him.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »
Our most talented player by a mile. But I have two key reservations:
- his best position is as the most attacking in a 3 man midfield, but he doesn't seem to score or assist too much. So that means you need the front 3 to score a lot (and they certainly weren't this season)
- he would be so much better with class players around him. his best abilities are his one touch passing and appreciation of the game. But it's painful to watch other players fail to read him. Bannan and CNZ are the only regular players who look on his wavelength (when CNZ is actually awake)

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM »

Plus he has the handicap of playing for a Manager who loathes players who have creativity.
He needs to improve, but there's definitely a genuinely great player in there somewhere.

No pace? He doesn't need it. Superb vision, passing and his work rate post christmas has been superb. It will be interesting to see what sort of relationship he and Bent can strike up with him in the hole.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »
I think Ireland behind Bent in a team that really plays through midfield, could be excellent. But in a more direct style it just won't work at all.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »
I'd love to see a manager give our team some confidence and get them believing again and I would like to see Ireland get a chance to shine in this team. He's a cracking player, if only we can get the best out of him more consistently.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
Problem is with Ireland his football brain is about two levels above anyone else in our team. You see him looking for players to make the runs for him to play his passes but we don't have players in our team that can read him. If you put Ireland in the Man Utd team he would be awesome as he is playing with better players who make the runs and have the movement to suit his game

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »
Problem is with Ireland his football brain is about two levels above anyone else in our team. You see him looking for players to make the runs for him to play his passes but we don't have players in our team that can read him. If you put Ireland in the Man Utd team he would be awesome as he is playing with better players who make the runs and have the movement to suit his game

I agree! I really rate him, but it occurred to me sometime in Autumn that his passes only ever just seem to make it. They seem to arrive in slow motion and I think it's because he assumes that the player he's passing to is much less static than he is! I certainly hope he stays around and is able to be part of a Villa team which lets him use his obvious skill.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »

You obviously never saw him playing for Man City a few years ago.  He was their player of the year in the season Robinho joined them (the season the money started coming in).  I saw most of their home games that season (through work) and he was absolutely brilliant.  Scored a fair few goals, made loads and worked his arse off.  He was far and away the standout player in every game I saw.  The guy's got everything.  Unfortunately, possibly because he crept up through the ranks, I don't think he had the wow factor the new owners were looking for, and since they had squillions to spend on marquee signings he was seen as dispensable and sidelined.  His attitude problems may be something to do with him feeling hard done by, and I think maybe he was. 

Why are people still knocking him?  When I've seen him this season he's been the only player we've got who seems to want the ball, who seems comfortable when he's got it, and who seems to know what he wants to do with it.  Most of the others have seemed terrified to get the thing.  His passes don't always hit the mark, but at least he has the confidence and the vision to attempt them.  I'm really glad he got player of the year; he has proven ability and could be a star for us.  We must keep him, and we must build the team around him.   

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 01:26:38 AM »
Since Christmas his work rate has been superb, he uses the ball well, and looks a class apart to most of our team. The shame is that he and Bent never really played in the right formation to allow Ireland to bring out the best of Bent.

I think when he first came his head was all over the shop and he was not putting the effort in that he is now and it frustrated Houllier, but this season he has been excellent, summed up by his 60 yard track back to win a sliding tackle just before half time against Spurs.

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 02:21:21 AM »
So he strings a few passes together, no need to build a team around him. Needs to pay us back on the pitch for his wages and transfer fee. Still believe if he had one good season with us he will be gone, he does not exude any loyalty or integrity for me. Funny how he now loves Manure now scholes has or is retiring, find him all a bit false.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 05:29:26 AM »
He's a loon, from Cork and he's let Ireland (the country) down but I find him hard to dislike unlike that faux "ultimate professional" Keano. Let's hope he shines next season in a Villa shirt under Lambert.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »
Good to see Ireland is doing well, but he will blossom more next season as we will have a new manager and more attacking players and new blood. Maybe a former Man City manager will help. (NOT SVEN)

Mancini?  ;)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »

Mancini?  ;)

Peter Reid?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal