collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish on 'Delphy'  (Read 11534 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: McLeish on 'Delphy'
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »

I think ‘Delphy’ is a player who would benefit from a change of scenery.

He started this season ok but then went right of the boil before getting more injuries and  I just don’t think its going to happen for him at the villa.

I think most players would go off the boil having to play in an unfamiliar position. Delph never was or will be a defensive midfielder. Add to that Stan suddenly deciding it was he that was the box to box player and it's understandable why Delph's performances were not up to standard, not to mention the impact it had on our defence.

I see what your saying but for me he has not shown enough since we signed him.

We've also got better youngsters coming through the system.

Delph is younger than both Chris Herd and Ciaran Clark and less than a month older than Barry Bannan. Whilst I think Gardner has brilliant potential I won't put Delph on the scrap heap just yet. Let's see what he can do injury free and with a decent manager for once.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »

Delph is younger than both Chris Herd and Ciaran Clark and less than a month older than Barry Bannan. Whilst I think Gardner has brilliant potential I won't put Delph on the scrap heap just yet. Let's see what he can do injury free and with a decent manager for once.

That just underlines the stupidity of spending £8m on a youth player with no top flight experience. 

Offline villanic

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »

I think ‘Delphy’ is a player who would benefit from a change of scenery.

He started this season ok but then went right of the boil before getting more injuries and  I just don’t think its going to happen for him at the villa.

I think most players would go off the boil having to play in an unfamiliar position. Delph never was or will be a defensive midfielder. Add to that Stan suddenly deciding it was he that was the box to box player and it's understandable why Delph's performances were not up to standard, not to mention the impact it had on our defence.

I see what your saying but for me he has not shown enough since we signed him.

We've also got better youngsters coming through the system.

To be fair I didn't realize he was younger than Herd. As for playing for a decent manager, Well he will definitely have to move on for that. :D

I would like to see an injury free Delph to see what he has got but for me Herd and Gardner are both better.

Offline jibba81

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »
Julie?

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
Despite misgivings (and like Makoun) we have to persevere with him in this age of austerity.
He cost a bloody fortune really and we're unlikely to recoup much by getting rid of him.

Could say that about most of our squad apart from the "youngsters"

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »
I think he needs to be given a shot in his best position before we make a judgement. He's been picked in the Herd role but I think he needs to be played alongside Herd before we can see the best of him.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
To skinny for his own good, and mis-times his tackles something awful. Trouble is, financially we`re not in any position right now to discard high investment players like Delph.

Offline russon

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
I would be quite happy to sell 'Delphy' at a decent price to McLeish later in the summer.
That'd make a healthy Delphy wealthy  :D

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
I don't think he's as good as Gardenery or Herdy personally.
I agree.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
I think he needs to be given a shot in his best position before we make a judgement. He's been picked in the Herd role but I think he needs to be played alongside Herd before we can see the best of him.

Agree with that, John. His best displays were half a season for Leeds playing in the middle in a box to box role. They then played him out wide and he was generally crap. He's a player that needs to be involved, linking play and where there's an opportunity to shoot.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
I don't think he's as good as Gardenery or Herdy personally.

At the moment he is ahead of Gardner for me, but both look like they have the talent to progress.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
Aston Villa were/are probably the last club which needs to spend millions on a youth player with potential.
We have had a production line of youth players for years. Not many world beaters of late but plenty better than anything Delph has done. Another example of MON wasting our money.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »

That just underlines the stupidity of spending £8m on a youth player with no top flight experience. 

Nothing wrong with taking a gamble like that occasionally. Man U paid 12m for Ronaldo and a similar amount for Nani before they'd done anything, and from a foreign country to boot.

Delph was really disappointing during his run in the side at the start of the season but I'd like to see him given another chance. He needs to be brought into the team and allowed to do what he does best. You could see his confidence get lower and lower this year. Personally I think he's got the ability to be a success. Whether he'll actually do so or not will depend a lot on our manager and Delph's body holding up.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »

Nothing wrong with taking a gamble like that occasionally. Man U paid 12m for Ronaldo and a similar amount for Nani before they'd done anything, and from a foreign country to boot.

That would be Portugal. Nani had broke into the full Portugese side the year before signing for Man U, and Ronaldho made his full debut around the time he signed. I think Delph had a couple of run outs in our U-21s to go with his few dozen appearances in the 3rd tier of our league. 

Offline django

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 08:16:08 PM »
I see our on pitch creativity is matched by our nick naming. genius.

My advice to delphy would be to cut out the bit of his game where he recklessly kicks people and comes off worse.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal