collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish on 'Delphy'  (Read 11570 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
McLeish on 'Delphy'
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
birminghammail.net

FABIAN Delph has been advised to modify his game to kickstart his Aston Villa career after setbacks in training prevented him from playing a part in the survival run-in.

Delph was hoping to be involved in the final fixtures of the campaign after making an earlier-than-expected recovery from the ankle surgery he underwent in February.

But the 22-year-old midfielder will be held back until he is completely fit next season after continuing to feel soreness with the joint on the training pitches.

Delph started the season as a first-team regular at Villa but has not played for them since December and got injured on loan at former club Leeds three months ago.

“When I saw Delphy get back in training with the group a few weeks ago, he was as sharp and as powerful as I’ve seen him,” said McLeish.

“He’s fought back well. He’s a determined boy. He’s been through some bad injuries and he’s really worked hard to get himself to this level.

“We do need to try to be careful with him but you try to get the evidence from the training. I know that it’s not a real marker in terms of the real thing but he has trained well, even in practice matches.

“He was close to making the bench and we considered whether he could he be a starter.

“But, again, it’s these wee niggles. One day he’s fine and the next day he’ll train and feel it pounding again, so it’s a wee bit of maintenance in the summer.

“I don’t envisage he’ll be involved until next season now.”

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: McLeish on 'Delphy'
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »
I don't think he's as good as Gardenery or Herdy personally.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
I'm sure there is a joke about Delphy and the notorious Adelphi in Liverpool. Buggered if I can be bothered to think of it though.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
Oracle at Delphy?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
I would be quite happy to sell 'Delphy' at a decent price to McLeish later in the summer.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »
I would be quite happy to sell 'Delphy' at a decent price to McLeish later in the summer.

Maybe we could give him Delphy as payment-in-kind compensation when we sack him?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »

Maybe we could give him Delphy as payment-in-kind compensation when we sack him?

A bit bloody generous, that. Now if you'd said Alan Hutton..

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »

A bit bloody generous, that. Now if you'd said Alan Hutton..

Now now, there's no need to be quite that nasty.

Offline villanic

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »

I think ‘Delphy’ is a player who would benefit from a change of scenery.

He started this season ok but then went right of the boil before getting more injuries and  I just don’t think its going to happen for him at the villa.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »
Be glad to see the back of Heskeyy the big useless donkeyy.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »
It will be interesting to see if he makes the squad for tomorrow's Reserves Final in Manchester. We need to win that.  Judging by the manager's comments, it may be deemed too risky for Delph.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
He's not as shitty shotty as Huttony, but still not goody enough for the Premiershipy.

Terrible mis-timer of tackles and a walking yellow/red card magnet.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »

He started this season ok but then went right of the boil before getting more injuries and  I just don’t think its going to happen for him at the villa.

I think most players would go off the boil having to play in an unfamiliar position. Delph never was or will be a defensive midfielder. Add to that Stan suddenly deciding it was he that was the box to box player and it's understandable why Delph's performances were not up to standard, not to mention the impact it had on our defence.

Offline villanic

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »

I think most players would go off the boil having to play in an unfamiliar position. Delph never was or will be a defensive midfielder. Add to that Stan suddenly deciding it was he that was the box to box player and it's understandable why Delph's performances were not up to standard, not to mention the impact it had on our defence.

I see what your saying but for me he has not shown enough since we signed him.

We've also got better youngsters coming through the system.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
Despite misgivings (and like Makoun) we have to persevere with him in this age of austerity.
He cost a bloody fortune really and we're unlikely to recoup much by getting rid of him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal