collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst Season ever?  (Read 17969 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Worst Season ever?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2012, 04:28:37 AM »
I've been going since 90 and for me is the worst, norwich at home chelsea away only 2 games that stand out, I've seen games we haven't had a shot I've seen little fight, no goals from corners, I can only think of 2 pens, I've walked out twice and I've never done that.

I've found watching us like pulling teeth, I bet neutrals are praying for us to go next year

Worst season ever!

Offline Trinitymiddle

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »
Sums up our season that Alan Hutton is out for 8 weeks... a week before the end of the season!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »
I've seen us relegated three times, so were those seasons worse ?

1966/67 - My first season so boredom levels were zero as I falling in love with the Villa. Plus my Dad paid.
1969/70 - Totally unexpected but we still knew the club had been turned round and would rise again. Plus my Dad paid.
1986/87 - Totally expected but football everywhere was shit at that time so you just accepted it. I paid but it wasn't a lot.

Now I read this has been a great season for football, I've been bored shitless and of course I've paid - A lot !

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
Sums up our season that Alan Hutton is out for 8 weeks... a week before the end of the season!

Exactly what I thought when I heard the news, why oh why could that not have happend at least eight weeks earlier!!!!

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »

Exactly what I thought when I heard the news, why oh why could that not have happend at least eight weeks earlier!!!!
What is even more worrying is just imagine how shit Hutton will be after a lazy 8 week long summer. I reckon he will come back fatter than Dunne and shitter than ever.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2012, 08:40:28 AM »
I didnt want him injured I wanted him sold. Ah well.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »
I remember moving down here in 83' at 8 years old. All my new found friends in Devon either supported Utd or Liverpool. They all thought I was from some foreign place and supported a rubbish football team.
I loved the Villa, had the kits, posters, calendars, my uncles whole back collection of programmes, would buy Shoot magazine in the hope there would be a feature on us. My dad would take to me to Villa when he could and I would be  Evans, Birchy or Walters on the school playground. When we finally dropped after a massive decline in those early years living in Devon it was absolutely gutting, I was devastated.

The thing was back then I didn't really watch football like I do now. For a start I really only got to see the results on the TV on Saturday evening. My Grandad would send me up the Pink and I would read it on Tuesday.

Back then it was gutting as a kid but this year it has just been so bad since January it feels like we are digging ourselves further and further into a big whole and it feels like we don't want to come out of it. I missed the first part of the season while I traveled Europe, but since I have been back it has certainly been horrible.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
 I only vaguely remember the 87 season, so yes, I'd say when all things are taken into consideration this is probably the least enjoyable season I can remember.

The football is just as shite as anything O'Leary served up in his final year and when you take into account what befell Stan Petrov, it's been a shocking, depressing, hopeless season.

Thank fuck it ends tomorrow.

Offline NorthYvillan

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
Dull and uninspiring granted, but worst season ever? Nope, not even close to the misery of relegation under Billy McNeill

I'll second that - it was utterly dreadful

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
Been going down since 1961 and no its not the worst (certainly not for my generation).

What makes it seem so bad is the lowering of expectations - when Lerner arrived we were all on a high and promised much. Two trips to Wembley and top 6 finishes raised our expectations and our profile.

Now we are back to being also rans and pitied by fans of clubs, who, not so long ago, we were looking to leapfrog.

Lerner needs to get his next big decision right otherwise we we are in danger of being the next Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday - not a thought I wish to consider.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »
It's always a toss up for me between 85/86 and 86/87 as to which season I hate the most. In many ways even though we somehow stayed up thanks to a late season rally, more often than not I feel 85/86 edges it.
I'm sure we hardly won a game from the beginning of Oct to end of March. Awful crowds, losing to fucking Oxford in the LC semi's in front of barely 20,000 and i'm sure our highest crowd that season was only about 25K for the visit of the Blues, and they battered us 0-3.
I'm with you there PWS. They were my early senior school years and it was awful putting up with those glory hunter fans and then the Blues when they beat us in their cup final at Villa Park 3-0. It was a slow death from 1985 onwards.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
This has been an extremely disappointing season but far from being the worst. In relatively recent memory the seasons 85/86 (when we were truly awful but managed to avoid relegation) and 86/87 9 (when we were literally the worst team in the division by far) were far more depressing, the disappointment enhanced by the fact that only a few years previously we were winning the European Cup and Super Cup. Just imagine that for a fall from grace!

Before that, the famous Aston Villa were a depressing shadow of a formerly great club in 1967, relegated from the top division with a very poor side and a Board who had seriously lost the plot. It even had to get worse before it got better, with the unthinkable relegation to the third division.

I can't remember anything positive to say about any of those seasons. Our current side does at least contain a top class goalkeeper, a top class finisher and some youthful promise peppered around the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal