collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Makoun. Next season.  (Read 23866 times)

Offline mikeb1982

Re: Makoun. Next season.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »
I'd like to see him given more time, him, Ireland and Herd could work well. Assuming we pass through our midfield next season instead of bypassing it

Offline Summers

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Cracking player. Travesty we sent him on loan and brought in Jenas.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
Makoun never adjusted to the pace of the league, but the debate is, how many players have looked the business after that many games in this league, particularly after coming from France.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
I'd forgotten about Jenas.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
Better than that American. Sorry, can't remember his name.

Michael Bradley who has been outstanding in Serie A this season...........

In fairness to Bradley, he played about 110 minutes total for us, most of which was at City in the cup debacle where pretty much every player was crap. Bit hard to judge a player over that little time.
Especially when people are still banging on how Bannan, Albrighton, Fonz etc all need more time and chances.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
Better than that American. Sorry, can't remember his name.

Michael Bradley who has been outstanding in Serie A this season...........

In fairness to Bradley, he played about 110 minutes total for us, most of which was at City in the cup debacle where pretty much every player was crap. Bit hard to judge a player over that little time.
Especially when people are still banging on how Bannan, Albrighton, Fonz etc all need more time and chances.

I agree mate he wasnt given time I am afraid if he had all the chances Marc has had he would have proved to be a very decent player as he has done in the German and Italian leagues........

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
Wow it got to the fourth post before spurious "can't tackle" fallacy was wheeled out again.  Bases, once again, no doubt, on one bad challenge that got him red carded at Blackpool.  And nothing else. 

Very good footballer, good vision, good passer,  has the vision and technique to thread a through pass, would work well in tandem with Ireland.  He was outstanding at Old Trafford last season, and played very well at home to Newcastle. Not given a proper chance and there is no way we should have let him go out on loan.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
I'm pretty certain that if we'd stuck with him and not bothered with Jenas then we would have been mathematically safe earlier than yesterday.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
I'm pretty certain that if we'd stuck with him and not bothered with Jenas then we would have been mathematically safe earlier than yesterday.

I agree with this, simplistic as it seems, there are games where his calm on the ball might have earned us one or two more points than we ended up getting. Mind you, one calm player amidst the sea of chaos McLeish creates through his small-minded fear might not have made all the difference.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »
I liked him, but can't help thinking that Houllier and then Macalister not picking him may be telling.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
I thought he was a cracking player but maybe having Herd and/or Clarke in there gave us more height and presence when defending set pieces?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
I liked him, but can't help thinking that Houllier and then Macalister not picking him may be telling.

Did'nt he pick up an injury towards the end of the season?

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
With Bent, we basically need to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (which are basically the same thing).

Our next manager just needs to work out a middle three that work well together. I still think that any of Herd, Clark, Ireland, Gardner, Makoun, Delph or our brilliant new signing COULD be in there and could work well.

I'll just take someone better than us lot to work out who should be in there, who will complement each other and how they should play. But there is definitely something there that could work because all the above are good players. It's just a case of somebody finding the right combination.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »
He is the Matthieu Berson of the 10's

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
It'd be such a waste of money to sell him though. He cost 7 million-ish, and we'll be lucky to get 2 mill for him now. Letting him go and getting in Jermaine Jenas was insane.
He cost less than 5million euros according to Mr Houllier.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal