collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we still Doug's club?  (Read 21346 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Are we still Doug's club?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
Hands up who thinks Ellis would have employed the manager who just relegated Small Heath for the second time.

Hands up who thought he'd hire the all but retired Sir Graham for the second time?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »
Hands up who thinks Ellis would have employed the manager who just relegated Small Heath for the second time.

Hands up who thought he'd hire the all but retired Sir Graham for the second time?

Absolutely nothing compared to hiring McLeish, as well you know.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »

In terms of fan reception, then no, but both still count as left field appointments that didn't work out.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »
Doug would never have employed a bloke who was busy relegating Manchester City in order to relegate us the same season, would he?

Offline rutski

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

didnt he hire mcneill who albeit relegated man city??
some amnesia going on here lately!
didnt we nearly get relegated with brian little too who doug appointed, and sir graham in the first season back in division 1 and with o'leary and with sir g mark 11.
everyone to a man wanted doug out so no romantacising and fawning over the good old days of doug ellis is logical in the slightest!!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
I'm sure a lot of people thought asking the manager of Shrewsbury to take over a team full of internationals and European champions was a good idea. Almost as good as forcing Ron Saunders out in 1979 would have been. 

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
You could argue that Villa only had one manager under Doug's reign, and they named a stand after him.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »
You could argue that Villa only had one manager under Doug's reign, and he named a stand after him.

Fixed.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
You could argue that Villa only had one manager under Doug's reign, and he named a stand after him.

Fixed.

I think Doug would state that the EFA, UEFA and FIFA asked Villa to name the stand after him for his sterling work within English football (and inventing the bicycle kick).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
I'm assuming some people are talking about a different Doug Ellis? Either that or one of the greatest re-writes of history is underway.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »
I suppose you were hissing when Lerner took over and then when he was splashing cash all over the shop and ploughing money into the stadium and whatnot?

Owshty bowsh.

Where are all those fans who weren't happy at the time, because I can't recall any.
I thought Doug was the perfect Chairman and Randy was the worst thing that could have happened to us...
In truth Doug was running us into the ground and without Randys millions we would have been relegated well before now.
I honestly bought into the Proud History Bright future times.  Part of me is hoping that all this is part of some cunning plan devised by a chairman who is cunning as a fox acting cunningly.  If Randy does let us down I will feel gutted.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

In terms of fan reception, then no, but both still count as left field appointments that didn't work out.

Oh come on. There's a bit of a difference between employing a still popular ex manager (all be it past his best) than taking on one of the most lamentable managers in Small Heath's history who had just relegated them for the second time. It pales into insignificance compared to the Taylor appointment. A ridiculous appointment that the likes of Ellis and Stride would have laughed at.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »

I thought Doug was the perfect Chairman and Randy was the worst thing that could have happened to us...

Are you taking the piss?

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »

Oh come on. There's a bit of a difference between employing a still popular ex manager (all be it past his best) than taking on one of the most lamentable managers in Small Heath's history who had just relegated them for the second time. It pales into insignificance compared to the Taylor appointment. A ridiculous appointment that the likes of Ellis and Stride would have laughed at.
If they had made this appointment they would have corrected the mistake before we finished up in this mess.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
Did I imagine all the relegation battles we had under Doug?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal