collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish holding out for a goalscoring hero  (Read 11737 times)

Offline nigel

Re: McLeish holding out for a goalscoring hero
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
It's a bit of a strange sentiment on by behalf, but I'd love this to be the way heskey sings off for the club.
I won't argue with that.
He gets a lot of stick, but he never shirks a shift.
I think he's played really well the last couple of games too and was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions .
It's saying something when I was wishing it had been him and not Gabby through on goal Saturday.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
We need Man City to still have an interest on the last day.  If United win tonight City might not bother with the last game against QPR.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »
We really have been let down by our strikers this season, whilst much of this might be down to the way they have been coached and our tactics, they have missed some gilt edged chances and if they had taken some of these, we wouldn't be in the position we are in.

Gabby stands out as a partularly to blame, he didn't seem to like playing with Bent that much, but when the opportunity arose for him when Bent was injured, he hasn't taken it. Just not good enough and he has been one of the the biggest let downs of this season IMO.

As for Heskey, never really expected much from him in terms of scoring, but it would be great if he could sign off his Villa career with a winning goal or two.

Offline nigel

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
You can see why GH brought Bent, were toothless without him

McLeish does not know how to play him neither.
He would have had his supply line, Young and Downing, not been sold off!!

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »
We really have been let down by our strikers this season, whilst much of this might be down to the way they have been coached and our tactics, they have missed some gilt edged chances and if they had taken some of these, we wouldn't be in the position we are in.

Gabby stands out as a partularly to blame, he didn't seem to like playing with Bent that much, but when the opportunity arose for him when Bent was injured, he hasn't taken it. Just not good enough and he has been one of the the biggest let downs of this season IMO.

As for Heskey, never really expected much from him in terms of scoring, but it would be great if he could sign off his Villa career with a winning goal or two.

I think him and N'Zogbia should have given us a lot more this season.  That may be a tactical as you say, but AM seemed to want to set us up as a 4-3-3 with them wide of Bent.  On paper that looks pretty tasty, but simply hasn't worked.

Shit defending is the other reason we are where we are.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »
Well he said last week that Heskey was capable of supplying the goals. He must of realised that if a striker is going to pass the ball from 8 yards out (as he did against Albion), then there isn't much hope in that happening.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »

Albrighton & Nzogbia aren't as good as Young & Downing but they still should have got better balls in, also we've rarely played the two together and when we have we've been too narrow

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »

I think him and N'Zogbia should have given us a lot more this season.  That may be a tactical as you say, but AM seemed to want to set us up as a 4-3-3 with them wide of Bent.  On paper that looks pretty tasty, but simply hasn't worked.

Shit defending is the other reason we are where we are.

For this kind of 4-3-3 to work effectively you need the full backs providing width going forward.  We don't allow that so we end up becoming very narrow, which forces crosses to be played from the corner of the box, which means you need to be very accurate to not go long, hit the keeper or play it behind the attacker.  Better overlapping from the fullbacks would mean crosses coming flat across the box, whereby you can hit them flatter between the GK and defenders and allow more wiggle room in the quality and a lot more chance of an OG.  This is albrighton's problem currently, he's very good at whipping them from near the corner flag so they shape away from the keeper but he can't get into the positions to do that at the minute.

On top of that we seem insistent on the idea of becoming a 5 without the ball, with the change simply being to pull the wingers deeper.  As all our pace is on the wings (when it's gabby and nzog there) this completely nullifies our ability to counter-attack, it also means we're often still 1-1 defensively.  what should happen is that we move the 'spare' man to the ball, so you always have a flat 4 but then you have a free person who closes the ball.  so they attack down our left, clark steps across to fill left midfield, herd, ireland and nzog fill the rest of the midfield and gabby harries the ball.  They move is central, gabby filters back, as does clark, freeing ireland to close the ball.  This means we can use those wide players to close the full backs down quickly and the striker to close down the central defenders, taking away most of their space in behind.

Offline supertom

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »
Dunney to belly bounce the ball in from a corner. "BOING!"

Mind you with Dunney, it'll probably be in our own net.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Here's a bet for you, punters.
I bet the goal that seals our safety will be from a corner.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »

Yeah, I fancy Stoke on set pieces against QPR.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
Just to be clear, I meant a goal actually scored by Villa.

Yes, legends tell of such things.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »

Albrighton & Nzogbia aren't as good as Young & Downing but they still should have got better balls in, also we've rarely played the two together and when we have we've been too narrow

Downing in the Prem . Assists 0 Goals 0 .   Nzogbia must be better than him ;)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

Yeah, I fancy Stoke on set pieces against QPR.

like it

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

Downing in the Prem . Assists 0 Goals 0 .   Nzogbia must be better than him ;)
Do corners count, because I'm sure he set up a goal for t''The Mighty Reds YNWA' in front of the Holte End this season?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal