collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:24 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 10:51:16 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:36:44 PM]

NSWE Investment by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 10:36:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 10:33:16 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ugo wants Villa job...  (Read 16718 times)

Offline Irish villain

Re: Ugo wants Villa job...
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
As defenders, I thought Ugo was the under-rated one. I was more disappointed in the manner in which he left.

I think Southgate will make a better manager than Ugo though.

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »
Ugo Ehiogu made a comment about the dream team him and Southgate in charge...

not quite a Dream Team. Laursen and Mellberg possibly. Southgate I'd take as boss despite his acrimonious transfer request - largely down to JG - but self confessed Villa hater Ugo? no thanks.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »
Both very good defenders for us.  Unfortunately, both were also early examples of the modern breed of footballer-  the type to play the system and scweam and scweam until they got the moves (and perhaps more accurately £ )  they believed they were entitled to. 

Ugo was giving interviews to national magazines as far back as 1998 about 'going stale.'   He had only became a first team regular from about 1995 onwards!   At the height of our first major wobble under Sir Brian in 1997, club captain Southgate -rather than any talk along the lines of 'we're all in this together,' instead made it clear that he wouldn't be averse to a move either "A number of players are considering their future at the club.  And I'm one of them."    Fantastic loyalty to Sir Brian, that.  The manager who signed him from yoyo outfit Palarse and turned an average midfielder into an international CB.

That neither was able to force a move earlier than 2000 and 2001 respectively is neither here nor there.  The intention was clear.

So it's a no to both, for me.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »
Life as a Villa fan gets more bizarre by the day.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
The back three of Ugo, Southgate and McGrath, with Bosnich behind them in goal was a bit special though. 

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 01:49:25 AM »
The back three of Ugo, Southgate and McGrath, with Bosnich behind them in goal was a bit special though. 

Indeed.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 01:58:34 AM »
You should all read Southgate's book "Woody and Nord", in which he talks extensively about his time at Villa.  For those who criticise him, you'll find that he was desperate for success with us, and was consistently frustrated by the lack of ambition at the club - something he had in common with most of us.  He wanted what we wanted.  I find it hard to criticise the guy. 

I don't recall him angling for a move from as early as 97, in fact I recall him being extremely professional and dedicated the whole time he was with us.  Compare his conduct to some of the current squad; we could do with his like now. After he requested a transfer (after the FA Cup final) we priced him out of a move and he knuckled down and gave us arguably his best season.  Then he went to Boro.  You can scoff all you like about him going there for the money and success (haha), but the fact he saw Boro as giving him a better shot at winning something than staying at Villa says more about the moribund state our club was in than it does about his judgment.  (And we were going nowhere, and we all know it.  Doug was too tight for us to ever go that extra step).  He could see Boro had ambition, he couldn't say the same for us.  He knew we were never going to win any of the major trophies, and he was right.  We haven't.   

Wouldn't want him as manager though, he's shit at that.  And Ugo did go to Boro purely for the money (I reckon he'd have gone to the Dark Side if they'd been able to afford him), so he can bugger right off.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:00:44 AM by Quick Jar McGrath »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:47 AM »
You should all read Southgate's book "Woody and Nord", in which he talks extensively about his time at Villa.  For those who criticise him, you'll find that he was desperate for success with us, and was consistently frustrated by the lack of ambition at the club - something he had in common with most of us.  He wanted what we wanted.  I find it hard to criticise the guy. 

I don't recall him angling for a move from as early as 97, in fact I recall him being extremely professional and dedicated the whole time he was with us.  Compare his conduct to some of the current squad; we could do with his like now. After he requested a transfer (after the FA Cup final) we priced him out of a move and he knuckled down and gave us arguably his best season.  Then he went to Boro.  You can scoff all you like about him going there for the money and success (haha), but the fact he saw Boro as giving him a better shot at winning something than staying at Villa says more about the moribund state our club was in than it does about his judgment.  And we were, and we all know it.  Doug was too tight for us to ever go that extra step.  He could see Boro had ambition, he couldn't say the same for us.  He knew we were never going to win any of the major trophies, and he was right.  We haven't.   

Wouldn't want him as manager though, he's shit at that.  And Ugo did go to Boro purely for the money (I reckon he'd have gone to the Dark Side if they'd been able to afford him), so he can bugger right off.

I'd give him the gig tomorrow. And I'm not even fucking about.

Offline luke25

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 02:14:53 AM »
Its easy to criticise Southgate and Ugo for leaving us for Boro but they both went on to lift the Carling Cup and play in a Uefa Cup final so were proved right to leave us. As for them coming back as manager, Southgate was a shit manager and Ugo needs to start at a lower league club.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:50 AM »
Southgate would not be the worst shout ever, better than the clown we have in right now.

Offline luke25

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 02:26:41 AM »
Southgate would not be the worst shout ever, better than the clown we have in right now.
My only problem with that is its almost as if we'd take anybody aslong as McLeish has gone, we had this attitude last season with Houllier and ended up in this mess, when he's gone we need the best man possible to take us forward.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:04 AM »
In an interview when appointed with the FA, Southgate said he saw himself as working in development rather than management, admittedly this was without an actual offer on the table.

I think he’d be a great guy to have as the head of development at Villa - coaching the coaches and learning new pioneering techniques etc.  I also think he’d be a reasonable guy to have in the ear of the board and speaking to the media. 

A great appointment.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 04:05:51 AM »
If we're after ex-defenders, take a punt on Martin Laursen from that there Danish Second Division.  Especially if he could bring Michael Laudrup's boy with him

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 05:11:54 AM »
Southgate has always struck me as a thoroughly decent guy and probably too nice to be a top flight manager.

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:52 AM »

Indeed.
And also a bit short lived if it ever (my memory isn't what it once was) actually happened.

Southgate joined in 1995, I think. Close to the end of McGrath's time at the club.

Edit, a quick check shows Southgate and McGrath overlapped by a year. The year we won the League Cup, were semifinalist in the FA Cup and finished 4th before it became the be-all-and-end-all. So yes, it was a bit special.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:46:56 AM by Chris Harte »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal