collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dignity: A polite request  (Read 14091 times)

Offline garyfouroaks

Re: Dignity: A polite request
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 05:21:59 AM »
Dignatas - a mercy killing for the season?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:53 AM »
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Kipeye, in the sense that our expectations have run way ahead of most of the likely outcomes for us.
It's time to re-build, properly, as fans and as a club, and if this means a period in the second Division (in old money) well so be it.
Forget the glitz, the glory, the bullshit of the EPL; forget in what order our game appears on MOTD; ignore the goadings of other fans.
Let's invoke the heritage of the club that we support and seek a genuine path to sustainable future success.
I have contributed to and read over the comments in yesterday's Guardian  article and it's instructive to read what other fans say about Villa: for many, there is ennui and a metaphorical shrug of the shoulders; for some there is schadenfreude (Barcodes, Boggies and Bluenoses, mainly) because our 'birds are coming home to roost'.

If we stay up, we need to persuade the owner / management that this has been a cathartic season and something now needs to be done for the long-term. If we drop, then we again need to think more seriously about who the "Vic Crowe" character needs to be to bring us back stronger and healthier than we are currently.

In all of this, we 'win' in the eyes of the football world if we maintain the dignity of which Kipeye speaks.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
It is either dignity or go down.

Well no, not really.

We have been quite dignified for the vast majority of home games on you know who's watch, ignoring where he came from and all that other bobbins.  With people ready and willing to give him a chance he's delivered 4 home wins.

I'm not advocating riots either, BTW.

But dignity AND going down - or going down with barely a murmur- would be largely consistent with this season as a whole.
I appreciate that there has not been a great deal of protesting etc during most of our games this season and it has only really come to the boil a couple of times. However, if the atmosphere at the start of the next few games is anything like it was at the end of the Bolton one, we might as well throw the towel in now. As the crowds have diminished at Villa Park, the noise levels have gone up. We need to keep that up and get over the line. Don't for a minute think that I was sitting there happy-clapping. I was well pissed off with how that game turned out. It had always been a banker of at least a point for me and to see the lead thrown away was stomach turning, especially with the predicament it now leaves us in.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »
Unfortunately the FA have allowed our game to be a battle of who can spend the most money, who has the richest owner. Don't want to be relegated but if we do survive it will be in the knowledge that we among many others will not be able to compete with the few. I know there has been animosity toward the Geordies but they have given me hope, i am one who would love them to keep one of the so called elite sides out of Europe. Kipeye you are right, but after the seasons finished supporters would be entitled to vent their feelings.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:01 AM »
I wasn't at the match the other night, I nearly was..Lucky escape, When I have been down I've never directed any abuse towards any player! I also got into an arguement at Wigan defending Bent.

All of my frustration lies at the door of mcleish & Lerner but you're right we do need to get berhind the team and I'm sure we will staring at the Boggies

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:38:57 AM »
It is either dignity or go down. A time for cool heads all round.

Sorry that's nonsense Dave.   They are not mutually exclusive, we can show all the dignity we like but could still go down.    It is possible to protest with dignity - see Villa revolution 1968 - but I've absolutely nothing against people venting their feelings at the game the other night,or any other game, because it's the best way to let that idiot owner and his lickspittle know how the fans feel.   It may or may not affect the performance, only the players can tell you the true answer to that one, but they can hardly play any worse than they have been recently.  And I believe ultimately it's in the best interests of the club to do anything to rid it of that incompetent manager.  Sometimes you have to endure pain to get the gain. For me, if we are going down, it's better to go with a fight than with a whimper - to quote a famous poet - "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:41:32 AM by ktvillan »

Offline philthebar

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »
Yes it was too personal

Yes it was over the top

But it was a genuine statement of disenchantment and frustration for yet another poor result and it came from all corners of the ground.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
£4m pay off buys you an awful lot of dignity

There's a Gingoid I know
He's a manager for the Villa
Has been all season
And he takes advice off nobody
And puts us in the gutter
He's loved by Faulkner
And Lerners soft as butter
And he picks the sides for draws
The fans call him "McCunty"
He never lets on
But i know 'cause he once told me
He let me know a secret about the money in his contract
He's gonna buy a luxury yacht
Gonna call it dignity

And he'll sail her up the west coast
Through villages and towns
He'll be on his holidays
While our club is going down
They'll ask him how he got her he'll say "with those ******'s money"
They'll say isn't it shitty that ship called dignity

And i'm telling this story
becuase his wages are obscene
Sipping down the table
It must be a bad dream
And i'm thinking about our club and all that means
And a relegation with no dignity
He'll be on his holidays
They'll ask him how he got her he'll say "with those ******'s money"

And i'm thinking about Europe
And i'm thinking about trophies
And i'm thinking about full grounds
And i'm thinking about how good it would be
To be back there some day

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
£4m pay off buys you an awful lot of dignity

There's a Gingoid I know
He's a manager for the Villa
Has been all season
And he takes advice off nobody
And puts us in the gutter
He's loved by Faulkner
And Lerners soft as butter
And he picks the sides for draws
The fans call him "McCunty"
He never lets on
But i know 'cause he once told me
He let me know a secret about the money in his contract
He's gonna buy a luxury yacht
Gonna call it dignity

He'll be on his holidays
They'll ask him how he got her he'll say "with those c***'s money"

And i'm telling this story
becuase his wages are obscene
Sipping down the table
It must be a bad dream
And i'm thinking about our club and all that means
And a relegation with no dignity
He'll be on his holidays
They'll ask him how he got her he'll say "with those c***'s money"

And i'm thinking about Europe
And i'm thinking about trophies
And i'm thinking about full grounds
And i'm thinking about how good it would be
To be back there some day

That's brilliant

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »

Sorry that's nonsense Dave.   They are not mutually exclusive, we can show all the dignity we like but could still go down.    It is possible to protest with dignity - see Villa revolution 1968 - but I've absolutely nothing against people venting their feelings at the game the other night,or any other game, because it's the best way to let that idiot owner and his lickspittle know how the fans feel.   It may or may not affect the performance, only the players can tell you the true answer to that one, but they can hardly play any worse than they have been recently.  And I believe ultimately it's in the best interests of the club to do anything to rid it of that incompetent manager.  Sometimes you have to endure pain to get the gain. For me, if we are going down, it's better to go with a fight than with a whimper - to quote a famous poet - "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light".

All I am saying is that, if we want to stay up, we must get behind the team for the remaining games as nobody could possibly play in the atmosphere as it was at the end of the Bolton game. If all hope has gone, as it had after 80 odd minutes the other night, then letting rip can do no further damage.
Those who would prefer that we go down and rebuild might think differently and that is up to them.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »
I see where you are coming from to an extent DC5, but on the other hand, our best chance of staying up might be to ditch McLeish now, because a change often brings a fresh impetus.  And our best chance of doing that might be if everyone in the ground lets Randy and Faulkner know they want him out in no uncertain terms.  But you have a point, maybe wait until the last 10 minutes or so and only give it the verbals if it looks like yet another cock up.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
I see where you are coming from to an extent DC5, but on the other hand, our best chance of staying up might be to ditch McLeish now, because a change often brings a fresh impetus.  And our best chance of doing that might be if everyone in the ground lets Randy and Faulkner know they want him out in no uncertain terms.  But you have a point, maybe wait until the last 10 minutes or so and only give it the verbals if it looks like yet another cock up.

The club’s statement is pretty specific that he is going no-where for the next three games.  So whilst you might be right it’s not going to happen so get behind the team and hope we can muddle through despite everything else.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »
If things go well this weekend and we're virtually safe by time of Spurs game can we give him both barrels then?

Offline pestria

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »

All I am saying is that, if we want to stay up, we must get behind the team for the remaining games as nobody could possibly play in the atmosphere as it was at the end of the Bolton game. If all hope has gone, as it had after 80 odd minutes the other night, then letting rip can do no further damage.
Those who would prefer that we go down and rebuild might think differently and that is up to them.

The atmosphere at the end of the Bolton game did not cause or contribute to the result.  The atmosphere reflected the total inability of everyone (manager, coaching staff and players) to stem the disintegration in the quality of football during the last 30 mins into something that a Sunday Parks Team would have been embarrassed to be associated with.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
Faulkner and Lerner need to help put some dignity back into this club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal