collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dignity: A polite request  (Read 14133 times)

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
Dignity: A polite request
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
It hasn't been a pleasant time to be a Villain lately, this year in particular, but now that we are facing the fact that we have slid beyond depths we never expected to face. In the light of this its not surprising many have expressed anger and worse at the continuing worsening of our situation. Many of us have fallen out badly too.
Well, life goes on with or without football and for those of us who before have faced meltdown (not as simple as just relegation - that's only part of it), many of us will remember reaching a turning point where we let go of our expectations and resigned ourselves to supporting the club whatever the future brings.
It is hard to understand why some of us go on that the Third Division days were some of the best times as a supporter. Not because we liked being down there below every other Midland club but because we had let go of our expectations and simply began supporting the team.
I would like to see our dignity return whatever our footballing status. No amount of bile aimed at our team,manager, owner and fellow supporters will change things by itself. Only a sense of humour and humility is likely to get us back together-wherever we end up.
Please, everyone-give us back our dignity.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dignity: A polite request
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
I've got it on 7".  Yours for £2 plus postage.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
I've got it on 7".  Yours for £2 plus postage.
Risso-you've been told before what 7" is-stop exaggerating.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
Good post Kipeye. I think there's been a lot of that sentiment today. People are talking of a rally the troops style effort for the next home game. There's too much at stake now.

It's between the players and the fans now. It would be better if McLeish wasn't there but he is. Lets forget he's there and focus on channelling good energy to the players. Direct them from the Holte End. Then when we know our fate at the end of the season, our feelings (and real value to the club) will be known.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
Good post Kipeye. I think there's been a lot of that sentiment today. People are talking of a rally the troops style effort for the next home game. There's too much at stake now.

It's between the players and the fans now. It would be better if McLeish wasn't there but he is. Lets forget he's there and focus on channelling good energy to the players. Direct them from the Holte End. Then when we know our fate at the end of the season, our feelings (and real value to the club) will be known.

Post of the day.  Spot on. 

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »

Let's give it 110% for the next three games never mind the next home game.  Starting with West Brom, there's plenty of points to be won.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »

Let's give it 110% for the next three games never mind the next home game.  Starting with West Brom, there's plenty of points to be won.

No, fuck that shabby 110 percent, let's give it ONE MILLION PERCENT.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
Yep, nice post.

Even if we can't bring ourselves to cheer McLeish, let's make the Spurs game reminiscent of one of those great European nights, when we jeer and boo every touch from the opposition. And instead of waiting for a cue from the team, let's make some noise throughout the game, encouragement goes a long way way when confidence is low, especially for the young lads we'll most likely be fielding.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
If the players give 68% possession to our opponents, and with your usual copious abuse, I'm sure we can get the right result.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
It is either dignity or go down. A time for cool heads all round.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35:43 PM »
How times change.

30 years ago we beat Bayern in the European Cup Final.  Chelsea came 12 in the old Second Division.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »
Thankyou very much Kipeye, a very nice post.

As I've said before one of the few things that I would genuinely look forward to in relegation would be having the ground containing those who actually love the club, and not those who came along for the O'Neil ride.

West Brom are, and always will be, utter shit. Spurs are in a dire run of form at the moment, and Norwich are overrated and have nothing to play for. We've all been waiting for the players to give us something to sing about; lets give them something to play for.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:39 PM »
How times change.

30 years ago we beat Bayern in the European Cup Final.  Chelsea came 12 in the old Second Division.
10 years before that we were Third Division Champions and as proud as we could be; about to embark on a great journey.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 03:14:22 AM »
It is either dignity or go down.

Well no, not really.

We have been quite dignified for the vast majority of home games on you know who's watch, ignoring where he came from and all that other bobbins.  With people ready and willing to give him a chance he's delivered 4 home wins.

I'm not advocating riots either, BTW.

But dignity AND going down - or going down with barely a murmur- would be largely consistent with this season as a whole.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 04:05:59 AM »
Dignity is a two way street.The fans have lost it once in a very bad season(I am not counting the pre season protest).I think you are showing 95% of our fans a lack of dignity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal