collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Spare a thought.  (Read 12256 times)

Offline MAGNAN VILLAIN

Spare a thought.
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
I know many of us on this and other Villa supporters forums are feeling sick, angry, upset, dreading the next few games, fearing the worst for the future etc, etc, .. has anyone spared a thought for poor old Doug?
Okay, he wasn't the best thing at Villa Park over the years, league and European success happened without him, but one has to admit he kept the club financially stable with no or little debt, and he wasn't called Deadly Doug for nothing with the managers who failed to deliver the goods. He lived for our club, like him or hate him his devotion to the club was unquestionable, so here's my question ..

How the hell can he be feeling at this moment with the state of the very thing he spent most of his life involved with?

Lets not forget he still attends the games home and away, so he's a multimillionaire people will say, but he sold the club for lots of money to someone he thought would improve the club, it hasn't worked out that way but he hasn't hidden away from the fans like his successor.

Poor old Doug, he must feel as bad as the rest of us at least, lets hope he puts Lerner in the picture and tells him what to do with you know who!

Get out those prayer mats, I think we might need them.

UTV.

Offline danlanza

Re: Spare a thought.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
If i was Lerner i would get old Deadly back in the fold to sort this whole mess out.Maybe Lerner might learn how to run a football club then.Ive had my prayer mat ready since the first game of the season anyway.

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:08 PM »
Have to respect Doug. Chairman for decades and even in his old, old age he still goes to more games than our current custodian Lerner. Without question I'd want him back to sort out the complete mess Lerner has got us in.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
I bet Doug never thought he would see us decline so much after he sold the club to Lerner.  Poor doug.  I bet deep down he is thinking that we should of got rid of Mcleish a long time ago but cant say anything

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
As Club President I suppose he has to put a front on and follow the party line a bit.
But I bet he was humming along under his breath when we had a sing song in the last 5 minutes.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
I was talking about Doug on the way home last night.  He must be desperate to get in there and sort this mess out.

Whatever's been said about Doug, he would have never appointed this ****** and allowed it to carry on.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
Even if he had been unfortunate enough to appoint him the axe would have fallen on ginger many weeks ago.

Offline levico

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
The difference is that Doug was here and he cared - still does.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »
The main thing everybody says to me whenever I mention Ellis, is

'He'd have got rid of this clown by now.'

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
Poor old Doug? Fuck me. He's the last person I will spare a thought for.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Things must be bad for us to have a 'Doug Love in'...

Offline danlanza

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »

Because it's the truth!

Offline supertom

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
For all Dougy's faults, he understood how to run a football club. We were always in decent financial state. I know many thought he was tight and didn't spend in key moments when spending could have reaped great rewards, but we only need to look at what Randy did with O Neill and the financial implications of the last year because of it. Doug never went overboard. To some extent he kept the fans ambitions in cheque by not spending huge amounts like Randy. With that expenditure, you're expectations build but we're not a club that can afford to outlay 40 million in a transfer window with very little back. It's not feasible. Now our squad is fooking shite.
In retrospect it was sensible of Doug, in that he'd always close up his purse quite quickly if a manager, most notably Gregory, dropped too many costly clangers. He did spend in fairness. Quite significantly. He'd never have allowed O Neill to spend so much, 3 summers running, with so many expensive flops.

AND...O Neill did well here. Of course, he was appointed by Doug.

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »

I am sure he would - BEFORE now.
I was no fan of HDE, but you can't fault his instinct for survival.
(That said - if we do go down, the old fella might lose the will !)

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
For all Dougy's faults, he understood how to run a football club. We were always in decent financial state. I know many thought he was tight and didn't spend in key moments when spending could have reaped great rewards, but we only need to look at what Randy did with O Neill and the financial implications of the last year because of it. Doug never went overboard. To some extent he kept the fans ambitions in cheque by not spending huge amounts like Randy. With that expenditure, you're expectations build but we're not a club that can afford to outlay 40 million in a transfer window with very little back. It's not feasible. Now our squad is fooking shite.
In retrospect it was sensible of Doug, in that he'd always close up his purse quite quickly if a manager, most notably Gregory, dropped too many costly clangers. He did spend in fairness. Quite significantly. He'd never have allowed O Neill to spend so much, 3 summers running, with so many expensive flops.

AND...O Neill did well here. Of course, he was appointed by Doug.

I (we?) - wrong all along !  Bring back Doug ! Doug for Prime Minister ! Doug for King ! Doug is GOD !  Er, no.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal