collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A question about the local press coverage  (Read 10202 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
A question about the local press coverage
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
Many years ago we had the awful headline about venglos  "Go now"

We had similar last season with GH with the mail

Why have we not had a similar headline on the back pages now with this muppet in charge - surely it is worse now than it was then

Would we be able to control the press like we can with inside the ground protests?

Offline danlanza

Re: A question about the local press coverage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
Mainstream media never tell you what you want to hear,only what they want you to hear.

Offline Hookeysmith

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
In general i understand what you are saying

Venglos - many years ago the EM had the headline something like  "For the love of God go now"

Cannot remember exactly but it was very similar last year with GH

Just wondering why not with this clown?

Offline danlanza

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
Maybe that's where all our money has gone.Lerner bunging the EM buckets of cash to say only good things about our clown?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
I think everyone, fans and press alike, are concious of where Mcleish came from.  It is affecting their judgement upon how they should react to this situation.

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »
I posted this earlier to the EM Website...  (If you like it - "LIKE" it - the more who agree - the more they must listen)

Mat : It IS time for You to be a REAL journalist - STOP regurgitating the rubbish PR sent out from Villa Park & tell it how it REALLY is ! They'll not lock you out & you will gain the respect of your (Villa) readers ! "Alex McLeish vows" is the latest TRIPE we are fed. Fans are NOT idiots , but we are treated with contempt. The club is heading for relegation because of this man's incompetence. You know it, we know it - WRITE IT , please !
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:02:54 PM by Dr.Feelgood »

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
I think everyone, fans and press alike, are concious of where Mcleish came from.  It is affecting their judgement upon how they should react to this situation.

So - it's OK for him to relegate TWO clubs then ?

Not concerned where he came from - VERY CONCERNED about the damage he is doing to OUR club...

Offline Hookeysmith

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »
Two points:

For every sensible villa fan that declared that they did not care where he came from it was his managerial record that mattered - they only seem to interview ones that open with "He was ex blues ............" which enforces the mind set that we are all just obsessed with them

Secondly

Last night i had an hour + drive from work to the game and on talk shite once they got over the wankfest with the Chelsea / Barca game Durham advertised at least 3 times that they wanted to hear from Villa fans over what is going on - by the time i got to the game there had been only one caller and then he did not really put the point over as it should have been.
Does the radio vet all the calls so only the mundane caller gets through - or as fans have we actually lost the passion for our club due to the incompetence of those in charge of it and simply gave up?

In the medias eyes have we really become that inconsequential?

Offline mikeb1982

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
I fear that apathy was really setting in, maybe now the crowd has turned we will make ourselves heard more in the press. There has been a fear of coming over as small minded, but now we have football stats to make our point (lowest number of home wins etc).  I really wish McLeish had taken us onwards and upwards, I just want to see my club win, but it's clearly not to be and now he has to go

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »
Two points:

For every sensible villa fan that declared that they did not care where he came from it was his managerial record that mattered - they only seem to interview ones that open with "He was ex blues ............" which enforces the mind set that we are all just obsessed with them

Secondly

Last night i had an hour + drive from work to the game and on talk shite once they got over the wankfest with the Chelsea / Barca game Durham advertised at least 3 times that they wanted to hear from Villa fans over what is going on - by the time i got to the game there had been only one caller and then he did not really put the point over as it should have been.
Does the radio vet all the calls so only the mundane caller gets through - or as fans have we actually lost the passion for our club due to the incompetence of those in charge of it and simply gave up?

In the medias eyes have we really become that inconsequential?

Yes we have.
Villa are a joke in the eyes of the Media.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
The EM doing a poll if he should stay and Kendrick certainly more pro active in asking if people want him to stay points to a change in tone from them.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »
I think the press are walking on eggshells in a similar way to Villa fans, in a sense.  It has been commented that Mcleish has had an easier ride than, say, Houllier did last year.  This is because the fans who may have been more forthcoming with their crisitisms feared being accused of exactly what they were accused of in many cases - being prejudiced because of Mcleish's background. 

If it is the press who have been doing this kind of finger pointing (i.e. saying you're only having a go at Mcleish because he came from the Blues), can they turn round and be so damning now?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:34:42 PM by not3bad »

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
Im sick of the media coming out with the ' its where he came from '

Look , if Blose had finish 5th or 6th  twice and won the FA Cup , and played great football.  I would have been over the moon ,
even If he had come from Blose.

ITS HIS CRAP FOOTBALL !!!!!!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »
The headline in today's EM reads "What's Going Wrong?".  Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!!  He should have been asking that question a couple of months ago, not leaving it until we are right in the mire.    I just wonder if journalists have been instructed by the club to lay off McLeish and I noticed that last night a banner criticising McLeish was soon taken down by stewards.  Other managers have been given a tough time by the EM when things haven't been going well (I can remember O'Leary slating the Villa journalist at the time for his coverage), but McLeish seems to have been given a pretty easy ride.

As for Tom Ross on the radio, he must be secretly delighted at what is going on at the Villa.  I listened to his phone-in on Monday night the other week and he spent the whole show talking about Ashley Young's dive and not one mention about the situation at Villa.  Pat Herd has to be one of the poorest summarisers in the media and struggles to barely get a coherent sentence out most of the time.  At least the people at WM have been a bit more animated, but most of their ire has been aimed at Lerner.  Pat Murphy would be the ideal man to say what is really happening, but we don't get too much exposure on Radio 5.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:47:55 PM by tomd2103 »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
Why were fans at Man City delighted about signing Tevez? But we didn't want McShit? Talent.

Thats the difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal