collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manager or players?  (Read 8289 times)

Offline Five Villa Tattoos

Re: Manager or players?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »
My first post on here.I've been meaning to get this off my chest for weeks and after last night's shambles now seems to be the right time.
I think the players have been lucky that we have the worst manager in years currently in charge.
I get the feeling that they know that the manager will catch all the flack for shit performances and they get off by appearing in the press with all the usual bollocks such as "We know what we need to do" and phrases on twitter like " 3 points today lads", before either another draw or loss.
I'm Villa for life wherever we end up at the end of the season, the same can't be said for some of our players,I'm sure.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
Manager 100%. Take a look at the noses team he sent down. Foster, Ridgewell, Johnson, Dann, Carr, Ferguson, Bowyer, Larson, Gardner, Zigic, Fahey, Jerome, Beausejour.

How many if any (Foster) would you start or even have in the Villa squad? He has started with a much better squad. Due to his negative and narrow tactics, we are where we are.

It was summed up last night. For once Zog gets to the byline, pulls the ball back, result is a goal. More of the same please, but no - he takes off Albrighton and puts him in the middle.

i agree totaly gingers fault
I totally agree to.The blame has to stop with the manager.He is the one who tells the team the game plan so he has to take the blame.Have we ever had so few wins at home in a season?Anybody got the stats on this please?

Offline danlanza

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
My first post on here.I've been meaning to get this off my chest for weeks and after last night's shambles now seems to be the right time.
I think the players have been lucky that we have the worst manager in years currently in charge.
I get the feeling that they know that the manager will catch all the flack for shit performances and they get off by appearing in the press with all the usual bollocks such as "We know what we need to do" and phrases on twitter like " 3 points today lads", before either another draw or loss.
I'm Villa for life wherever we end up at the end of the season, the same can't be said for some of our players,I'm sure.
Well said.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
Manager 100%. Take a look at the noses team he sent down. Foster, Ridgewell, Johnson, Dann, Carr, Ferguson, Bowyer, Larson, Gardner, Zigic, Fahey, Jerome, Beausejour.

How many if any (Foster) would you start or even have in the Villa squad? He has started with a much better squad. Due to his negative and narrow tactics, we are where we are.

It was summed up last night. For once Zog gets to the byline, pulls the ball back, result is a goal. More of the same please, but no - he takes off Albrighton and puts him in the middle.

Looking at that team it was better than the one now doing well in the Championship.  Then he took on an even better squad at Villa and looks like repeating his favourite trick.  Who can he try it on next?  Chelsea and Spurs might be looking for a new manager!

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
The players do have to take some blame of course , last night Cuellar was at fault for both goals IMO.However the tatics of hitting it long to Heskey that is from the manager.Hleb and Davies former players have both commented on his tatics as have Blues fans.

His words after games make it obvious , the Elite club BS that he goes into games trying to to lose it's poor tatics and poor management.Even if players are making mistakes etc he should in interviews take responsibility and talk to players behind closed doors.Fact is he has won 15 games in 72 with 2 different clubs using what 30 plus different players with the same results.He has to shoulder the majority of the blame.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »
All culpable but my blame list (in descending order) would be owner, manager, senior players.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

Nail on the head, well said.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »
Our relegation fight is a symptom of bad ownership but the immediate reason for this squad's level of underachievement is the manager.

Totally agree, rightly or wrongly theirs a way to teach, Train and Manage multi million pound players and although I may not always agree with the manner its done, the outcome on the pitch is what matters.

McLeish is one of many dinosaur manager's that this country should not tolerate at any level of Football Manangement!

Offline manic-road

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:44 PM »
The fault lies at the top with poor decisions made especially over the last couple of years. If you don't put investment into the team and continusally sell your prized assets their is only one way the club will head in. However the manager has set up the team many times to try to keep a clean sheet rather than try to win games, and the players have made many poor decisions during games which have cost us dearly.

We need a complete overhaul from top to bottom otherwise we could end up doing a Coventry.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Doing a Coventry or a Sheffield Wednesday really doesn't bare thinking about,but i suppose it is possible if things dont change NOW!

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »
i think the players are hiding behind the hatred of the manager. Seriously what had Agbonlahor done since Christmas? N'Zog doesn't look interested enough for a £10m player. I am also not convinced all these injuries aren't convenient reasons not to play in a struggling team.

Offline spirit of 82

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »
I appreciate that some of our players are not the best,but it must be the manager and his coaching staff who decide that hoofing the ball up to a target man is our best option,the manager picks the team and decides to play players in unnatural positions,the manager decides on subtitutions that no one else can understand.We surrender possession to anybody nowadays,why have our players not been coached to pass the ball and retain the ball.
ITS THE MANAGER WHO MUST ACCEPT BLAME.
Even when we had more senior players available the football was not good enough.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
MANAGER        look at norwich team compared to ours , did you know any of those players , I still dont  and Swansea ,they have Luke Moore up front .  Its the managers job to sort out his shit players .

Offline mr woo

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
Most managers will tell you there's only so much you can influence during the game itself, and there will always be mistakes, off days, personal issues and disregarded instructions among players.

But the structure of the team, the tactics and the motivation are the managers responsibility. What's struck me this year is how random our play is, almost off the cuff or hit n hope. No goals from corners all season, no threat from 'straight from the training ground' free kicks. In fact a recently produced table of goals from open play put us comfortably in the top half.

It makes you wonder what the hell they are doing all week at Bodymoor Heath.

So yes, I take your point about the players on board , some of them plainly aren't good enough , but the reason we are where we are is because of incompetence from the manager and his coaching staff.

And the reason we have an incompetent manager?
Well you'll have to ask Randy that one, because it's a fucking mystery to me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:08:09 PM by mr woo »

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »

Individually, the players must take responsibilty for their own performances.

Ultimately, the performance of the TEAM is the resposibility of the Manager.

And the 'performance' of AVFC as a Club ?  - The Owner / Chairman & his appointed representative.

Faulkener was instrumental in the appointment of McLeech (a failure)
The Manager has FAILED to motivate his players & they have under-achieved.
He is tactically inept & his No. 2 is simply a 'yes man' - who is totally useless.
That is why we're in this mess. Players don't respect him, - so don't perform.
INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY is the root at all levels. A Manager should Manage.

No success ? No job. Simple
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:11:08 PM by Dr.Feelgood »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal