collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Spurs Game  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
The Spurs Game
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
So we're almost definitely not going to be safe by this point, and a week on Sunday, I'm very interested into seeing what the atmosphere at Villa Park is going to be like. This was targeted by many of the early anti-McLeish advocates as a potential spot for a mass protest etc. But this game has turned into a bigger one, and more of a must-win than the Bolton disaster we witnessed tonight.

What I'm suggesting is that being as we're on the verge of relegation as it is, and that this game is somewhat winnable given Spurs recent form, we start some fan initiative similar to the 'bring a scarf/flag' idea for the Newcastle game last season; which worked a treat.

I know we're all not exactly in the mood right now, but we need to get behind the team to ensue Premier League survival, lets start something.

Offline Irish villain

Re: The Spurs Game
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:29 AM »
Hear Hear. I fully agree. Time to galvanise. Survival is now at stake. It does not matter who is in the dug-out, Aston Villa are on the pitch.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »
Your right of course. But now fans have openly turned during the game. I think most would be against protests pre match or during the game as such with survival  still at stake, however if Spurs score then a lot are just going to turn on Mcleish and the chants will start and it will take on a life of its own and things get worse as the game regresses.
Therefore, remove the immediate source of discontent (McLeish) so that everybody will concentrate on the game and backing the team. If Lerner cannot see this and is willing to persist with this liability of a man during what is going to be the most important 19 days in our history for many years, he is an even bigger fool than I thought.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
Hear Hear. I fully agree. Time to galvanise. Survival is now at stake. It does not matter who is in the dug-out, Aston Villa are on the pitch.

Thankyou.

We've been waiting for the players to give us something to sing about. We need to give them something to play for.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »
Your right of course. But now fans have openly turned during the game. I think most would be against protests pre match or during the game as such with survival  still at stake, however if Spurs score then a lot are just going to turn on Mcleish and the chants will start and it will take on a life of its own and things get worse as the game regresses.
Therefore, remove the immediate source of discontent (McLeish) so that everybody will concentrate on the game and backing the team. If Lerner cannot see this and is willing to persist with this liability of a man during what is going to be the most important 19 days in our history for many years, he is an even bigger fool than I thought.

Never underestimate the ineptitude of the blokes in charge.

I agree though, I'm praying that I wake up tomorrow morning to see "McLeish sacked", but you're right - people are likely going to still turn.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »
I think the trouble is, if we lose to an in form Albion at the weekend, which is likely, then the tension is going to be unbearable. The board should act now, take that pressure out, galvanise the fans, fill the ground and try and get the win we so badly need.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »
I think the trouble is, if we lose to an in form Albion at the weekend, which is likely, then the tension is going to be unbearable. The board should act now, take that pressure out, galvanise the fans, fill the ground and try and get the win we so badly need.

Agreed.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:17:29 AM »

It's been obvious for a few weeks that this is what's needed. Obvious to everybody except the guy that matters. He panicked into buying Bent last year, could he not just fucking sack McLeish this year?

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:26 AM »

Spot on. Teams always respond to new manager and the fans will respond to the fact Mcleishbhas gone. Even bring in big Ron for a 3 game stint.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:37 AM »
If we had Bent tonight we would have sewn it up by half time.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:24:28 AM »
Think how much lighter the atmosphere will be if we pull off a miracle and pinch three points at the Tescobags this weekend.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »
Think how much lighter the atmosphere will be if we pull off a miracle and pinch three points at the Tescobags this weekend.

Believe.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
Because I'm mental, I've already bought my ticket to the Spurs game. Hopefully I won't be sat next to a miseryarse again.

Solidarity in the face of adversity.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:31:23 AM »
Because I'm mental, I've already bought my ticket to the Spurs game. Hopefully I won't be sat next to a miseryarse again.

Solidarity in the face of adversity.

Within ten minutes of the final whistle I was on the OS buying tickets, I'm not sure if I'm a saint for being a loyal fan or a fool for being a 'blind sheep'.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »

Spot on. Teams always respond to new manager and the fans will respond to the fact Mcleishbhas gone. Even bring in big Ron for a 3 game stint.

Absolutly 100% correct and i've heard of worse ideas thant the Big Ron one too - we just desperatley need an X factor.

Totally makes sense to get rid of AML now for all the reasons outlined.  Just don't think it'll happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal