collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If we drop what do we need?  (Read 9217 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
If we drop what do we need?
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:59:36 PM »
Ok, so we are now 3 points above the dreaded line, with 1 of those sides below having a game in hand and all of them in much better form.

So, rather than doom and gloom, lets start to embrace our new found trips to Brighton, and er.... some other sides in the Championship.

Who do we think will stay, go and what do we need to come in to bounce straight back.

Going would be NZogbia, Dunne, Warnock, Given, Cuellar, Heskey unless he took a massive wage drop to 15k a week, Gabby, Bent and Makoun.

I will kick off with saying I would have the core side of the kids and get Guzan on a new deal.

I would be tempted to keep Collins if possible, as he would be useful in the Championship. I think Hutton would stay due to  lack of buyers! All in I reckon we would have a budget of about 20 million to get people in to bolster the kids. We have the nucleus with the kids, but what would we need to help them out. I would be after Rhodes from Huddersfield, a couple of wingers, maybe even Whittingham from Cardiff if they don't come up.

Guzan
Lichaj, Hutton
Stevens
Collins, Clark, Baker

Herd, Delph, Gardner, Bannan

Albrighton, Carruthers

Weimann, Fonz

So, who could we get, with a bit of Championship knowledge that would help us get back up, and who do we get in as manager to do it?

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: If we drop what do we need?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »
It really doesn't bear thinking about.  If the best we could get last year was McLeish, god only knows who Randy's gt up his sleeve for next year.  Marlon King probably.

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:27 PM »
Who is the 2012 equivalent of Sir GT?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
Clear the decks of every piece of crap left at the club, bring in a younger manager who is hungry and will relish the challenge of making us great again. Someone like a Poyet that with a 4 year contract will be able to shape the club and have enough about him, given the resources to play the right way and bring us up immediately. It can be done.

But I agree, it really doesn't bear thinking about.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:26 PM »
Clear the decks of every piece of crap left at the club, bring in a younger manager who is hungry and will relish the challenge of making us great again. Someone like a Poyet that with a 4 year contract will be able to shape the club and have enough about him, given the resources to play the right way and bring us up immediately. It can be done.

But I agree, it really doesn't bear thinking about.

Agree, but it needs to be done whatever league we're in.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »
Andre Villas-Boas.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »
The youth need to be kept at all costs imo. O.k maybe Clark will be pursued by higher clubs but we really need to keep the others, play them in the CORRECT postions and start the revival with them as our heartbeat.

Make Gardner captain in central midfield with Herd alongside him. Weimann would score goals in that league without a doubt.

I'm sure the likes of Lichaj and Baker would be o.k at the back.

The senior players can feck off for all I care although no doubt we'd be left with some behind as Newcastle were when they went down. Probably Hutton and Warnock are two we'd find difficult to shift imo.

Of course you need a mix at that level. A Kevin Nolan type who can contribute 15 goals from midfield and be the experience help to the younger players in that area.

I've given it some thought and I would take the ignominy of the championship for a year if there was a cast iron guarantee a) the club would properly sort itself from top to bottom like Newcastle have done and b) we came straight back up.

Can anyone really see those two things happening though if the worst happened?

Offline myf

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:14 PM »
After recent performances i don't think the kids are ready for the championship. i reckon randy would stick with am as well given that he took blues back up.

Its a fucking nightmare

Offline Cuz

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
How depressing is this

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:25:04 PM »
Doesn't the fact that we cannot win a game prove that most of the kids are not good enough?  Clark, Baker, Herd maybe are going to be good enough, along with Gardner.  The rest of the squad can go.  We'd also need to keep Bent, Collins, again, the rest can go.  We may also need to appoint a Manager like Neil Warnock for the Championship.  It doesn't bare thinking about.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »
If we stay up, what do we need?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »
I wouldn't take going down if it guaranteed we sorted ourselves out. It's obvious that needs to happen and I can't believe it won't, so I'd rather do it without the stigma of being relegated first.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
If we drop, the very first thing we need to do is sack Faulkner and appoint someone who understands the football business.

Anything else and we'd just be papering over the cracks.

Some of the players are shit, the manager is fucking useless, but the chairman is clueless. We can't get rid of him, so we have to hope he gets rid of the hopeless amateurs running this club beneath him, and replaces them with people who have the first idea what they are doing.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »
I've given it some thought and I would take the ignominy of the championship for a year if there was a cast iron guarantee a) the club would properly sort itself from top to bottom like Newcastle have done and b) we came straight back up.

Can anyone really see those two things happening though if the worst happened?

Possibly.  Under the correct manager, don't ask me who, I think we'd walk it.  We'd have to keep players like Gabby and Bent though, no matter what kind of bids came in for them.  Lerner got us into this mess so he can fund our way out of it.

Not sure the board are capable of finding the right man though.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
Under the assumption that we would have been staying up, Brendan Rodgers was my preferred choice for manager. Now that assumption appears to be misplaced, we're obviously not going to be able to get a proven manager who is on the way up. I think we would need someone who is Villa through and through...Martin Laursen comes to mind. I would have said Dean Saunders but the last manager we got who had been relegated didn't work out too well for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal