collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We're by far the greatest team the world have ever seen  (Read 15322 times)

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: We're by far the greatest team the world have ever seen
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
"Legion" or "Lee" or whatever pseudonym under which he wishes to lurk,

Whats with the having a pop at peoples nicknames ? As you seem to want to be deliberately provocative perhaps changing the E to a K at the end of your name would be apt?
And no I dont mean the lanky git who played for Leeds which was Allan.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »
Have a listen to the Holte End here

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Team isnt supposed to rhyme with seen anyway.
There are 4 lines and lines 2 and 4 should naturally rhyme.
Therefore, F.C and seen are the only words needed to rhyme and they do.

Team is at best unecessary.
Indeed, we are the greatest anything anyone has ever seen.  Anyone saying any different can fuck off.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
In the original song, we didn't sing 'team', it was just 'we're by far the greatest, the world's ever seen

and it was a much better version, in my opinion - still heard on the Holte up to the the mid-80s

scans much better and is more faithful to the Wild Rover original.

Not least as other teams' fans tended to include "team"

Offline danlanza

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
Team isnt supposed to rhyme with seen anyway.
There are 4 lines and lines 2 and 4 should naturally rhyme.
Therefore, F.C and seen are the only words needed to rhyme and they do.

Team is at best unecessary.
Indeed, we are the greatest anything anyone has ever seen.  Anyone saying any different can fuck off.
Absofuckinlutely Fergal!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
I've just come back from a fairish absence to this forum to see what the Villa supporters are saying, either in constructive criticism of this once-great Club or in the desperate pathetic "We are the Greatest" crap that the unthinking always drone when the pendulum has swung in a, to them, adverse direction. "Legion" or "Lee" or whatever pseudonym under which he wishes to lurk, always, I recall, comes out with this sort of junk at the slightest opportunity. And here it is again.

If you'd bothered to log on before today, you might understand the context in which this thread was posted. Amidst all the whinging and moaning (some of it justified), this thread is a reminder of why we all still bother. Wind your neck in.

(Just to show that I really do understand the quotes thing):

Surely, even obsessives such as yourself, must admit that " by far the greatest team the world have ever seen" is just a mite excessive?

When you support a team it is traditional to claim that they are the greatest isn't it? 

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
I've thought about this many times and i actually think Aston Villa FC are the greatest team the world has ever seen... maybe not 'by far' - but by some way

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 01:06:17 PM »
I've thought about this many times and i actually think Aston Villa FC are the greatest team the world has ever seen... maybe not 'by far' - but by some way
Is the right answer

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
In this thread, "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" in April of last year, I was guilty of posting the most unnecessarily offensive, crass contributions that that have been my shame to have just re-read. Amongst other things, I insulted some of the most respected senior members of this fraternity. They, quite rightly asked that I be barred from the site and, of course, from making further contributions .

I have nothing to say in mitigation, but I am grateful for this opportunity (a) to apologise to those I insulted - I am most sincerely sorry, and (b) to express my gratitude at being permitted to once more enjoy the correspondence contained in these pages. I hope that it goes without saying that in future I shall be exemplary in my observation of the site rules.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »
Respect.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
In this thread, "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" in April of last year, I was guilty of posting the most unnecessarily offensive, crass contributions that that have been my shame to have just re-read. Amongst other things, I insulted some of the most respected senior members of this fraternity. They, quite rightly asked that I be barred from the site and, of course, from making further contributions .

I have nothing to say in mitigation, but I am grateful for this opportunity (a) to apologise to those I insulted - I am most sincerely sorry, and (b) to express my gratitude at being permitted to once more enjoy the correspondence contained in these pages. I hope that it goes without saying that in future I shall be exemplary in my observation of the site rules.

Thank you, Alan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal