collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:54:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 09:51:04 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by LeeB
[Today at 09:50:04 AM]

Re: FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we been in denial?  (Read 32849 times)

Offline Irish villain

Re: Have we been in denial?
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
In that August thread, I said 7th to 12th was our lot. After a few games I remember saying somewhere else that we'd be competing top be the best of the rest, i.e 7th or 8th. Look at how average the mid-table clubs are? Yet, look how far below them we are. Shocking stuff. McLeish has not got the best out of his squad this season.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
How many players do we have in the squad that would be looked on as quality? If you say we have a better squad than others around us then, apart from Wolves i would say thats wrong. This is part of the in denial believing Villa players to be better than those of  clubs around us. All of our back line have been have been rubbished all season by posters, the midfield has been woefull, not a standout player there in fact we are really missing Petrov even though his legs would only carry him for half a game, then the forward line, the most promising thing we have going there is a young kid who looks as if he could be really good given time. So where are these players that make our team better then the opposition? i can see all of them as a chance to win games as QPR did against Spurs but the only chance we have is against Bolton.

Can you honestly say Norwich and Swansea have stronger squads than us? Ours is at least as good as Sunderland and West Brom and they look set for top half places.

As has been mentioned, the one area you'd expect McLeish to have improved us is in defence. Our ineptitude at set-pieces is inexcusable for someone with his reputation in building defences tighter than nuns' vaginas.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »
Watched Swansea a lot this season and have been impressed how their players can play simple balls along the ground and to each other, something Villa players have failed to master.

Offline James

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
Failed to master, or simply been discouraged from doing? Thinking about that recent interview with Hleb, quite probably the latter!

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »
Personnel wise, we have a better starting XI (and squad) than Nowrich, Olbiyun, Slumberland, Swansea, Stoke and co.  I don't think the likes of Everton and Fulham are (or should be) drastically superior to us either. 

Newcastle have better midfielders than us, and two inform forwards.  But their goals against figure is far better than ours also - and I don't think their defence man for man is better than ours (I accept that there is more to defending well than just having a decent keeper and backline).

So all the signs point to McPish underperforming and not getting the best out of the tools at his disposal unfortunately. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal