collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we been in denial?  (Read 32848 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Have we been in denial?
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Reading all the McLeish out posts i got to wondering whether we should all take a reality check. I was in favour of what GH was trying to do, he had a lot of problems to contend with for sure but it was only in the last few games that we managed to claw a respectable mid table finish. We all new then that the team badly needed strengthening but instead of that we sold our best two players (okay Downing was chicken livered but he would be a walk up start in the present side). Most of the creativity disappeared from the team and apart from NZog who cannot be classed as creative no-one of any worth has come in. This isn't a defence of AM, but should we be suprised, considering the players he has to work with, that we find ourselves in danger of relegation. We can critisise AM's defensive boring tactics but what if he believes that  is the only way to survive the season and that  we just don't have the quality to play any other way? We were a poor side last season and Randy's cutbacks no matter how justified have left us with a team fit for the championship.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Have we been in denial?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »
I don't think his squad is the 15th worst in the PL. Stats show that his tactics are wrong.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Which is exactly why a more progressive managerial selection should have been made after GHou's illness.
If we're going to sell our two most creative players, then at least bring in a manager who can find 'diamonds in the rough' and develop youngsters.
We didn't.

No joined-up, logical thinking by RL et al.

Offline arnie66

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
I tend to agree Robbo

There's no doubt that the product at Villa Park this season has been very poor......its only the incredible brand loyalty that football creates that has made me continually turn up this season knowing that at best I would be watching a dour unimaginative uncreative team struggle to avoid defeat.

Perhaps the point we might be forgetting is that the managers brief all season was not to entertain but to drastically cut the wage bill whilst keeping us in the league - (there's every possibility he might well fail).....and he was given this brief by the chairman.

My point here being that it is the chairman we should really be protesting against......with regard to McCleish I think it has turned out exactly how we expected it to.

Offline Shoody

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:53:25 AM »
No its no surprise that we faced relegation. I just dont understand how the boards manager search went from

Martinez: Young, promising, attacking minded manager to

McLeish: The opposite.

Honestly believe had the board kept to the Martinez criteria and had approached Lambert, Adkins, Poyet, Rodgers instead we would be midtable at the moment and wouldnt have Alan Hutton playing for us.

Offline levico

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
I think many fans are still in denial. They think we are going to stay up - given that we cannot win matches we have little chance. We need to brace ourselves, we're heading for the Championship where we belong.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
No.We are where we are due to Mcleish's negative tactics and failure to pick up wins when we were at full strength Ask any Blues supporter, they will all tell you they should have never gone down with the squad they had.
We are where we are due to Mcleish's cowardice despite losing Young and Downing, we had more than enough to consolidate a top half finish.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
No its no surprise that we faced relegation. I just dont understand how the boards manager search went from

Martinez: Young, promising, attacking minded manager to

McLeish: The opposite.

I think it's because they haven't a clue what they are doing and just panicked when Martinez knocked us back Well not even panicked to be honest I just think Randy couldnt be arsed to keep looking

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:06:43 AM »
I don't agree, Alex has spent about 17.5million on 3 players. 2 out the 3 have been shit and we are suffering because of it.

We never needed Hutton, we needed a midfielder.

McLeish is now using injuries as an excuse even though when we had a fully fit squad he was playing Heskey in midfield and Hutton in midfield.

Yes we need to bring our expectations down, but if McLeish had been Abit more positive in some of our 15 draws we would be a lot better off points wise.

I'd rather lose 10 games 3-2 and win 5 games 3-2 than play defensively and have 15 draws.
He has to be sacked if we have any hope.

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »
No WE are not in denial....................Lerner is !

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
I think many fans are still in denial. They think we are going to stay up - given that we cannot win matches we have little chance. We need to brace ourselves, we're heading for the Championship where we belong.

Why do I get the feeling that you'll be all over these boards screeching 'I told you so!' in the event that we do go down?

Villa belong in the championship do they?

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »
Stu. Dont have a hissy fit its his opinion and mine we have been sliding towards relegation for weeks. Its in the tital.. 'IN DENIAL'. Its not what we deserve as fans but we are the worst team in form apart from wolves.

Offline Simba

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »
We do not belong in the Championship.

This bloody manager and Grant do.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
The players he has to work with excuse is really getting on my nerves.

You don't have to look too far to see a club that basically sold nearly all of its players and yet the manager has not only got them playing better football but competing as well.

I look at our squad and their are good young players in it but it feels like their being suffocated by anti football. Yes their are a few that are probably not going to be as good as we thought, but I honestly believe that our squad with a decent manager can finish mid table.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
I think somebody should just start a thread called 'ASTON VILLA ARE SHIT!!!'. 90% of the posts on this forum could be lumped in there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal