collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul McGrath RTE1  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Irish villain

Paul McGrath RTE1
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
Paul McGrath is on the Late Late Show. Will let you guys know if he says anything about the villa.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Paul McGrath RTE1
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »
Yeah, just watched it. Interesting that it was a pre-record, possibly because he didn't want to chat about intimate details of his life in front of a studio audience.

Looking well, sounded nervous as you'd expect but genuine and humble to a fault. A general chat show like the Late Late is only ever going to talk about his association with ManUre and his Irish career but Paul did mention how Southgate, Ehiogu and Teale in particular would cover for him if he'd been out the previous night. He was asked whether he had ever played while drunk, he admitted he had and rather charmingly to the question ''Were you ever man of the match while drunk?'' he replied ''I'm afraid I was.'' He also spoke briefly about letting Graham Taylor down on one ocassion and feeling bad about it.

Basically a lot of the stuff from his book was discussed. More recent news is that he's sober 18 months...I thought it was longer than that but he said he still has relapses so I guess it's hard to give an accurate time in such a situation. He became a Grandfather a year and a half ago and that obviously means a lot to him and he does some great work with a couple of different charities. Keeping occupied is, you'd imagine, quite crucial to his well being. I thought he might have been asked about his music career, unfortunately not! Check the rte player from tomorrow and it should be up there.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:15:17 AM »
He was asked about his music career the other day and said it was over.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:13 AM »
Yeah, just watched it. Interesting that it was a pre-record, possibly because he didn't want to chat about intimate details of his life in front of a studio audience.

Looking well, sounded nervous as you'd expect but genuine and humble to a fault. A general chat show like the Late Late is only ever going to talk about his association with ManUre and his Irish career but Paul did mention how Southgate, Ehiogu and Teale in particular would cover for him if he'd been out the previous night. He was asked whether he had ever played while drunk, he admitted he had and rather charmingly to the question ''Were you ever man of the match while drunk?'' he replied ''I'm afraid I was.'' He also spoke briefly about letting Graham Taylor down on one ocassion and feeling bad about it.

Basically a lot of the stuff from his book was discussed. More recent news is that he's sober 18 months...I thought it was longer than that but he said he still has relapses so I guess it's hard to give an accurate time in such a situation. He became a Grandfather a year and a half ago and that obviously means a lot to him and he does some great work with a couple of different charities. Keeping occupied is, you'd imagine, quite crucial to his well being. I thought he might have been asked about his music career, unfortunately not! Check the rte player from tomorrow and it should be up there.

Yep, there were no questions asked about Paul's move to Villa or his Villa career which I found a little disappointing (not surprising though as the Irish media are only really interested in Man Utd/Liverpool/top four). Fair play to Paul, though, for bringing Villa into the discussion.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
I've noticed (on Twitter) that McGrath's son is a big Villa fan. 

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
Good to hear the great man is doing well.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
The host (Ryan Tubridy) didn't really cover himself in glory. He has a habit of not really coaxing people out of themselves and to me didn't seem at all informed.

Always good to see the great man on tv though especially looking so fit and healthy.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
I'm really conflicted about him doing interviews and the like. It's obvious he doesn't like the attention (and has said as much in the past if I remember rightly). Now I can't claim to understand what triggers his alcoholism, but I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing didn't help.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »

Here it is.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Thanks mate :-)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »

he's idolised at Villa, the best we have had for 20 years or more, where as at Man Utd he would hardly get  a mention with the likes of Cantona, Scholes, Ronanldo, Robson etc

so if i was his Son i know who i'd be following,
we sing a song about him as well you know   :)

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
Thanks for the link gervilla.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »

Is that the lad who was on the books at Liverpool? 

Offline cdward

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
Tubridy obviously knows nothing about football.  There was nothing from that interview that hasn't been covered in his book.
Was McGrath serious when he said he was a Chelsea fan, or was he just saying it because he doesn't want Liverpool to win the FA cup.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
Top man, thanks for posting

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal