collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham has his say  (Read 22871 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Sir Graham has his say
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Again the same twaddle about him being ex Blues being the reason why we don't like him. Perhaps it's just us?
Of the many Villa supporters that I talk to in the real world, I have never heard ONE deride him for his Dog Shit connections.
To a man they've all complained about his poor brand of football and all round sub standard management.

Despite what the media say, he's had an amazingly easy ride at Villa Park.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
to be fair to Taylor, he never ever slags off managers. Listen to him doing his punditry and he is always very diplomatic when it comes to discussing other managers

Maybe because he was treated so absolutely shitly ( a proper word?) when he was the England manager that he knows what it feels like to have the world against you and he refuses to add to the pressure that other managers may be under.

I'd like to think that he's far too decent a man to join in when someone's taking a kicking.

This doesnt alter my views on McCleish, by the way, it just reinforces my opinion of Tayor

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
I also think he's being unfair on N'Zogbia.  He stated his best position was wide left and he hasn't looked too bad in that position on the occasions he's been allowed to play there.  Great goal against QPR, and a good set-up of Keane's goal at Newcastle, I think he was just coming into a bit of form when he got crocked.  I think he's been at at least as good as Downing was in his first season with us, and I'd say better than Downing's first season at 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'.

I can't argue with the rest of what SGT says although I still have doubts about the McLaren U-turn.

Offline Chrisupnorth

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
Again the same twaddle about him being ex Blues being the reason why we don't like him. Perhaps it's just us?

Completely agree TS.  Forgetting McLeish's tactical deficiencies for a moment (and there are many of those); the question I've never heard a satisfactory response to is why Randy made an appointment that was always going to be divisive, at a time when the club desperately needed everybody to get behind the new manager.  You didn't have to be Mystic Meg to know how this was going to turn out.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »
No mention of the fact that McCleish is clearly not up to the task. Doesn't he pick the players? Doesn't he appoint the coaches to work with the team on the training ground? Does he not decide the team formation and tactics? Is he not responsible for putting the fire in the belly of the players?

Sorry Sir Graham, heard it all from a hundred other pundits already.

That said, would you be interested in a five match contract?

how realistic is that? Do you expect a man as dignified as GT to go to the press saying 'McLeish is shit'? If you read between the lines of what he actually said, he's more or less saying Mcleish is sending the villa out to 'not lose'. Read what he does say! 'It's better to lose having tried to win'. If that's not a dig at the manager's tactics, and their suitability for a club the size of villa, I don't know what is.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »
well said graham, I liked this bit

"If you are preparing your side not to lose - and I'm sure Alex would disagree, but that's how it looks - then, if you don't win that game, you come in for a great deal of criticism and that's what's been happening at Villa."

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »

The thing is, even before he was appointed there was a demonstration at Villa Park with dickheads climbing the railings and chanting anti-Blues songs, and no matter what we say on here you can scan the Villa interweb and see many 'Bluenose' references to McLeish, so it's not hard to see that pundits who don't regularly sit amongst the crowd or post on H&V will still think that part of the McLeish problem is that he came from "them".
Annoying? Yes.
Understandable given the behaviour of some of our more vocal minority? Also yes.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
Classic mentality of football closing ranks around football, the arrogant "Football knows best" mentality, the notion that there is some kind of other dimension that says if you are a football manager you simply can't get it wrong, it has to be the players, I played for years and my impression of players is that they are like sponges, if your a good man manager and able to get your message across, then any players will absorb what you are telling them and carry that out on the field of play, football is that simple.

Said it before I guarantee there are blokes running small firms up and down the country right this second who, because survival depends on it, have to be excellent man managers and excellent business strategists these fella's with a crash course in basic football and team building knowledge could step into the boots of the very best managers out that and do a better job, Jose Mourinho is a classic example of how psychology and man management is just as, or more important than previously being player, whereas Alex McLeish is proof perfect as to how you can have played the game but know nothing about motivating men.

Taylor IMO is wrong on this.   

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
SGT seems a decent bloke and i'm sure he means what he says but AM took the job knowing the restrictions and on a hefty salary. No sympathy.

Offline Richie

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
What concerns me the most at this particular stage of the season, is the bit about the "McLeish Out" flyers that are supposed to be handed out tomorrow.

Tomorrow we need to get behind the team and I can't see that helping the cause whatsoever.

Assuming we stay up, show your feelings after the walk of shame after the last match against Spurs - not tomorrow.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »
The 67-year-old, who led Villa to second place in 1990 before becoming England manager, explained: "I just think it's better to lose a game by trying to win it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but it's better for the supporters, spectators and the game as a whole.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
The 67-year-old, who led Villa to second place in 1990 before becoming England manager, explained: "I just think it's better to lose a game by trying to win it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but it's better for the supporters, spectators and the game as a whole.

That is the implied criticism, which is as far as close as anyone in the little cliquey network of football managers and ex-managers has come to criticising McLeish openly (much as I love SGT, hes definitely in that old-boys' network).

However, it does really annoy me that he plays up the Blues angle like everyone else. It's just not fecking true, and I think we've all had about enough of it from the 'neutral' pundits who either don't like us or don't care, without someone as revered as SGT joining in as well. Disappointing.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
What concerns me the most at this particular stage of the season, is the bit about the "McLeish Out" flyers that are supposed to be handed out tomorrow.

Tomorrow we need to get behind the team and I can't see that helping the cause whatsoever.

Assuming we stay up, show your feelings after the walk of shame after the last match against Spurs - not tomorrow.

This is my view too. How about a  protest similar to that Boro fan with Mclaren a few years back ? Of course these days it's season cards rather than season books so I've been out in the garden and tried it with mine. You can actually get a good velocity and distance with them (the secrets in the wrist action). Direction is more difficult once they have travelled a few yards and you may miss Mcleish completely as it veers off course. But not to worry, its Spurz so you might get `Arry instead.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
Hmmm, chucking your season ticket card at the manager after the last game of the season probably won't have the desired symbolic effect.

I'd prefer some sort of dirty protest

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »

That is the implied criticism, which is as far as close as anyone in the little cliquey network of football managers and ex-managers has come to criticising McLeish openly (much as I love SGT, hes definitely in that old-boys' network).

However, it does really annoy me that he plays up the Blues angle like everyone else. It's just not fecking true,

The sad thing is though, it is true. Even if he'd kept Blues up last year, i still think there would have been hostility towards his appointment.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:44:25 PM by Clampy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal