collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 26, 2024, 11:05:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Letter to Paul - From a mate of mine  (Read 32971 times)

Offline Cuz

Letter to Paul - From a mate of mine
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »
Paul,
As our web site proudly boasts we are the 5th most decorated club in English football history but as with any big statement it is always best to read the small print, we have won nothing since 1996 (I am and rightly so discounting the intertoto cup)
At best now the villa compete on the pitch and in the transfer market with the stoke's, west brom's and fulham's of this world and without wanting to disparage these teams is this really how it should be?
I want to ask what has happened to the villa? Attendances down, a direct reflection of results but more accurately a statement from the fans regarding the poor state of our football. I was at the UTD game on Sunday and a more embarrassing display I have not seen; boys against men is perhaps an over used analogy but on this occasion it was evident that the side fortunate enough to wear the lion on Sunday would not have beaten a UTD second team. I am at a loss to understand the recruitment of Mr Mcleish and after the initial disbelief I hoped that perhaps I would be proven wrong, I wasn't and   It is increasingly apparent that his unattractive style of play is not conducive to our club. I recognise we have an injury list but I also recognise that we should not be struggling for survival as a result, we are Aston Villa the 5th most decorated club in English football history!
A villa fan for 42 years I need to hear a positive response please Paul, with a plan for new dynamic management and sensible investment that in turn could emulate our peers at the top of the league instead of us being discussed in the same breath as those in a relegation battle.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline j66acd

Re: Letter to Paul - From a mate of mine
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
Good letter but I'd be surprised if he heard back.

Offline Cuz

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
I'll let you know, but he like me well fooked off

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
If people must write a letter to the club, why can't they at least get somebody who can spell and is on first name terms with Mr Grammar to give it a once over?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
If people must write a letter to the club, why can't they at least get somebody who can spell and is on first name terms with Mr Grammar to give it a once over?

You beat me to it. 

If the content didn't make Faulkner throw it straight in the bin, the haphazard grammar and general feel of it being written by a 12 year old will.

Offline James

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
I'm all for good grammar, but don't put the guy down for it. Sometimes the content, the emotion, are more important than those rules and conveying that, in whatever way one can, is the real nub of things.

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:55:11 PM »
Well the contents nearly as bad as the grammar, if the guy is 42 you think he would remember the really bad times and have a little bit more perspective.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
I bet Faulkner wouldn't chuck a badly spelt letter in the bin if it included a season ticket renewal application.

Although I'd like to think he wouldn't be as much of a snob as some people on here

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »
I'm all for good grammar, but don't put the guy down for it. Sometimes the content, the emotion, are more important than those rules and conveying that, in whatever way one can, is the real nub of things.

True enough but, like it or not, in a business setting such basic errors in English give the impression that the writer doesn't have a clue and therefore immediately takes away a lot of the impact of the letter.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
As I've said on another thread, for letter writing to be effective it needs to be unemotional and concise.  Just point out facts as we know them (reduced crowds, poor home form) and then point out statements made earlier in the season regarding europe.

Even better, 1 person write a letter, have it fully proof-read and factually checked and, once it's agreed by the fans, get everyone who wants to send it to just chnge the name and sign it.

A consistent message from numerous people will hopefully be more effective.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »
Reply from Paul:-

Dear mate of Cuz,

What are you writing to me for - I'm a magician!

Regards,
P. Daniels

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »
I bet Faulkner wouldn't chuck a badly spelt letter in the bin if it included a season ticket renewal application.

Although I'd like to think he wouldn't be as much of a snob as some people on here

It's nothing to do with snobbery.  You can't expect to be taken seriously if your letter marks you out as being a bit thick.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »

Absolutely.

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »

True enough but, like it or not, in a business setting such basic errors in English give the impression that the writer doesn't have a clue and therefore immediately takes away a lot of the impact of the letter.

I do take your point and you're right, but he's not a business is he? Anyway, I've no wish to fall out with anyone, but 'cutting a little slack' to people when passions are running high is not a bad thing to do. The alternative just smacks of 'superiority' and is unnecessary in most contexts, certainly in this one. That's just my opinion, I'm not picking a fight.

Offline chazvilla

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »
I sent an email to him on Monady as well, which is below. Had a voicemail yesterday from Nicky Keye asking me to call her.  She's been on answerphone the times i've tried her since.

Good Afternoon Mr Faulkner.
Thank you for the Sunderland ticket email this afternoon, I was almost tempted.
But then it all hit me.
£ 35 for a Holte End Upper, K6 ticket.
£ 35 Virgin train return ticket from London.
£ 3 programme
£ 20+ Beer money (  the ONLY highlight of any Aston Villa football match)
So all in all, roughly £ 100. 
Would you say it was worth it for me?  HONESTLY.
Football is an entertainment industry…. And watching Aston Villa is the most boring thing going right now.   I mean I love Aston Villa…  but what you have made happen isn’t the Aston Villa I know and love.  It’s like Birmingham City have stolen our beautiful Claret and Blue.
How did yourself & Randy Lerner come to the conclusion that Alex McLeish was the right man for Villa?   He has always played a mind numbingly boring style of Football.  A style of football that hasn’t even been succesful… I mean 2 relegations in 3 years!!! 
Aston Villa have always had a style about them. Yes we have been pretty awful on numerous occasions, but at least we’ve given it a go.  The amount of times McLeish has waved the white flag before the game had started is disgraceful.  Yes we have a young team at the moment, but he was doing it when we had a fully fit squad.  I mean Darren Bent more often than not was as isolated as a prisoner in solitary confinement!
I just pray this Clown doesn’t send us down.  We will survive I think , just.  And that is only because the teams below us are so bad it’s untrue.     
You have both let this great club down massively.  But mistakes do happen.  The key is learning from them.  The man MUST go as soon as we are mathmatically safe.
I promise you now though, you are not getting another penny from me until something is done.  The same goes for an awful lot of people like me as well.
I would welcome a call from yourself or Nicola Keye if you find the time whilst writing up the mans P 45.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal