collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The future of Paul Faulkner?  (Read 9154 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
The future of Paul Faulkner?
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
The manager is obviously copping for a fair amount of stick in various threads, as is Randy Lerner.  But what of our flame-haired Chief Executive?  It seems from the outside that he is there to run the company on Lerner's behalf, so how culpable is he for this absolutely dismal season?  In his interview earlier in the season, he said that Villa should still be targetting Europe, and so as CEO, he has presided over a season of failure, following on from last season when the rot set in.

In his defence, the last accounts show a small increase in commercial income of about £2m, but other than that, can anybody point to a reason other than being Lerner's friend that means he should keep his job after presiding over such a terrible period?  He certainly doesn't seem very well qualified for such  a high profile position.

(Apologies if there's an existing Paul Faulkner thread that I could have posted this in.)

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: The future of Paul Faulkner?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
Seriously, I'd love to see his employment contract - the paragraph tilted 'Duties'.

If he has one.

Peter Kenyon he is not.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
Doesn't "flame haired" mean "ginger haired"? He's more blond isn't he?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »
I think he is more responsible than Lerner, who for me is simply misguided in whom he places trust.

He did not control spending under MON, and has made the worst managerial appointment in our history, coupled with being CEO when we are likely to win the fewest number of games at VP in living memory. He and Eck are sharing about 70% of the blame for me, with O'Neill about 15% and Randy 15%.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
Isn't this the point where someone comes along and says "Paul Faulkner - when another McLeish thread just won't do"

Wink?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »

I'd say a definite ginger:

Warning, brings back bad memories

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51:19 PM »
Isn't this the point where someone comes along and says "Paul Faulkner - when another McLeish thread just won't do"

Wink?

I would have gone with:-

Paul Faulkner - when another Randy Lerner thread just won't do.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

I'd say a definite ginger:

Warning, brings back bad memories

I'd actually say neither of them are ginger, to be honest.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
He did not control spending under MON

He wasn't CEO then though was he?

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
the CEO is as much to blame as anyone, his head is on the block, if he get's away with this then it is a scandal. Many other CEO's in other businesses have seen their heads role for less.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
As a businessman he's done a decent job in growing the commercial sector. As a football man he ain't got a clue and he and clearly the club would benefit from someone like Steve Stride alongside. That's what they should have done and if we stay up, that should be action number two once McLeish is shown the door.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
My missus tells me that the correct term is "strawberry blonde"

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
In my opinion, Bradley Branning is just Lerner's yes man dutifully performing his masters duties and goals. Do you really think Lerner would trust Faulkner to mount a manager hunt? Would any chairman worth his salt do that? I think it is Lerner who guides the grander policy of the club and Faulkner puts it in action. I think he is an easy target.

However, I agree that he may not be the right man for the CEO's job. He has done well in improving commercial revenue and marketing which seem to be the skills he has had within his career. I think where he is lacking is his football knowledge. Maybe if we had a more knowledgeable  football person he'd be able to advise Randy on mistakes. Or maybe this is by design.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »
In his interview earlier in the season, he said that Villa should still be targetting Europe, and so as CEO, he has presided over a season of failure, following on from last season when the rot set in.
We've failed to get anywhere near Europe, so if that was Faulkner's target, we've failed miserably.
The fact that he seems to have sat on his hands regarding McAnalwart makes me wonder if it was all bluster and perhaps his only task was to ensure our survival for this season.

Either way he's been found wanting, although I do acknowledge the free pie and tea etc.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
Lets get that bloke from Wolves in. Jez Moxey.  I dont know the colour of his hair though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal