collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The legendary Peter Grant  (Read 9931 times)

Offline mr woo

Re: The legendary Peter Grant
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
Whilst the stats about Grant are there, you could also have since KMac and Sid have been first team coaches we have had poor play, and players not following instructions or revolting for two seasons.

Fair comment, however don't forget both Sid and KMc were promoted partly due to their track records with the youth and reserves. I.e they had earnt a crack at the next level only because they had done so well at a lesser one (although that's not to say they are cutting it this season, without knowing the structure and individual roles it's hard to call).

As for our Peter, I defy anybody to give one redeeming feature in the records going back SIX years reproduced in the first post.

Offline Cuz

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
How could a massive club like ours employ and pay a good wage to a man with that track record....... Shocking !!!!!!!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 10:08:28 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:20:23 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »
IN SUMMARY : Peter Grant is a total TWAT.  (You only have to sit behind the Dugout & watch him to know that.)

Interesting.  For the rest of us that do not sit behind the dugout can you expand on this?  What is it he does that makes him a “twat”.  For example how is his behaviour different to say Sid?  Can you actually hear what they’re saying/instructing?   

* I initially typed Doug Out!, it just feels so natural.

I sit behind the dugout.

Grant does a lot of pointing and shouting. The problem is that, most of the time, none of the players are looking at him.

When Grant starts pointing we now check to see whether anyone is paying attention. It really is rare for anyone to be doing so.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:45 AM »
Everytime he gets up there are calls, especially one voice from the crowd of "Sit down you twata - you dont know what your doing"

he must hear it everytime

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
I still remember the reserve game against The Dog Shit some years back, Rob Edwards made a defensive fuck up, but their striker blasted the chance over the bar.
KMAC shouted angrily towards him and Edwards shouted back.
'Well he didn't fucking score, did he? Prick!'

Made me realise how much respect most players have for their coaches.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
I still remember the reserve game against The Dog Shit some years back, Rob Edwards made a defensive fuck up, but their striker blasted the chance over the bar.
KMAC shouted angrily towards him and Edwards shouted back.
'Well he didn't fucking score, did he? Prick!'

Made me realise how much respect most players have for their coaches.
Nice.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
He's a fucking Jonah right enough.  And he's working his magic on us.  Get rid soon as.

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 10:20:33 PM »
Everytime he gets up there are calls, especially one voice from the crowd of "Sit down you twata - you dont know what your doing"

guilty, your honour...

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »
Can't be arsed typing this out again but I do think there is something in this. As I posted yesterday in the McLeish thread:

My theory is this. Up until the last two seasons he (McLeish) has always done a decent, if dull, job. Even when he managed third place at Rangers it wasn't entirely his fault as he was doing so in a context of a small budget and at a time Hearts were spending big.

Following that ninth place finish, McLeish brought in Peter 'Jonah' Grant as his assistant following the departure of Roy Aitken. Wherever he's been Grant has brought nothing but bad luck and underacheivement to clubs. Here, this is probably exacerbated by McLeish losing his long term sidekick Andy Watson and putting even more trust in Grant. McLeish has had two bad seasons which just so happen to coincide with his working with Grant. Grant was part of the disastorous Mowbray reign at Celtic, was assistant at relegated West Brom and had a poor time as manager of Norwich.

That said I think we'll have a thread blaming the tealady or the work experience boy next.

I've mentioned him before but I assumed he was coming here in the summer. I thought SHA blocked him but Chris Hughton has brought in his own staff like Calderwood and Paul Trollope.

Andy Watson is highly rated in the game so just wondered what happened to him. I was also hoping we'd get Dave Watson, their goalkeeping coach as he did very well with Joe Hart. Who knows, he may even have taught Given to come off his line.

At the end of it we pay SHA 2m in compensation and can't even get McLeish's best coaches to come with him.

Offline Cuz

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »

guilty, your honour...

Top work

Offline gervilla

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »

guilty, your honour...

Top work

Good work indeed. I'm sure everyone else is thinking it anyway...that includes the 11 on the pitch.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:09 PM »
Whilst the stats about Grant are there, you could also have since KMac and Sid have been first team coaches we have had poor play, and players not following instructions or revolting for two seasons.
Interesting post. If Kevin and Sid disagree with everything that McLeish suggests, but meekly go along with it, are they the men of character that we want in charge? I doubt if they disagree with anything that is going on, unless someone has heard some bullshit to the contrary. They are both solid parts of a management team that will have a few people eating their hats.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
Interesting post. If Kevin and Sid disagree with everything that McLeish suggests, but meekly go along with it, are they the men of character that we want in charge? I doubt if they disagree with anything that is going on, unless someone has heard some bullshit to the contrary. They are both solid parts of a management team that will have a few people eating their hats.

I have to say, throughout the really rough period for Houllier last season, it was interesting how nobody mentioned the bent-nosed, spindle legged legend sitting next to him.

Offline cdward

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »
 No one hypes up the coaches/assistants at Man u or Chelsea or any other successful team, and equally no one blames the coaches/assistants if a team is relegated. The buck stops with the manager, he is in charge, so if he can't see whether or not his coach is good or bad it is his call. As interesting as it is looking at the stats for Peter Grant, let's just get on with blaming the manager, the prick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal