collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The legendary Peter Grant  (Read 9914 times)

Offline mr woo

The legendary Peter Grant
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
I've not seen the stats of Peter Grants managerial record compiled in one place before but I've always had the impression it wasn't great. So because I'm bored I decided to have a delve...

I have omitted anything before 2006 as exact dates etc are too time consuming to research.

Oct 2006 - Oct 2007.   Norwich manager
W 18    D 12   L24.      Grant was sacked 10 games into new season while Nowich were in relegating zone.

Jul 08- Jun 09.  West Brom first team coach
W 8   D 8.  L 22.     WBA relegated in bottom place.

June 09 - Mar 10.  Celtic first team coach
W 17.  D 6.  L 7.         Mowbray and Grant sacked after losing 4-0 to the mighty St Mirren.

Jul 10 - Jul 11.   Noses first team coach
W 8.  D 15   L15.   Relegated in 18th place

To present at Villa.   W 7   D 14.  L 12

And maybe it's worth pointing out that AM's previous season at Blues with Roy Aitken they finished 9th with a record of W13.  D11.  L14.

Sorry if this turns out a bit messy - had to type it on a phone. Will tidy and edit later.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:32:30 PM by mr woo »

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: The legendary Peter Grant
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
Peter Grant.  When another McLeich thread just won't do.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
Can't be arsed typing this out again but I do think there is something in this. As I posted yesterday in the McLeish thread:

My theory is this. Up until the last two seasons he (McLeish) has always done a decent, if dull, job. Even when he managed third place at Rangers it wasn't entirely his fault as he was doing so in a context of a small budget and at a time Hearts were spending big.

Following that ninth place finish, McLeish brought in Peter 'Jonah' Grant as his assistant following the departure of Roy Aitken. Wherever he's been Grant has brought nothing but bad luck and underacheivement to clubs. Here, this is probably exacerbated by McLeish losing his long term sidekick Andy Watson and putting even more trust in Grant. McLeish has had two bad seasons which just so happen to coincide with his working with Grant. Grant was part of the disastorous Mowbray reign at Celtic, was assistant at relegated West Brom and had a poor time as manager of Norwich.

That said I think we'll have a thread blaming the tealady or the work experience boy next.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »
I think Blandy thought he was getting the ghost of Led Zeppelin's manager.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
I think it's a reasonable point to highlight,  maybe the coaching is as much to blame for our poor results and performances as the Manager.   We often debated whether the crap football palyed uder MON was more down to Rebertson and Walsh than pubehead himself. 

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
I've not seen the stats of Peter Grants managerial record compiled in one place before but I've always had the impression it wasn't great. So because I'm bored I decided to have a delve...

I have omitted anything before 2006 as exact dates etc are too time consuming to research.

Oct 2006 - Oct 2007.   Norwich manager
W 18    D 12   L24.      Grant was sacked 10 games into new season while Nowich were in relegating zone.

Jul 08- Jun 09.  West Brom first team coach
W 8   D 8.  L 22.     WBA relegated in bottom place.

June 09 - Mar 10.  Celtic first team coach
W 17.  D 6.  L 7.         Mowbray and Grant sacked after losing 4-0 to the mighty St Mirren.

Jul 10 - Jul 11.   Noses first team coach
W 8.  D 15   L15.   Relegated in 18th place

To present at Villa.   W 7   D 14.  L 12

And maybe it's worth pointing out that AM's previous season at Blues with Roy Aitken they finished 9th with a record of W13.  D11.  L14.

IN SUMMARY : Peter Grant is a total TWAT.  (You only have to sit behind the Dugout & watch him to know that.)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
I've always thought Peter Grant has had that hunted "I don't really know what I'm doing; do you think anyone has noticed yet? " look.
But, what role has KMac played in the coaching this season? Is he now "soiled goods"?

Just who is calling the shots in terms of tactics, playing style, etc? - I suppose McL is in overall terms but how much is influenced by those around him?

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
IN SUMMARY : Peter Grant is a total TWAT.  (You only have to sit behind the Dugout & watch him to know that.)

Interesting.  For the rest of us that do not sit behind the dugout can you expand on this?  What is it he does that makes him a “twat”.  For example how is his behaviour different to say Sid?  Can you actually hear what they’re saying/instructing?   

* I initially typed Doug Out!, it just feels so natural.

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
I've always thought Peter Grant has had that hunted "I don't really know what I'm doing; do you think anyone has noticed yet? " look.
But, what role has KMac played in the coaching this season? Is he now "soiled goods"?

Just who is calling the shots in terms of tactics, playing style, etc? - I suppose McL is in overall terms but how much is influenced by those around him?

If I was in charge, I'd sack AMcL with immediate effect (PG too) & put KMac in until Season's end.
Hid did OK (temporarily) before. And how many times have you seen a side perform for a 'new face' ?
(OK, he's not - but you get the drift...) The 'lads' would play better for him than those two cretins...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:23:40 PM by Dr.Feelgood »

Offline Dr.Feelgood

• 45 Years a Villa Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »

Interesting.  For the rest of us that do not sit behind the dugout can you expand on this?  What is it he does that makes him a “twat”.  For example how is his behaviour different to say Sid?  Can you actually hear what they’re saying/instructing?   

He barks orders (especially at the younger players) WAY too much. I'm not for a lack of animated enthusiasm / giudance / encouragement ( as per O'Dreary / Houllier) but IF they have been 'instructed / coached' PROPERLY
in the week - PROFESSIONAL footballers should NOT need to be issued constant instruction. The odd 'tweak' for
sure (in reply to opposition) but this guy is INEPT. Several times we have seen Bannan get a bollocking (for no
good reason) & he just switches off. The players clearly have little respect / regard for PG & he's counterproductive.
(In my opinion - and I am not alone).  And WHY NOT a man (Gabby ?) on the half way line when there's a corner ??
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:33:40 PM by Dr.Feelgood »

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »

He barks orders (especially at the younger players) WAY too much. I'm not for a lack of animated enthusiasm / giudance / encouragement ( as per O'Dreary / Houllier) but IF they have been 'instructed / coached' PROPERLY
in the week - PROFESSIONAL footballers should NOT need to be issued constant instruction. The odd 'tweak' for
sure (in reply to opposition) but this guy is INEPT. Several times we have seen Bannan get a bollocking (for no
good reason) & he just switches off. The players clearly have little respect / regard for PG & he's counterproductive.
(In my opinion - and I am not alone).  And WHY NOT a man (Gabby ?) on the half way line when there's a corner ??

Thank you for the reply Dr Feelgood.
I have read elsewhere that there have been occasions where the players have completely ignored instructions from the bench.  This probably adds a bit of fuel to the fire.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
I read on other sites that the Grants orders on the touchline are too much.What you sa about Bannan doesn't surprise me he looks half the player he did last season.

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
I read on other sites that the Grants orders on the touchline are too much.What you sa about Bannan doesn't surprise me he looks half the player he did last season.

It’s time for Bannan to shit of get off the toilet (this is aimed at Mcleish, not bannan). 
He either needs to be played centrally or not at all.  It’s unfair on him and is probably destroying his confidence asking him to play as a wide man.

I’ve said it before but I think he should be our deep lying playmaker, maybe along side Herd.  I admit he is lightweight but defence is as much about positioning as it is physical strength, besides I think Herd throws himself about enough to compliment Bannan.  With Bannan in this position hopefully we’d control the ball better.

Apologies, just realised this is completely off topic.  Ignore me, I’ve typed it now.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
Whilst the stats about Grant are there, you could also have since KMac and Sid have been first team coaches we have had poor play, and players not following instructions or revolting for two seasons.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »
McLeish and Grant remind me of these pair:

&feature=relmfu

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal