collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we got the best youngsters in the League?  (Read 22964 times)

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
Re: Have we got the best youngsters in the League?
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
37 pages, 3 until we get into a huge argument about Delfouneso, 5 until the subject of Bannan comes up and who knows how many until we get onto my favourite subject which is we produce loads of ok youngsters along the lines of Byfield, Lee, Carruthers (Martin), Kerr, Olney, the Moores x 2 et all but very few top notch ones

Oh and Bradley, been trying to remember his name for the last few minutes. He was another destined to be a world beater!
Dont forget Jimmy Brown our youngest ever captain.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »
Bannan. Toss. Sell.

Offline eastie

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
Clark , gardner , herd yes.
Baker , lichaj, carruthers   Weimann, maybe
Bannan , albrighton no.

Offline villasjf

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
I think its a good thing about the younger players coming though into the first team. Doing well by winning the reserve league year on year and that Euro league we were in this year. This will attract more youngsters to the club knowing that they will get a chance. The reserve league after next year will be an under 23 league they are just trying to sort the rules on the amount of over 23 to allow to play re those coming back from injury etc.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:49 AM »
I think its a good thing about the younger players coming though into the first team. Doing well by winning the reserve league year on year and that Euro league we were in this year. This will attract more youngsters to the club knowing that they will get a chance. The reserve league after next year will be an under 23 league they are just trying to sort the rules on the amount of over 23 to allow to play re those coming back from injury etc.

But the majority of under 23 players for the likes of Arsenal/Man U are out on loan playing first team football at either PL or Championship level, not messing around playing against young kids.  I think we have done our youngsters a great disfavour in the past by not sending them out to lower placed clubs for them to get experience and see the other side of the coin.  Instead we have allowed ourselves to believe we are bringing brilliant youngsters through as they are winning the reserve league but how many have actually cemented a regular first team spot at VP over the last 5/6 years?

Offline villasjf

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »
BB, The Fonz. Andreas, Gardner, Delph, Lichaj have been out on loan and last year Hogg and Lowry went out on loan and were later sold to those clubs. I think that lots more loan deals would have been done but we needed them more as back up/first teamers.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
Some good points on here regarding how you assess these players; in their reserve league or their performance in first team football. Also whether they would have done better by being loaned out. The latter would tend to split the Academy concept up a bit though.

The Play-Off Final at Old Trafford will be interesting. It is probably the biggest game that some of them will ever play in and is the culmination of much hard work and dedication by the players and their coaches. Congratulations and best of luck to all involved.

I think that those who have made it to the first team on a regular basis should now be rated on that alone. No turning back for players like Gardner now.  Obviously those with more experience, such as Albrighton, should not get as much rope as those like Gardner. These players must realise that it is Do or Die.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
BB, The Fonz. Andreas, Gardner, Delph, Lichaj have been out on loan and last year Hogg and Lowry went out on loan and were later sold to those clubs. I think that lots more loan deals would have been done but we needed them more as back up/first teamers.

We do send players out on loan but it’s usually for a few sporadic months, whereas Man U and Arsenal send players away for an entire season arguably when they’d be viable reserves/subs for their 1st XIs.  Good recent examples are Wellbeck and Wilshire.

Once they come back they’re arguably ready for the first team having played 30 odd games already.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »
I don't particularly like rounding on youngsters, but Albrighton has been truly awful this season and shouldn't be anywhere near a starting place.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
Albrighton is a prime example of a youngster following Managers instructions, to the detriment of his own game, also of not being taken out of the spotlight when he should have been.
Carruthers, brought on at the Theatre of Shite when all was lost and not seen since, even when the player playing M.A is having a mare?????

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Every few weeks this player or that player is going to be a world beater. I don't see it happening, there all built up too much.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
The lack of any proper leader on the pitch is also a terrible situation to throw young players into.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
Last season, Albrighton had Ashley Young and Downing as support and he probably spoke to them regarding help and support.  This season, he really doesnt have anyone.  I mean Nzog has been nothing but useless this season so he would hardly spek to him for advise or support.  MA needs some more time and needs a better coach to help him.  I still believe in him, Herd, Gards, Bannan, Lichaj, Baker and Weimann to all come good.  They are in a crap situation at the moment.  Put them with a few experienced heads and they will learn off them.  To lose faith in any of them at this stage is criminal and we should be backing them 100% through the tough times

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
Assuming we got a new manager and an experienced head or two over the summer, would a season in the championship be good for the kids?

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »
Assuming we got a new manager and an experienced head or two over the summer, would a season in the championship be good for the kids?
Might be good for them but could ruin the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal