collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:08:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:05:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Richard
[Today at 02:03:24 PM]

[Today at 02:01:53 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by CT Villan
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:59:06 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:58:24 PM]

[Today at 01:56:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we got the best youngsters in the League?  (Read 22960 times)

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
Re: Have we got the best youngsters in the League?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
No probs Richard. I was trying to look on the bright side of life.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »
We have an exceptional bunch of youngsters, definitely. Probably not the best in the league (Arsenal, always, the best youth training with the pick of the world's top youngsters, and a manager who will always use them), but really good ones. Sadly, for some of the current crop - Delfouneso, Albrighton, even Bannan - I suspect we'll not see how good they could be had they been trained better and trusted more, at least until they move elsewhere. Hopefully for some of the younger ones - Carruthers, Johnson, Gardner (who looks every inch a future Villa captain) - we'll have a different manager and even ownership in place before it's too late for them to really learn.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »
I honestly think that our youngsters can be the spine of our team

Clark and Baker look talented centre halfs.

Lichaj I think far better right back than hutton

Gardner has plenty of ablity
Albrighton can cross a ball , but needs a run in the team
Herd looked really impressive
Delph could play wide left if he sorts his head out.
Bannan play behind Weinmann in the ireland role
Weinmann looks very talented

The Fonz wont make it but I like bits of Carruthers we have seen.

A decent manager adding some experience and we could have a really exciting future. But Mccunt will fuck it up

I give sack him tomorrow and give it Mac till end of season

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
but I like bits of Carruthers
Ohh, cheeky.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »
We do have a lot of talented youngsters in our team and hopefully with some decent new arrivals in the summer and a bit of organisation next season might be something to look forward too.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
If the next manager is willing to work with them, it's possible we could have a really good side within the next couple of years.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

Just based on my eyes and without looking at any stats, I think that Marc's crossing is the worst part of his game which is a bit of a problem for a winger.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 07:23:54 PM »
I think we've got about the 2nd best crop too. Not sure about Fonz, and Albrighton and Bannan while having something about them have stalled a bit, but the younger lot all have potential.  If they keep improving they could be the backbone of a decent premier league team.  But realistically this is a few years away however fast and well they develop, so we need to add a couple of new faces in the meantime and not over play them or rely on them too much next year.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »
We have a fantastic bunch of young players.Get us a quality manager and the good times will be back at Villa.What about Benitez or Ole Gunner cant spell the rest of his name!but you know who i mean.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »

Just based on my eyes and without looking at any stats, I think that Marc's crossing is the worst part of his game which is a bit of a problem for a winger.

He can cross it when he gets to the byline, but he never gets there any more as he plays on the wrong side and too deep, both dictated by MCSheesh's narrow and deep modus operandi. Heels in the chalk? Get tae fuck ya radge.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
I think we've got some great youth players coming through and some of them are making a real impact in the 1st team.  It's hard to argue with Arsenal's recent record but we're not that far behind in my opinion.  There's plenty of clubs who would kill for our setup and I'd have to say that MacDonald has done a great job.  I'm really excited by Weimann at the moment, it's early days but he looks a class act.  As others have said, mix that with a few quality experienced signings and it could work out really well.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »

He can cross it when he gets to the byline, but he never gets there any more as he plays on the wrong side and too deep, both dictated by MCSheesh's narrow and deep modus operandi. Heels in the chalk? Get tae fuck ya radge.

Some short memories on this board, when he came into the side at the start of last season he was getting right to the byline and putting in great crosses, we didn't benefit as much as we should because our front pairing at the time was gabby and young, gabby doesn't move well enough to get the goals he should and young trying to get on the end of a cross was never going to happen.  Downing and Marc's quality delivery led to the little run where heskey got 4 in 6/7 games before he got injured and disappeared again.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
When did you last have an eye test? for example the second goal he laid on a plate against chelsea.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »

Delph could play wide left if he sorts his head out.

I can't see it.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
I do think that people sometimes expect too much of the academy, that more are going to make the grade than actually will, but when you look at what is regarded as a success in youth development (ie producing one regular first teamer is a major success) ours is quite clearly one of the best.

I worry a little that they need to be handled correctly. i always remember when Ryan Giggs started coming through, Ferguson was super cautious about how he blooded him, and I reckon that's got something to do with him having played a million games in the top flight.

Of the current batch, the one I think possibly needs to move on and build his career elsewhere is Delfouneso, he's somewhat older than the rest and has never really impressed me.

It staggers me, though, to hear people writing off Gardner after a handful of appearances. Same with Bannan. They're kids, they need time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal