collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we got the best youngsters in the League?  (Read 22884 times)

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
Have we got the best youngsters in the League?
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
OK-I know we got beaten 4-0 but I thought the many younger players looked as good as any of the older ones present and previous.
I honestly think we will make a competitive team using just them and giving them a few matches together to gain experience.
This has proved successful before and not just in football- take the early hits while the kids get used to playing at the highest level and they will mature fast.
Let the old 'uns sit on the bench-they've had their chance.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: Have we got the best youngsters in the League?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:19:22 PM »
While the incredible amount of injuries we've sustained have been (rightfully) used as a scapegoat for our current situation, I'm convinced that we've played a lot better since the team has become composed mostly of kids and academy graduates, since, say the Fulham game?

I think it comes down to the fact that the egos of the likes of Zog and Hutton go out the window and we're left with eleven players that genuinely want to do well for the club and have something to prove.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
That's the feeling I get too Chipsticks. At least they make you feel more like cheering for them if nothing else.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
I think i heard yesterday,if Given was out of the team,the average age would be 23. My fear is that McCleish will eventually suck all the skills and good habits out of them that theyve learned from the youth set up. Playing in a team,with no tactics or style could break the poor sods.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »
That's the feeling I get too Chipsticks. At least they make you feel more like cheering for them if nothing else.

That's something I completely agree with. A thought that I've had recently, particularly at the Chelsea game; is that I honestly don't think I've felt so attached to a Villa team in recent memory.

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
We definitely have the best bunch of youngsters in the league. They're holding their own in the Premier League against teams like Fulham, Stoke and Liverpool with most of them playing out of position. Give them another year or two of development in their natural positions and I think we will have a core of 10-15 really capable young players.

Then a couple of quality signings to add to that core squad and we could be up there challenging for Europe again. It's important that Randy recognizes the talent our youngsters possess and goes out to attain a manager that will help develop them and mature them in a positive, attacking style. Martinez wouldn't be a bad choice but a well scouted foreign coach wouldn't go amiss either. Do that and we could be looking at a very bright future with our youngsters.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »
We definitely have the best bunch of youngsters in the league. They're holding their own in the Premier League against teams like Fulham, Stoke and Liverpool with most of them playing out of position. Give them another year or two of development in their natural positions and I think we will have a core of 10-15 really capable young players.

Then a couple of quality signings to add to that core squad and we could be up there challenging for Europe again. It's important that Randy recognizes the talent our youngsters possess and goes out to attain a manager that will help develop them and mature them in a positive, attacking style. Martinez wouldn't be a bad choice but a well scouted foreign coach wouldn't go amiss either. Do that and we could be looking at a very bright future with our youngsters.

We just need a manager that can nurture them and not destroy them!

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »

Bring me Rafa Benitez or Paul Lambert.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
37 pages, 3 until we get into a huge argument about Delfouneso, 5 until the subject of Bannan comes up and who knows how many until we get onto my favourite subject which is we produce loads of ok youngsters along the lines of Byfield, Lee, Carruthers (Martin), Kerr, Olney, the Moores x 2 et all but very few top notch ones

Offline eastie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
Clark , gardner, lichaj and weimann have impressed me, bannan , baker and albrighton not so much!

Offline richard moore

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »
37 pages, 3 until we get into a huge argument about Delfouneso, 5 until the subject of Bannan comes up and who knows how many until we get onto my favourite subject which is we produce loads of ok youngsters along the lines of Byfield, Lee, Carruthers (Martin), Kerr, Olney, the Moores x 2 et all but very few top notch ones

Oh and Bradley, been trying to remember his name for the last few minutes. He was another destined to be a world beater!

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »

Blimey! That was quick!

Offline kipeye

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
I take it you're answering no then Richard. This will save time for future replies.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
When he was at The Dog Shit, a mate of mine who supports them reckons that he's excellent at coaching any skill out of up and coming youngsters.

I'll bet Jordan Mutch and Nathan Redmond wouldn't be half as effective as they have been if he was still there.

Offline richard moore

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »
I take it you're answering no then Richard. This will save time for future replies.

I was just being self-indulgent and showing off my knowledge of all those youngsters who were going to be the next big thing for the Villa down the years. Ignore me, most do, and I wasn't criticising the subject of your thread per se. Apologies if I gave that impression!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal