collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our referees are the best in the world  (Read 10133 times)

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: Our referees are the best in the world
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »
7,000 young reffs this year vegas so its not too bad

I genuinely believe the standards have slipped over the last few years, and they do bottle decisions at the big clubs. Look at Anfield the other week, Carruthers and Suarez go down in the area, referee gives no penalty on each decision, which one of them got booked?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
Cieran Clark lying on the floor with a head injury, Ref plays on until MANYOO lose the ball. Or Heskey down holding his head and the ref plays on.
I was going mad about that.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
with all the money  in football now, why cant they have 2 extra linos behind each goal. When the ball comes into the box, one to watch shoving, and one to watch the goal line. Oh and all officials to wear headphones to block out crowd noise

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »
with all the money  in football now, why cant they have 2 extra linos behind each goal. When the ball comes into the box, one to watch shoving, and one to watch the goal line.
Isn't that what they do in European competition and everyone finds it completely ridiculous?

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
with all the money  in football now, why cant they have 2 extra linos behind each goal. When the ball comes into the box, one to watch shoving, and one to watch the goal line.
Isn't that what they do in European competition and everyone finds it completely ridiculous?

Not sure if everyone finds it ridiculous, but I think by having 2, and like I say with one watching for fouls, pushing at corners, well just maybe some of it might stop

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
phil dowd has got the cup final  ;D

not that I'll be watching

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
Of all the multi billion pound businesses on the planet, football would be the single exception if some form of corruption did not exist.  It needn't involve money changing hands, it can be a question of unduly influencing or pressurising people, misuse of position or authority,  nepotism, favouritism,  and so on.  Outright bribery has been proven in other countries , especially Italy,  a few times.  There is no reason why the UK or England should be exempt from the liklihood of such shenanigans, given the massive sums involved now in the PL and CL.  There are plenty of refs decisions that do not appear to be adequately explained by mere incompetence.   And an alwful lot of them happen at Old Trafford n favour of the home team. 

Offline Dan England

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
I thought football was a contact sport. What really annoys me is the unwritten rule that "there was contact, it must be a foul...".
Run as fast as you can and brush against someone/something 8/10 times you'll lose balance or fall over. Apply that to the football pitch and it is perfectly possible for contact with an opposition player, at pace, and the result be a player on the floor and no foul play to have taken place.

Unfortunately this seems to be a concept that has been forgotten by modern football along with Honesty, Sportsmanship and integrity. Honest footballers aren't winners.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
Just noticed that Howard Webb is reffing the Champions League semi tonight (An all English team of officials). Will be interesting to see how he performs?

Offline nuninho

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »

not that I'll be watching

Lets hope he does a better job refereeing than the last final he did.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
I thought football was a contact sport. What really annoys me is the unwritten rule that "there was contact, it must be a foul...".
Run as fast as you can and brush against someone/something 8/10 times you'll lose balance or fall over. Apply that to the football pitch and it is perfectly possible for contact with an opposition player, at pace, and the result be a player on the floor and no foul play to have taken place.

Unfortunately this seems to be a concept that has been forgotten by modern football along with Honesty, Sportsmanship and integrity. Honest footballers aren't winners.

For me it's the single most infuriating thing about modern football, and I've been ranting about Yorke and Wilkins spouting the now traditional "there was contact" bullshit on Sunday.  Someone was defending Young saying he's only slight and very quick so the merest brush can knock him off balance.  Well tough shit, put some weight on, stand your ground and stop throwing yourself around like a great pansy you big bucket of wuss.  I suppose you can't blame him too much though  if the refs are thick/weak enough to give the fouls and the authorities weak enough to back them.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »
Just noticed that Howard Webb is reffing the Champions League semi tonight (An all English team of officials). Will be interesting to see how he performs?

All in all I thought he did ok - though he could have sent Marcelinho off at the end I suppose.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »
The difficulty is compounded by the yellow cards given recently to Suarez (vs AV), Carruthers (vs L''The Mighty Reds YNWA') and Tevez (vs Norwich) for 'simulation' which slo-mo showed were indeed all fouls.

I find the whole diving bit - and other simulated injuries - quite despicable; the problem is that refs will be castigated either way: for being over-zealous with the cards or for tolerating the sort of diving of which AY is a master.
Refs need to be wired to a fourth official in the stand with a TV monitor so that he can be briefed about the reality of an offence.

Either that, or post-match citing - as per Rugby Union - where players can be cited and punished retrospectively (I realise it won't alter the result but it will probably reduce the instances of simulation dramatically because managers will not want their players banned).

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »

Having just completed a refereeing qualification at the weekend, I can say with a little authority that Dowd takes "interpretation" to a new level.
Dowd Law ishould be made into a TV series.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »

Either that, or post-match citing - as per Rugby Union - where players can be cited and punished retrospectively (I realise it won't alter the result but it will probably reduce the instances of simulation dramatically because managers will not want their players banned).
[/quote] This is the most obvious soloution, it takes the pressure off the ref, he can give what he sees knowing that if he has been conned the citing comitee will deal with it. this would reduce the diving dramatically.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal