collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 08:43:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 08:40:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:40:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 08:38:47 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Steve67
[Today at 08:30:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:28:41 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 08:28:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 08:26:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Protest what Protest?  (Read 12174 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: Protest what Protest?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
i'm boycotting buying corned beef, i feel i must make a stand

When making a stand, watch out for asbestos.

Agree that we need to be right behind the team for the next few games.  I don't want

to condone what is classed as criminal behaviour, but whatever the outcome of the next few games, I think there should be a full scale pitch invasion at the end of the Spurs game.  For one it would prevent McLeish and some of those players walking round giving and taking applause, and secondly it will let everyone at the club know just how annoyed, hurt and frustrated we all feel. 

I'll follow you onto the pitch.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
How have a couple of joke posts about corned beef and asbestos turned into smashing up Villa Park, or at the very least invading the pitch? Stop quoting me & John when expressing your insanity!

OK, I accept I may have gone a little too far suggesting a pitch invasion after the Spurs game, but I can't really ever recall feeling this frustrated about goings on at Villa Park.  When you have the likes of Lee Dixon saying on national TV that McLeish is doing a good job, as if to say that we as Villa fans shouldn't expect any better, it really annoys me.  That coupled with the fact that journalists seem reluctant to question anyone at the club and it feels like our voices aren't being heard.   

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Protest why? Randy won't hear it from Clevland Towers.He has getting it for long enough over there.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:28 AM »
I like the idea of white flags.

We give up Randy, you win. You can have the club.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:16 AM »
The last time it took 2 relegations to change the direction of our Club which culminated in Rotterdam 1982.
Based on the replys on here it will take something similar.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:35 AM »

That's the reason I don't like the white flags. Why should we, the supporters who will be here after McLeish and Lerner have long gone, be seen to be giving up?
I did like the Underpant protest one club did a few years back, that had humour and got the point over, something like that?

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 01:36:23 AM »
Is anything going to happen? I am reading white flags/ hankies.
Hearing Season Ticket Boycots.
Does any one think that anything will happen?

It would have been quite funny if those Villa fans who attended Old Trafford had all got out a white hanky at the game.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:06 AM »

That's the reason I don't like the white flags. Why should we, the supporters who will be here after McLeish and Lerner have long gone, be seen to be giving up?
I did like the Underpant protest one club did a few years back, that had humour and got the point over, something like that?

That was Reading in 1999, and a certain Alan Pardew  did not see the funny side at all:
The much hyped Pants Day delivered. Pants Day, that started as an idea on the discussion board of this site, was a true success - with amazing scenes as the vast majority of the 6,000 crowd swung their Pants. Pants were swung in protest and for fun - but it was clear it had made a point, with both Madejski and Pardew talking in length about Pants Day at the final whistle with both the local and national media. Madejski spoke about how he saw the fans viewpoint and thought the protest was a sensible alternative to the otherwise possible pitch invasions. Madesjki was even seen to be swinging a pair of club-shop eight quid boxers, in an obvious attempt to calm the situation and join the fans. Interesting then that Pardew's opinion was entirely opposite, and that the chairman chose to take the fans' angle.

Pardew stated that the players had been brave to take the field and that he wouldn't have been able to play under those conditions - in his opinion the fans' actions were disgusting and affected the performance of his players. The players probably were affected by the swinging of pants throughout the Madejski Stadium - but not neccessarily in a bad way, as for periods of the match Reading played some pretty decent football.

PANTS. The letters could have stood for many things - but the most popular was "Players Are Not Trying Suficiently(sic)". Today that might have been true for periods of the game, but at the end every Reading player was simply gutted they hadn't got the victory they deserved. At times all we did was try but without success. It wasn't a bad game. The pants added loads to the entertainment value - but even without them it would have been one of the better games this season with Reading trying to win it and an away side also looking for the full three points. However, it's still unacceptable to draw at home against fellow relegation candidates, and those that wish to complain will find plenty to complain about.

Although there were plenty of pants on display, it seemed many had cautiously stashed a pair or two away in pockets ready for use if needed. For a brief (sorry) moment it seemed as though the day would be an anti-climax. But then, just before kick-off, a couple of scattered groups started to swing their pants above their heads, eventually it spread until the entire East Stand were swinging pants as the teams came out - even people in the West and North stands were swinging away.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 02:40:14 AM »
I like the PANTS idea.  Humorous and I’d imagine it’d create quite a buzz in the stadium which hopefully will not affect the players.  A pair should also be posted to randy so he knows the content of the protest (whatever that maybe).

Offline Summers

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 08:27:38 AM »
That's a great idea.

Offline supertom

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
"Come on pookie, lets burn this mutha fucka down!"

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »
When we play Spurs im in las vegas but I'll protest by not watching (not only that it's on about 7am)

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
or we could all buy plastic dog shit from the joke shop and hold it up for 90 minscus thats what we have been served for 18 months

Offline villanic

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »
"Come on pookie, lets burn this mutha fucka down!"

Think i might go to white castle rather than the Sunderland game. :D

Offline eastie

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »

Come off it coops you just want a chance to show us your knickers!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal