collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who do you want as the next manager? New poll option.  (Read 1431796 times)

Offline Londonvilla

Who do you want as the next manager? New poll option.
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
Unlike many fans I don't hate Alex McLeish mainly because hate is such a strong word which I reserve  for fascists, racists, muggers, etc however he is not the right manager for us. The problem with websites where fans can post their views is that it is too easy to say what you don't like without setting out a clear alternative. In addition it easy to be completely unrealistic, so with this in mind and taking into consideration the fact that:

A) it will cost between £2m - £3 million to get rid of Alex,
B) and we are losing around £200,000 every home match from empty seats,
C) and TV companies are no longer interested in seeing us play which results in a lack of revenue,
D) and you get about £1 million for each place you finish higher up in the league,
E) and some of the noise now coming out of Villa Park are clearly indicating that some of the players and the board know that they have made a mistake in appointing McLeish

Who do we want as our next manager and more  importantly why?

My choices would be

1) Ian Holloway – works on a tight budget, managed in the premiership and plays attacking football

2) Roberto Martinez – if Wigan are relegated and no bigger club snaps him up we need to remember he didn't come for an interview last time but would be guaranteed to show this time.

3) Gianfranco Zola– managed in the premiership, had no money to spend, and tried to play football

So be positive look forward who would do you want and why?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:31:40 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Who do you want as the next manager?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Sorry, I find all of your suggestions to be underwhelming in the extreme.  Also, I think you might see this one moved to the other manager threads.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
Rodgers by the way.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
I would actually take all 3 of those. Holloway for all of him being a pillock would do the job quite well and as if it were the biggest in the world, Martinez is a decent manager, with a decent budget comparitively would be interesting, and Zola did ok at West Ham under impossible circumstances while playing decent football. All 3 would need circa 30 million ish to spend on the squad though.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »
Holloway???

I remember when he was hawking Charlie Adam last year ( to get the highest offer so that he could get the best cut for himself) he called Villa a "half arsed club"

Don't be fooled by their promotion to the premier league either - they finished 6th ( 30 odd points below Newcastle, 20 below FC Smethwick) and went up through the playoff lottery

No ta 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
I hate threads like this.  As a fan I don't really care who they get as manager so long as the reasons for the appointment are right.  Put it this way, if we decided to offer the job to the manager of (for example) Heerenveen would you know who that is or anything about his approach to football?

The problem with fans looking for players or managers is you can only comment on those that you have personal experience of, and that experience is going to be far more limited than those of the people who actually make the decisions.

I hope the club have seen that this manager and his style of football were a mistake so they can start looking for someone with a better philosophy.

Personally I'd like a younger guy who will work with the youth and reserve sides to get a consistent style through all levels in the club, focusing on fitness and movement, with the instruction to close the opposition early and in numbers.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
Unlike many fans I don't hate Alex McLeish mainly because hate is such a strong word which I reserve  for fascists, racists, muggers, etc however he is not the right manager for us. The problem with websites where fans can post their views is that it is too easy to say what you don't like without setting out a clear alternative. In addition it easy to be completely unrealistic, so with this in mind and taking into consideration the fact that:

A) it will cost between £2m - £3 million to get rid of Alex,
B) and we are losing around £200,000 every home match from empty seats,
C) and TV companies are no longer interested in seeing us play which results in a lack of revenue,
D) and you get about £1 million for each place you finish higher up in the league,
E) and some of the noise now coming out of Villa Park are clearly indicating that some of the players and the board know that they have made a mistake in appointing McLeish

Who do we want as our next manager and more  importantly why?

My choices would be

1) Ian Holloway – works on a tight budget, managed in the premiership and plays attacking football

2) Roberto Martinez – if Wigan are relegated and no bigger club snaps him up we need to remember he didn't come for an interview last time but would be guaranteed to show this time.

3) Gianfranco Zola– managed in the premiership, had no money to spend, and tried to play football

So be positive look forward who would do you want and why?

i wouldnt argue with any of your choices, they all at least try to play decent football

Offline john e

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
Holloway???

I remember when he was hawking Charlie Adam last year ( to get the highest offer so that he could get the best cut for himself) he called Villa a "half arsed club"

Don't be fooled by their promotion to the premier league either - they finished 6th ( 30 odd points below Newcastle, 20 below FC Smethwick) and went up through the playoff lottery

No ta 

thats just stats,
 i would rather judge on how his teams play what they try to achieve, how entertainling his teams are, all good for me.
the stats will tell you that last season Blues and Blackpool went down, what they wont tell you is which one was worth watching and which one wasnt,
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:17:16 PM by john e »

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
no, no and no. holloway's chance at a reasonable sized club leicester was an utter shambles. west ham barely survived in zola's second season. martinez sides play good football but so do tony mowbray's teams. they win fuck all either.

chris hughton or paul lambert from candidates based in england. rodgers has had a great season but inherited a club going in the right direction and playing decent football. different story at villa where the next manager will be inheriting a shambles and effectively starting from scratch. hughton has done this twice and done it well. Lambert took over a norwich side that were in the third division and lost 7-1 to colchester.

id like to think the likes of benitez would be interested but being realistic he wouldnt be. we are going to have to take a punt on an up and coming manager

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »
I wouldn't want any of the shit Londonvilla has suggested.

I'd consider Di Matteo, once Chelsea have fucked him off.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »
The problem with fans looking for players or managers is you can only comment on those that you have personal experience of, and that experience is going to be far more limited than those of the people who actually make the decisions.

I hope the club have seen that this manager and his style of football were a mistake so they can start looking for someone with a better philosophy.

Yet with our 'far more limited experience' than the Villa board, anyone on here would have said if asked prior to appointment that there were better candidates than Alex McLeish.

For me, any new manager has to fit the following criteria:
- Be able to and willing to put the oversized egos and troublemakers in our squad in their place, which is preferably the transfer market.
- Have a clear vision of the way that they want their team to play and be able to communicate that to the fans and players
- Be able to offer strong guidance to the young players in our squad to make their most of their talents.

My first choice would be David Moyes but that isn't going to happen. I'm going to get shouted down for this, I do realise, but I would very much like Roy Hodgson, with a young assistant for him to teach. Failing that I agree that an up-and-coming manager such as Poyet, Zola or Adkins would be the way to go.

But certainly not someone like Curbishley or Bradley who would be massively underwhelming and would provide neither the sudden uplift to the fans or the sudden shock to the system for the players that is needed.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:27:05 PM »
I wouldn't want any of the shit Londonvilla has suggested.

I'd consider Di Matteo, once Chelsea have fucked him off.

That's not a bad shout at all. And I think he might consider it. After all, if he'd take the Albion job...

Offline john e

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »
no, no and no. holloway's chance at a reasonable sized club leicester was an utter shambles. west ham barely survived in zola's second season. martinez sides play good football but so do tony mowbray's teams. they win fuck all either.

chris hughton or paul lambert from candidates based in england. rodgers has had a great season but inherited a club going in the right direction and playing decent football. different story at villa where the next manager will be inheriting a shambles and effectively starting from scratch. hughton has done this twice and done it well. Lambert took over a norwich side that were in the third division and lost 7-1 to colchester.

id like to think the likes of benitez would be interested but being realistic he wouldnt be. we are going to have to take a punt on an up and coming manager

i dont think there is any chance of Holloway, i was just agreeing with Londonvilla,
 your chioces are also all good ones in my view, even though they have won nothing something you put as a negative against the ones you dont like

Offline eastie

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Lambert or rodgers please!

Offline john e

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
if we are ever going to take a punt on a up and coming manager then Carl Robinson at the MK Dons has done miracles there, and his football philosophy is pass and move

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal