collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer budget for next season  (Read 19835 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Transfer budget for next season
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »

Scouting networks are pivitol in this, and it's something I would have trusted Houllier with. MON was hopeless with his network, not sure about McLeish's either...

I was told - by someone who'd know - that MON had nothing even approaching a scouting network.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »

Scouting networks are pivitol in this, and it's something I would have trusted Houllier with. MON was hopeless with his network, not sure about McLeish's either...

I was told - by someone who'd know - that MON had nothing even approaching a scouting network.

It's well known that he followed the Clough method of training, many times he wasn't present, turned up late or turned up when people least expected it.

Which I think was half the problem with him, he thought he was Clough but didn't have 10% of the talent, humour or charisma.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

Which is why in something like seven years at Celtic and Villa, he bought something like 3 players from teams outside of the British Isles, out of his forty odd transfers.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »

Which is why in something like seven years at Celtic and Villa, he bought something like 3 players from teams outside of the British Isles, out of his forty odd transfers.

I'd love to know the rationale behind buying Habib Beye.
Must have just read somewhere that he played well for Newcastle.

With various players that he bought and seemingly went off the moment they got to Bodymoor Heath, I can only assume he never had players watched or scouted properly.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2012, 12:37:14 PM »

I can easily see the logic behind signing him.

I can't see the logic behind the length of his contract and the refusal to ever play him even though he did perfectly well on the few occasions he was allowed to play at right-back.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2012, 01:25:17 PM »

I can easily see the logic behind signing him.

I can't see the logic behind the length of his contract and the refusal to ever play him even though he did perfectly well on the few occasions he was allowed to play at right-back.

That's essentially it, Beye was a good player when we signed him. He was never worth the wages or length of contract we offered, but to not play him and offer him those things was madness.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal